Posted October 26, 2014
We love Poinsettia!! All around great school!! My kids are being challenged by the staff and the students are great! They have made wonderful friends here!!

Posted October 13, 2014
Our 2 kids recently joined Poinsettia. They were at a private school before, and so we were a little hesitant as to what we would get at poinsettia both in terms of academic as well as social environment. So far, we have been very impressed and happy with our decision. The teachers are great, the principal is responsive and engaged, and the PTA is very active, with lots of parents volunteering and fundraising. Our kids have met and made friends with several kids from the neighborhood, which helps to build a sense of community. A couple of areas where public schools in general don't compare well with private schools is in class sizes and differentiated learning. The class size has not been an issue as the teachers and volunteer parents do a great job of managing the classroom, plus with the reduced class sizes, our kids have 24-25 kids in their classes. The differentiated learning is a challenge, but the teacher has been very receptive to working with parents with advanced kids so that they are not bored in class. We are glad that we tried our neighborhood school before deciding against it, as the pros have definitely outweighed the cons thus far!

Poinsettia Elementary School 3

Posted August 26, 2014
My child no longer attends Poinsettia Elementary - he's moved on to middle school. That said, I am giving a review as a parent who has experienced both the old and new principals. Things in the last two years have gotten MUCH better at Poinsettia since the new principal took over. From day one we had serious issues at Poinsettia Elementary (staff was unbelievably rude to parents, the teachers (not all) were very mean and/or sarcastic, and the principal was horrible with a capital 'H'. A very bad energy all around. The bullying at this school was a huge issue involving kids, some teachers, and believe it or not, some parents, as well. Not good. Enter the new principal. She is very dedicated to the children first and foremost - and in my opinion has changed the school for the better - even the teachers/staff members are a little kinder to the students/parents under her supervision, and while she has a ways to go (cleaning up a messy school can be hard work and take time), I've no doubt she will do just that. Parents remember to support your kids and your principal by teaching your children to be respectful of others and follow the rules. This is what makes a good, strong school.

Poinsettia Elementary School 2

Posted May 06, 2014
I transferred out of this district to a school with smaller class sizes right before they lowered the class sizes. Friends that stayed say it is still crowded PTA is screechy with a "we wish we were still in a sorority" vibe..teachers always complaining about class sizes -rightfully so

Poinsettia Elementary School 4

Posted April 20, 2014
Poinsettia is making great strides! Art, Science, Music, reduced class sizes and more. It's amazing what a community can do when it bands together to work on a common goal ~ giving our students the best education possible.

Posted April 08, 2014
Thrilled with the newly reduced class size (25:1 in my son's class). We are extremely happy with his teacher and my son loves his school. I've enjoyed getting involved too. We are lucky to be at a newer campus (6-7 years old?) with a smaller student body than surrounding public schools, which gives more of a community feel:)

Posted April 05, 2014
I recently visited my grandson and his family in Carlsbad and accompanied himto the Poinsettia Elementary School one morning, where he is a first-grader. When we arrived that beautiful morning, my grandson joined his classmates for fun and games before the school day began. The joyful chatter from the playground was contagious! When the morning program started, all the kids lined up with their classes to listen to a positive message from the principal and to stand at attention, hands over hearts, facing our flag as they said our Pledge of Allegiance. The teachers were by all indications totally dedicated to the wellbeing of the kids. It was truly a heartening experience for me, and based on my observation and other information my grandson's parents have shared with me, I believe Poinsettia Elementary is a truly exceptional school. I am especially happy to see the kids are learning the meaning of our pledge to our flag and nation. I'm proud that my grandson is able to attend this fine school. Nick Ganaway

Posted October 31, 2013
We came to Poinsettia Elementary from another country and it has been a fantastic experience so far. All the teachers and staff are helpful and have been really helping our grade 5 student adapt and fit in really quickly. The community / families of Poinsettia are wonderful and have made us really feel included. We are so happy to be at Poinsettia. It is great to find everything in one school great teachers, welcoming families, great kids........

Posted October 24, 2013
We switched over from a charter school. Really scared because of some bad gossip in the community but have found out it is only a few people talking bad. Since switching, my kids have never been happier at a school. We have been impressed with the teachers, families, everything. Yes, has bigger class sizes but most public schools in Carlsbad do. For the person below that says to do private, please note that everyone is not financially secure as you must be. Private schools are very expensive & you live in a little bubble which is not real life.

Posted September 29, 2013
This school is poised to do great things! Passionate parent involvement, rising test scores, talented teachers, and a dedicated principal.

Poinsettia Elementary School
2445 Mica Road, Carlsbad, CA  92009
Last modified Poinsettia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Poinsettia Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top