Carlsbad, CA

Posted December 03, 2014
We were new to Hope last year, moving back to Carlsbad from Seattle after an eight-year absence. Our son is in 5th grade this year so sadly this is our last. Mr. Tubbs, the principle is a great guy; funny, loves the children and goes out of his way to interact with them, takes time to get to know them, makes sure they are happy and even takes a personal interest above and beyond. Mr. Tubbs stays late to decorate the school for events; he dresses up for holidays, and has a great drive for raising funds to make sure the school has the resources it needs. The teachers are wonderful, this year we feel very lucky to have Mrs. Lawrence, who is the best teacher we have ever had. The parents are friendly and helpful and very welcoming, we have a great time when we volunteer for school events. Hope is a wonderful school and we would recommend it to everyone.

Posted November 14, 2014
I was just reading all the post about Hope Elementary, most were good but some said the class sizes are to big..Hey look around! The state of California has big class sizes.. I my self feel blessed that my kids are fortunate enough to attend Hope. I have two 8 year old in 3rd grade and they are doing excellent. They have been at Hope since Kindergarten.. They love Hope. The principle Mr. Tubbs is not somber or unfriendly, he does communicate well with parents and he does take issues seriously. I don't know why a parent posted that. He is very good with all kids and does not let any child get away with things that are not right. The teacher are EXCELLENT.. The school is EXCELLENT. Like I said I am blessed to be able to have my kids and foster kids attend Hope, very Awesome school.

Hope Elementary School 2

Posted October 13, 2014
We have an excellent teacher and for that we are grateful, the front office staff is very nice as well, unfortunately the principle is more concerned with his image then attending to the concerns parents have. If you bring an issue to his attention he discounts it as mentioned below by others, dismisses you or never replies. He recently won an award but I cannot imagine why. In addition the PTA is VERY cliquey and they love to gossip, it is the "adult" version of High School Mean Girls and they are supposed to be grown ups, and if you are not accepted by them or don't fit their criteria then be prepared to be pushed out and in turn have your child excluded. If one of them does not like you, the rest will follow, they will not take the time to get to know you, they will listen to the gossip and shut you out. Hoping to transfer to a different elementary school for next year. How anyone makes it through this school for the entire five year duration is astonishing. How they won a distinguished school award is even more amazing.

Hope Elementary School 3

Posted May 05, 2014
Hope has great potential but is limited by decisions made at the district level. Did you know that CUSD filed a waiver with the State Board of Education to allow class sizes that EXCEED the legal limits? What a dissapointment that this would even be an option! My child has 38 in her class and as the other review mentioned, severly imbalanced gender mix. The teachers and principal are doing the best that they can with what they have been given, but this decision is not in their hands. Sadly, the children are impacted the most - there is simply not enough time for the teachers to help the kids that need more support to succeed. CUSD has let down our children and is driving parents to pull out their kids and take them to Charter and Private schools.

Hope Elementary School 3

Posted March 18, 2014
Hope Elementary has positive qualities but my main issue is the class size. My daughter's class has 38 kids. In addition the female to male ratio is lopsided with a significantly larger group of boys than girls. I complained to the Principal and he dismissed my concerns.

Hope Elementary School 2

Posted January 23, 2014
Hope has wonderful teachers, however the class sizes are much too large making it difficult for the teachers to spend time with students that need additional help. They rush through the curriculum to meet the district standards as opposed to making sure the children fully understand and remember the subject matter which isn t fair to the teachers or the children. Great parent involvement. On the downside, there is extensive bullying without consequence and this occurs on a daily basis. There is not enough supervision during recess and lunch. The principle is somber and unfriendly and does not communicate well with parents nor does he take issues seriously. The lunch monitors are loud and rude and yell at the children saying things like "hey you better pick up that trash", setting a horrible example, my daughter hates eating lunch here. The special ed monitors do not seem experienced and they do not engage the special ed students in activities often forcing them to sit out as opposed to keeping them active or teaching them a skill and this is difficult to watch as these children need special care, love and patience. We have attended Hope for three years, this being our final year.

Hope Elementary School 1

Posted September 15, 2013
This school is absolutely terrible, and it's not even the teachers fault. It's the superintendent's. A terrible person leading a school with so much potential, things were much better before she came along.

Posted August 23, 2013
I am writing because I take issue with what the person below wrote. I very much doubt that Hope school "went to the state" to request a waiver to ask for large class sizes!! The *district* would do that, NOT the school. And yes it is ridiculous that class sizes are huge, but that's on the CUSD and the state, NOT the school. My daughter went to Hope for 6 years and graduated in 2012. This is an excellent school and the staff and principal were great. I wish class sizes were smaller but that is not on this individual school, it's on the district. This school also has amazing parent involvement and some great programs. It felt like a family. We miss Hope!

Hope Elementary School 1

Posted August 22, 2013
We just found out that there will be close to 40 kids in most classes at Hope Elementary this year. This school went to the state to get a waiver on the California state cap! Who could rate this school at a 9? This is a disgrace.

Hope Elementary School 4

Posted April 29, 2012
Ms Connelly, our 2nd grade teacher has made me change the way I felt about Hope Elementary per our experience in 1st grade. She does a great job with the children, keeps the parents involved and informed through emails. She has great energy and is very knowledgeable about teaching methods and tips on how to work with kids. She uses lots of positive reinforcement and my kids love her. Overall, I gave Hope a 4 star because not all teachers are like Ms Connelly and because of the big ratio of kids/teacher and no classroom aids. I have met several parent volunteers but many of them feel like it is a chore and don't have the best attitude (Then why do they volunteer? I just don't understand them)The PTA is also not as well organized as our former school. To the PTA I would say that their events would turn out much better if they gave more advance notice (1-2 weeks ahead and then reminders) by email, so people could plan ahead to attend restaurant fund raising events or spring festivals (The same day or 1-2 days before is not enough notice) The ladies at the front desk should try to be nicer/more helpful to the parents. A smile can go a long way on how people interact with them.

Hope Elementary School
3010 Tamarack Avenue, Carlsbad, CA  92008
Last modified Hope Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hope Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top