Carlsbad, CA

Posted June 12, 2015
This school needs some MAJOR changes starting with the principal. Tubbs seems to care more about being a friend to the PTA parents and taking millions of selfies than well being of his students. He doesn't seem to care to resolve problems when brought to his attention. It's frustating!!! PTA parent's are like their own little gang and unless you're jumped in you don't belong. All they do is gossip about other parent's and their children. It's ridiculous! I feel like I am back in high school. Which brings me to bullying. Happens all the time in this school. And again, principal could care less. Supposedly they take it so serious, NOT!!! There is not nearly enough supervision during recess and lunch times and when there is they're a bunch of bullies too. Out of all my years here I can tell you there is only a handful of teachers that actually care and are good at their job. I've heard teachers call kids "stupid" and telling them "they deserve" anything bad that happens to them. Completely unacceptable behavior for an adult ESPECIALLY a teacher. Classrooms are crowded and they are not divided equally with boys and girls as described in one of the requirements when choosing a teacher every year. The principal does not follow the rules why should anyone else? The only parents I have seen get the teachers they requested are of course, you guessed it, the brown nosed "gang" we call the PTA. Office staff is rude and lazy. They never have an answer to your questions and all I see them do every time I go in is eat and chit chat. Hope only cares about how good they look on test scores. Children are forced to learn at a fast pace and don't get to fully understand a subject when they have already moved on to another. Teachers can't help either as classrooms are crowded. Obviously they do not know that all children are different and learn at different speeds. Or maybe they simply DO NOT CARE! They ask for money all year long which I don't mind but when I see staff getting presents, potlucks all the time and parties every other month for teachers is insane. I thought the funds were for the kids? These issues need to be taken directly to the district and probably higher up. Hope is a joke and the definition of being discriminated on. How this school and the principal get any awards is beyond me.

Hope Elementary School
Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 12, 2015
Children are forced to learn too quickly and do not get enough time to fully understand a subject before they start a new one.

Hope Elementary School 5

Posted December 03, 2014
We were new to Hope last year, moving back to Carlsbad from Seattle after an eight-year absence. Our son is in 5th grade this year so sadly this is our last. Mr. Tubbs, the principle is a great guy; funny, loves the children and goes out of his way to interact with them, takes time to get to know them, makes sure they are happy and even takes a personal interest above and beyond. Mr. Tubbs stays late to decorate the school for events; he dresses up for holidays, and has a great drive for raising funds to make sure the school has the resources it needs. The teachers are wonderful, this year we feel very lucky to have Mrs. Lawrence, who is the best teacher we have ever had. The parents are friendly and helpful and very welcoming, we have a great time when we volunteer for school events. Hope is a wonderful school and we would recommend it to everyone.

Hope Elementary School 5

Posted November 14, 2014
I was just reading all the post about Hope Elementary, most were good but some said the class sizes are to big..Hey look around! The state of California has big class sizes.. I my self feel blessed that my kids are fortunate enough to attend Hope. I have two 8 year old in 3rd grade and they are doing excellent. They have been at Hope since Kindergarten.. They love Hope. The principle Mr. Tubbs is not somber or unfriendly, he does communicate well with parents and he does take issues seriously. I don't know why a parent posted that. He is very good with all kids and does not let any child get away with things that are not right. The teacher are EXCELLENT.. The school is EXCELLENT. Like I said I am blessed to be able to have my kids and foster kids attend Hope, very Awesome school.

Posted October 27, 2014
I've grown to become very disappointed in this school. This is our 4th year at the school and I've become worn out battling the various issues; a first grade teacher who doesn't show up to work and leaves the children out on the playground; an art teacher that yells at children to the point and makes them cry, unfriendly and disorganized office staff, and a principal that cares more about taking selfies than being responsive to parents and students to truly create an inspiring learning environment. Some of the issues I have personally witnessed over the years have gone uncorrected and should be reported to the district and the state.

Posted October 13, 2014
We have an excellent teacher and for that we are grateful, the front office staff is very nice as well, unfortunately the principle is more concerned with his image then attending to the concerns parents have. If you bring an issue to his attention he discounts it as mentioned below by others, dismisses you or never replies. He recently won an award but I cannot imagine why. In addition the PTA is VERY cliquey and they love to gossip, it is the "adult" version of High School Mean Girls and they are supposed to be grown ups, and if you are not accepted by them or don't fit their criteria then be prepared to be pushed out and in turn have your child excluded. If one of them does not like you, the rest will follow, they will not take the time to get to know you, they will listen to the gossip and shut you out. Hoping to transfer to a different elementary school for next year. How anyone makes it through this school for the entire five year duration is astonishing. How they won a distinguished school award is even more amazing.
5 people found this helpful

Hope Elementary School 3

Posted May 05, 2014
Hope has great potential but is limited by decisions made at the district level. Did you know that CUSD filed a waiver with the State Board of Education to allow class sizes that EXCEED the legal limits? What a dissapointment that this would even be an option! My child has 38 in her class and as the other review mentioned, severly imbalanced gender mix. The teachers and principal are doing the best that they can with what they have been given, but this decision is not in their hands. Sadly, the children are impacted the most - there is simply not enough time for the teachers to help the kids that need more support to succeed. CUSD has let down our children and is driving parents to pull out their kids and take them to Charter and Private schools.

Hope Elementary School 3

Posted March 18, 2014
Hope Elementary has positive qualities but my main issue is the class size. My daughter's class has 38 kids. In addition the female to male ratio is lopsided with a significantly larger group of boys than girls. I complained to the Principal and he dismissed my concerns.

Posted January 23, 2014
Hope has wonderful teachers, however the class sizes are much too large making it difficult for the teachers to spend time with students that need additional help. They rush through the curriculum to meet the district standards as opposed to making sure the children fully understand and remember the subject matter which isn t fair to the teachers or the children. Great parent involvement. On the downside, there is extensive bullying without consequence and this occurs on a daily basis. There is not enough supervision during recess and lunch. The principle is somber and unfriendly and does not communicate well with parents nor does he take issues seriously. The lunch monitors are loud and rude and yell at the children saying things like "hey you better pick up that trash", setting a horrible example, my daughter hates eating lunch here. The special ed monitors do not seem experienced and they do not engage the special ed students in activities often forcing them to sit out as opposed to keeping them active or teaching them a skill and this is difficult to watch as these children need special care, love and patience. We have attended Hope for three years, this being our final year.
2 people found this helpful

Hope Elementary School 1

Posted September 15, 2013
This school is absolutely terrible, and it's not even the teachers fault. It's the superintendent's. A terrible person leading a school with so much potential, things were much better before she came along.

Hope Elementary School
3010 Tamarack Avenue, Carlsbad, CA  92008
Last modified Hope Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hope Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top