Hope Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 592 students

Posted October 13, 2014

We have an excellent teacher and for that we are grateful, the front office staff is very nice as well, unfortunately the principle is more concerned with his image then attending to the concerns parents have. If you bring an issue to his attention he discounts it as mentioned below by others, dismisses you or never replies. He recently won an award but I cannot imagine why. In addition the PTA is VERY cliquey and they love to gossip, it is the "adult" version of High School Mean Girls and they are supposed to be grown ups, and if you are not accepted by them or don't fit their criteria then be prepared to be pushed out and in turn have your child excluded. If one of them does not like you, the rest will follow, they will not take the time to get to know you, they will listen to the gossip and shut you out. Hoping to transfer to a different elementary school for next year. How anyone makes it through this school for the entire five year duration is astonishing. How they won a distinguished school award is even more amazing.

Posted May 5, 2014

Hope has great potential but is limited by decisions made at the district level. Did you know that CUSD filed a waiver with the State Board of Education to allow class sizes that EXCEED the legal limits? What a dissapointment that this would even be an option! My child has 38 in her class and as the other review mentioned, severly imbalanced gender mix. The teachers and principal are doing the best that they can with what they have been given, but this decision is not in their hands. Sadly, the children are impacted the most - there is simply not enough time for the teachers to help the kids that need more support to succeed. CUSD has let down our children and is driving parents to pull out their kids and take them to Charter and Private schools.

Posted March 18, 2014

Hope Elementary has positive qualities but my main issue is the class size. My daughter's class has 38 kids. In addition the female to male ratio is lopsided with a significantly larger group of boys than girls. I complained to the Principal and he dismissed my concerns.

Posted January 23, 2014

Hope has wonderful teachers, however the class sizes are much too large making it difficult for the teachers to spend time with students that need additional help. They rush through the curriculum to meet the district standards as opposed to making sure the children fully understand and remember the subject matter which isn t fair to the teachers or the children. Great parent involvement. On the downside, there is extensive bullying without consequence and this occurs on a daily basis. There is not enough supervision during recess and lunch. The principle is somber and unfriendly and does not communicate well with parents nor does he take issues seriously. The lunch monitors are loud and rude and yell at the children saying things like "hey you better pick up that trash", setting a horrible example, my daughter hates eating lunch here. The special ed monitors do not seem experienced and they do not engage the special ed students in activities often forcing them to sit out as opposed to keeping them active or teaching them a skill and this is difficult to watch as these children need special care, love and patience. We have attended Hope for three years, this being our final year.

Posted September 15, 2013

This school is absolutely terrible, and it's not even the teachers fault. It's the superintendent's. A terrible person leading a school with so much potential, things were much better before she came along.

Posted August 23, 2013

I am writing because I take issue with what the person below wrote. I very much doubt that Hope school "went to the state" to request a waiver to ask for large class sizes!! The *district* would do that, NOT the school. And yes it is ridiculous that class sizes are huge, but that's on the CUSD and the state, NOT the school. My daughter went to Hope for 6 years and graduated in 2012. This is an excellent school and the staff and principal were great. I wish class sizes were smaller but that is not on this individual school, it's on the district. This school also has amazing parent involvement and some great programs. It felt like a family. We miss Hope!

Posted August 22, 2013

We just found out that there will be close to 40 kids in most classes at Hope Elementary this year. This school went to the state to get a waiver on the California state cap! Who could rate this school at a 9? This is a disgrace.

Posted September 14, 2012

This school is beyond amazing. The teachers are excellent at what they do, they truly care about the kids they are teaching and do everything they can each and every day to ensure that they instill a love of learning in all the children they teach. Given the challenges they face every day I find myself inspired by them. Mr. Tubbs and the entire teaching staff go above and beyond to make this a top notch school. My hat is off to them - they deserve our respect and gratefulness for all they have done for the children in this community.

Posted May 14, 2012

WOW is all I can say... This school has been a blessing to me and my children. I have two Kindergarten kids that attend Hope.. I choose to put them in different classes and LOVE both of the teachers. They are doing so well, and reading now.. Actually have been reading for a while now.... I am so impressed at how well the teachers work with all the kids. They really do care about our kids.. Hope is an Awesome school with a lot of parent volunteers and extra classes, Music, Art and they offer some free karate classes after school. I really love this school.. The Principle Mr. Tubbs is AWESOME.. The parents are great but the school could use a little bit of help at the front office..You could be standing there a good five minutes before they ask if they can help, & then they are not much help..The Nurse office is great she helped me when I needed my sons shot record & it was not a problem for her to copy it for me. She was awesome..

