No rating

Army and Navy Academy

Private | 7-12 | 320 students

University of California A-G Standard Curriculum, JROTC

Living in Carlsbad

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $500,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,540.

Posted November 6, 2013

This school has changed the lives of many young men that have attended and are attending.

Posted October 8, 2013

The Army and Navy academy has just had its 103th birthday. Having over one Century of history, this school develops the sense of honor integrity in its students. It is more than common courtesy, but actually taking pride in what we do and who we are. The affinity this shcool has with the US Military Academy, West Point, NY has given its cadets abundant knowledge of the military. While thriving to achieve excellent academic stardards, the Army and Navy Academy puts in good character and good life attitude in its students. The thing I love the most about this academy is the fact that it has really small class (12 people ave). Students have plenty of opportunities to communitcate with teachers. Studnets can ask questions in extra time in the evening and afternoon, teachers will be in classrooms to assist. One thing that this school might want to improve is to have classes start later. This is my second year in this school. I love its unique structure and its traditions.

Posted August 25, 2013

Our son attended the JROTC leadership camp this year. It was an amazing experience for him and us, as parents. During his sophomore and junior year at high school in Hawaii, he was having challenges particularly focusing on his work. To our great surprise, this summer program resulting in him receiving 8 ribbons, appointed commander of the 2nd platoon, and graduated in the top 10% of his class to achieve "Honor Graduate". My wife and I could not have been happier. He is there at the ANA now for his senior year and feels right at home with his peers and officers. The change in him is exactly what we have been praying to see. This is one of the best decisions that we have made and I personally believe that boys are missing out on a great opportunity to become men and leaders if they have not visiting this amazing campus on the Pacific ocean. I just spoke to him today and he is settling in and is ready to assume a strong leadership role and knows that he will be appreciated for his contributions to this school. I have not seen him this motivated and determined to succeed in years. Bravo ANA!

Posted August 22, 2013

At Army and Navy, classes are much easier to understand, making it less difficult to pass and helped me maintain a good GPA. At my old public school, the teachers were too busy dealing with six classes of thirty to fifty students, so they could not spend time with people who were struggling. With a small ratio of students to teachers, Army and Navy teachers were able to spend time to give extra lessons to struggling students. Dorm life is difficult to get used to, especially at an all boys school, but it was enjoyable enough to keep me through the year. Senior year was especially the best when it comes to dorm life. Seniors have more freedom in choosing their rooms as well as roommates. The best part about Army and Navy was that we were right on the beach. The beach in Carlsbad that the school resides in is very beautiful; with warm sand and cool waters, it was the best place to be when you want to relax and get away from school stress during your free time. The best thing that has happened to me at Army and Navy was building confidence and self esteem. I've always had low confidence and self esteem, but after going through Army and Navy, I feel much better about myself.

Posted July 16, 2013

I was only a boarding student for my senior year. I enjoyed it a lot more than going home on a daily basis. The rooms are set up sort of like a college dorm. A bed with a desk under it with a desk light, closet space for uniforms, and a set of dresser drawers that can be locked. Rooms are assigned, for new students, according to each cadet s interests and preferences. Returners are allowed to pick their roommate as long as the choice is approved by the Commandant and Residential life officer. If there is a problem with a roommate, arrangements can be made for students to move rooms. I was always a very good and diligent student during my time at the Academy. The attention that the teachers would give you if you needed it was phenomenal and very helpful. The average class size is about 15 students per every one teacher. There are a wide variety of classes for students to choose from. Different Advanced Placement and Honors courses are available to students if they are interested in that. The environment is very competitive but friendly at the same time. Overall, the Academy was very helpful to preparing me for real life.

Posted May 18, 2013

The Academy follows U.C. standards and 98% of seniors matriculate to college and universities. These are stats from the past 5 years and only a small % go off to the miltary after graduating. With graduates at MIT, John Hopkins, UCLA, NYU, Rutgers, Penn State, we are very proud of our graduates. Find out more by speaking directly to parents and alumni.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 13, 2013

While this school pretends to be a college prep school, it is nothing short of Animal House in uniform. Students getting caught with tobacco and alcohol get a slap on the wrist, no discipline unless you call doing push ups and running laps discipline. Many of the teachers have little respect from the students, deservingly so. If you give a child multiple attempts to complete something with no repercussion, how can they have respect? Doesn't matter if its a teacher or parent. The students run the school. Someone else wrote about inflated grades. We couldn't agree more. Our son did so poorly on national exams and that is a direct reflection on the school and what they are teaching. They teach the bare minimums. Is that what you want for your son? If you are going to pay all this money, go to a school with teachers who stay year to year and have advanced degrees to be role models for your son. Army Navy, shame on you for falsely luring families in just to turn out recruits for the military. parents don't be blinded by the hype. Kids don't return the following year because parents listened to them and found out the truth about what's happening there.

