Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (2 responses)

Aviara Oaks Middle School 1

Posted August 09, 2016
We moved into the district last year and had a child in the middle school. She experienced the worst bullying I have seen -- cyber bullying, physical bullying, kids chanted mean names to her in class, boys cornered her and threatened to beat her up, her picture was crossed out of the yearbook, and kids threw trash at her. We met with B. Brockett three times, each time he said it was the parenting and she was just attracted to drama. She even received text messages during school from other students telling her to kill herself. B. Brockett was shown these messages. This is a terrible place for a pre-teen who is trying to build confidence and find her path. B. Brockett seems to simply not care about the students. My daughter will have a long road to undo the pain she experienced. DO NOT send your child here. Even when you walk into the office area, the staff acts like you are intruding and do not welcome you as a parent.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted August 09, 2016
Mrs. Anderson -- wonderful person, cares about children, truly in teaching to develop our young people.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 09, 2016
I liked a couple of the teachers. But, I think overall they are unhappy and just going through the motions. There simply is no true care for the students. One teach told his entire class that they will never succeed in life. What?!

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted August 09, 2016
They are persistent in being aggressive toward each other. They are determined to one up each other with bullying behavior.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted August 09, 2016
Respect is not encouraged, no real tools are provided to the students. There are many examples of cultures that create environments for children to develop respect and compassion, yet this school is simply going through the mechanics of test taking.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted August 09, 2016
Bullying is rampant. Administration sees bullying as simply "drama" and puts the blame on the parents, even for behaviors at school or tied to the school.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 09, 2016
The administration does not even care about the kids. There is no emphasis on positive behaviors, respect, and empathy.

Aviara Oaks Middle School 5

Posted September 26, 2015
We went to AOMS with our concerns while the time Mr. Brockett was off campus for his professional learning conference. We met with Mr. Nelson who is very gentle and a kind person. We addressed our concerns about one of my son's teacher who showed both poor teaching and communication skills and gave unusual progress score by her favoritism. We also there to mentioned an incident between another student and my son. I really want to thank Mr. Nelson for his professionalism and effectiveness. Mr. Nelson took the matter very seriously and respected me and my son. He listened to my concerns without any judgment, and was quick to find the root of the problem and resolved the issue. We are very happy that my son had a new teacher starts on next school day. I also met with Mr. Brockett when he was able. I can said, they both are great, I really appreciate how they handled the matter because they listened to both sides of the stories without being particularly partial to one side or another. They genuinely cared about all the students in the school. They are actions really dissolved my worries and I just want to say again how much I appreciate their capable leadership.

Aviara Oaks Middle School 5

Posted September 26, 2015

Aviara Oaks Middle School 4

Posted September 10, 2015
I've met with the Principal, Mr. Bryan Brockett, to discuss Aviara Oaks Middle School's policy toward bullying. Unlike the previous reviewer who blames the parents for bullying, I see a larger picture. Not every parent is adept at parenting and at instilling compassion, character and decency in their children. And no matter how wonderful a parent may be---a family has other members to contend with. Some families have parents just struggling to keep their marriage afloat, parents who may be dealing with serious issues amongst their children, parents who may be working full time time to provide for their family. Let's face it: no matter how great parents might be, our kids spend the bulk of their time at school. I am convinced this school has an effective manifold system to address bullying---for the victim and the perpetrators as well.

6880 Ambrosia Lane, Carlsbad, CA  92011-5057
Last modified Aviara Oaks Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.