Posted April 29, 2012

Ms Connelly, our 2nd grade teacher has made me change the way I felt about Hope Elementary per our experience in 1st grade. She does a great job with the children, keeps the parents involved and informed through emails. She has great energy and is very knowledgeable about teaching methods and tips on how to work with kids. She uses lots of positive reinforcement and my kids love her. Overall, I gave Hope a 4 star because not all teachers are like Ms Connelly and because of the big ratio of kids/teacher and no classroom aids. I have met several parent volunteers but many of them feel like it is a chore and don't have the best attitude (Then why do they volunteer? I just don't understand them)The PTA is also not as well organized as our former school. To the PTA I would say that their events would turn out much better if they gave more advance notice (1-2 weeks ahead and then reminders) by email, so people could plan ahead to attend restaurant fund raising events or spring festivals (The same day or 1-2 days before is not enough notice) The ladies at the front desk should try to be nicer/more helpful to the parents. A smile can go a long way on how people interact with them.

Posted March 17, 2012

The parents are very involved and the teachers are engaged, friendly and available for parents and students. The office staff could use a little humor and social skills. The principal is witty and easy to talk to to. This is our first year here and hope it continues. All of the reviews about bullying do worry me and I hope the school gets it under control.

Posted February 12, 2011

I've had two children attend Hope before we moved from the district last year and felt that overall it's a good school. Parents are really involved and it has a great community feel to it. Good academics. The Principal seems somewhat harsh when it comes to disciplining the kids. I mean really...kids will be kids and I noticed that the same children were always getting picked on by him. Seems fishy to me. My previous post was deleted so let's hope my honest opinion gets posted!

Posted February 11, 2011

This is our fourth year here at Hope and I still have mixed feelings about this school. Compared to other schools academically, Hope gets an A! They challenge the kids a lot and they get plenty of homework every day believe me! They also have music, computer lab and P.E. which is great. Some teachers are excellent but there are some that just don't enjoy teaching. They seem negative, too strict and as if they have to be here instead of wanting to be here. The office staff is all over the place. You get a million different answers for the same question. Not very helpful or friendly at all. There is also no "rule" on how to come in or out of the school. Anyone can walk in at any time which concerns me. More adult supervision during free time also needs improvement. The safety of my kids is my main concern.

Posted November 11, 2010

All the Teachers here at Hope are great! My Daughters teacher has been there for a very long time and is FAR from being "Burned Out"(as someone else described) He keeps the class organized, busy, very interested in learning and at the same time teaches them a lot of discipline and keeps the class fun. I love it when my daughter comes home everyday and talks about how much fun learning is at Hope . The Principal here is also very loved by all the kids and works hard to make great things happen for all the kids at Hope..I have never heard of a Principal that puts so much of His time and effort to make this such a great school.

Posted September 15, 2010

My child's first year at Hope was a GREAT experience. Mrs. Bussey is a WONDERFUL teacher. She loves what she does. Very caring and fun teacher. I would also recommend Mr. Koopsen's tutoring if your child needs extra help. He's an amazing tutor! The parents at this school for the most part are very involved. Classroom and school activities as well. Very community oriented school. There's always guards helping to cross the street before and after school. Keeps our children safe. The principal SEEMS to enjoy what he does, but he is good at keeping school fun for the kids. They have dance, music, PE & more extra fun stuff for kids to enjoy. They also have A LOT of fundraisers every year. Curriculum is very advanced. Lots of homework. Be prepared. So far Hope has been good to our family. I'll let you know about next year.

Posted August 24, 2010

Hope teachers are very supportive of students. As a parent I have always found my child's teachers here to be enthusiastic and right on target in helping my child. I love that no one is treated as a discipline problem. Walk on campus yourself and you will see the difference.

Posted August 18, 2010

There's a lot to like about Hope school. We agree with many of these reviews which specifically mention the extent of parent involvement and how wonderful the Kindergarten teachers are. But other teachers at Hope have been there too long and are burned out. We share the opinion with several families there, as well as other families that have chosen to transfer to other schools, that academic difficulties are treated as disciplinary problems at Hope. A child who may need extra help and encouragement with academic work is instead sent to the principal's office or sent home with a disciplinary note or both, which hardly constitutes a helpful solution for the child.

Posted April 29, 2010

My kids love this school. Teachers are top notch and care about the kids alot. This is also one of the most technologically advanced schools I have ever seen. Principal Tubbs is excellent and actually heavily involved with the kids unlike most administrators. Two minor gripes are wishing for a full-day Kindergarten and the office staff is helpful, but only when prodded.

Posted January 3, 2009

We love Hope Elementary! Mr. Rai in 4th grade is a creative, passionate & highly motivated teacher. He makes learning exciting! Ms. Presley in 2nd grade is an outstanding teacher. Her class is amazing; all the kids are so well behaved! My daughter benefits so much from her motivated & creative teaching skills. Our kids LOVE the Hope TV which Mr. Tubbs take time each week to make it an exciting show for Hope kids! We couldn't be happier!

Posted September 8, 2008

Amazing school...hands-on principal...I love the Hope Elementary experience!

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students78%

• Autism
  • Other health impairments
  • Significant developmental delay
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Speech and language impairments

• Computer lab

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now