Carlsbad, CA
Students enrolled: 1,055

Aviara Oaks Middle School 1

Posted May 10, 2015
Not a great school. Another new Principal but will take years to clear out the mess they have in there. It's been a mess for the last 8 years. Strong parent home influence which is most of the reason kids do well. Can't give much credit to the teachers at this school. I would not recommend this school if you are looking for a good academic middle school. Calavera or Valley are getting the better reviews from parents whose kids go there. Can't say the same about Aviara Middle School.

Posted April 30, 2015
We have had two A students go through this school and with the exception of a mere handful of teachers have found it's high 8 ratings laughable. The students themselves are what makes this school exceptional. Yes, we have great test scores because we have many children that are exceptionally bright. There are countless teachers at this school that literally can't stand teaching their classes and lack patience. They rush through content or just don't teach at all. I understand that teaching middle school students with their hormones and their juvenile behavior is difficult but why did you become a teacher in the first place? If you can't answer that question with an answer that does not involve financial stability than you are doing our students no favors. Kids want to learn, they just need teachers that still love and want to teach. As for the administrators, blah! If you can afford to, we could not, skip this school and get your kids a private education. Carlsbad High School is no better. Many kids leaving to be home schooled or attend other private schools. Carlsbad just refuses to get with the times, stop their nepotism hiring ways, and make some GREAT changes!

Aviara Oaks Middle School 1

Posted April 03, 2015
School refuses to hire teachers. My son has had 5 English teachers and 14 Social Studies teachers in the same year. Needless to say, he has not been able to have a stable environment to learn. On top of that, the administration and staff conduct themselves more as bullies, intimidating the children rather than caring about the children's educational needs. The front office secretary Laura is hostile toward not only the parents and will openly fight with then in front of the students but is also rude to the children. By the second year many of us are fleeing to other alternative schools such as privates.

Posted April 02, 2015
I'm a second year student at aoms and just moved from Italy. The teachers are so supportive and can't wait to help you with everything. I think this is the best school in carlsbad because there are no issues between students and the electives are very advanced(only school in carlsbad to have photography). Teachers are all experienced.

Aviara Oaks Middle School 3

Posted February 10, 2015
This is my child's first year at AOMS. First I would like to say that, while I am stunned by the bullying that goes on at this school (sadly, pretty much on a daily basis), I happen to also be really impressed by the schools new principal and vp because they really do care and do take (for the most part) appropriate action when deemed necessary - but they can only do so much. The teachers my child got this year are amazing, as well, my child is doing very well academically speaking. Why 3 Stars then? For the bullying. It really is a HUGE problem and something (ahem...parents, you need to do a better job teaching your children that bullying is NOT OK), needs to be done about it. I believe it is ultimately the parents responsibility to see to it their children behave in a manner deemed appropriate at school. It is NOT the principals/vp's/teachers responsibility. It is not the responsibility of the kids being picked on by your kids, either. It is NOT OK. I give 5 Stars to the principal/vp and teachers at AOMS. To the parents of children with behavioral issues that won't get their children the help they clearly need and deserve, I give a negative 1 Star. Shame on you.

Posted January 25, 2015
This is my daughter's first year at AOMS, coming from a very high standard, Pacific Rim Elementary. The new principal is excellent, as well as the teachers!! My daughter is held accountable, her learning has excelled and the bullying is non-existent. I was concerned before she started because of prior opinions I had heard, but, apparently, significant changes were made prior to the start of this school year, and I couldn't be happier with AOMS. Mr. Brockett, the new principal, is wonderful and his goal is clearly to uphold the highest standards and provide a healthy education and environment for the students and parents. I'm thankful my daughter can attend this school. CB

Posted May 28, 2014
I am pulling my child out of this school. Two years is enough. There are some great teachers here, but they are few and far between. NO motivation for excellence. The leadership in the school is typical of what I have found in Carlsbad. Everyone punches a clock, does their time. Nothing extra.

Posted April 15, 2014
Two stars because my son is still there and if it were zero, what kind of parent would i be to leave him there? We have had a very terrible experience to date with most of the teachers with the exception of Band and Social Studies. Rotating administration, bullying, tenured teachers that just assign work with no follow through or compassion. Too bad the options for private school are minimal in the area.

Aviara Oaks Middle School 4

Posted June 12, 2012
My son just finished his 1st year at AOMS and overall it's been great. The teachers are great and very dedicated. Some of the staff are rude and hard to deal with but all around it's a good school with high standards and high parent participation.

Posted October 16, 2011
This is our first year here and love this school! The teachers are amazing. They are friendly and caring. The communication between the students, teachers and parents is excellent. Our son loves Aviara. We are very pleased so far into our first year of middle school.

Aviara Oaks Middle School
6880 Ambrosia Lane, Carlsbad, CA  92011
Last modified Aviara Oaks Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aviara Oaks Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top