Posted May 10, 2013

I cannot recommend this school to any one. My son went during middle school years and basically the school is "dumbed" down with a grading scale that has 59 as a passing grade and what normally is an F in other states, is a C at this school. To make matters worse, the school allows the students to make up failing test grades and keeps the highest grade for parents to see so they think their son is doing great. The grades are artifically inflated to make the parents happy and keep paying the money to send their son here. Meanwhile the students are losing ground with their peers even in public schools. And if they see your son is not too bright, they will stick him in minimum core classes only and focus on military training. The students have video games and tv's in their rooms and freedom to roam the streets. At 12, this is a nightmare waiting to happen to some poor child. This school is only interested in churning out military recruits because they are too ignorant to graduate college. THey may get in, but don't graduate. This is NOT a typical military boarding school. it will not help your child if he has no self control or self discipline. There are much better options.

Posted January 15, 2013

This is not a reform school, or a military prison school. If your son is uncontrollable elsewhere, he will continue to be so here. Yes, they have military influences covering much of daily life, but the school does allow boys some level of self-determination, as well as access to off-campus. I don't see how you can blame a school if your son starts smoking. I'm not rich, yet my son was treated great. He had to work hard in classes, and ended up graduating as valedictorian and receiving a full scholarship to college. He participated in so many activities and won so many badges/pins I used to joke with him that his uniform looked like some sort of South American dictator! In public school he only did the minimum asked of him. He agreed to go to ANA in 8th grade as a day student, and then begged to board there for the rest of his time. He was allowed to make mistakes, and learned how to correct for them. The attention he got from teachers/counsellors was amazing. He made great friends from around the world. He's turned out to be an incredible adult, and I give ANA a lot of credit for that.

Posted July 6, 2012

As a recent alumni from the academy i can say that this school has easily changed my life. I entered the Army and Navy academy in the 7th grade with a 0.35 GPA. I recently graduated with a 4.14 GPA and just finished my first year at UCLA. This school changed my life, completely turned me around and changed me from a lazy man, to a responsible and competent man.

Posted June 26, 2012

Best kept secret in California. My son chose to repeat his sophomore year and spent three years at ANA as a boarding student, returning home on the weekends. He raised his GPA to a 3.5 and just got accepted to University of Colorado, his dream school. The structure of ANA and boarding were a little challenging at first but the small class sizes, exceptional teachers and committed leadership were nothing less than transformative. He played sports, (trained by a former olympic coach and olympian) met life-long friends including students from all over the world More than anything else though he's developed a belief in himself and his ability to succeed. The camaraderie or the boys is inspiring; I got to know many of the parents and found them to be dedicated to their boys, interesting, and successful people. This school is also not just for the politically conservative. As a parent, I will be forever grateful to the staff and faculty at Army and Navy Academy for what they have done for my son. Parents considering ANA may get my contact information from admissions; I would be very happy to share our experience at ANA.

Posted June 4, 2012

Our son voluntarily transferred to ANA at the start of his junior year due to an interest in the military and he felt he needed more structure. He chose to repeat his sophomore year so that he'd have a better chance academically at college. Now 3 years later, he's a senior and headed to a 4-year university in the Pacific northwest. He joined sports, clubs, represented ANA at ROTC and academic conferences. His grades and study skills improved, he took AP classes, earned a 4.0 his senior year. Classes were hard but he was supported by committed teachers, small classes, and academic counselors who care about each cadet. He was on Drill Team and earned leadership positions. It wasn't all easy: the transition to boarding was hard initially, as was living with disciplinary problem kids. But there were many other motivated kids there from around the world, so he forgot the bad ones after awhile (they get expelled anyways). He has matured, grown confident and accountable, become self-motivated, is his own man. As parents, we were impressed with faculty, staff, RLOs, ROTC program, parent outreach and communication. It's a great program.

Posted May 24, 2012

With 100% matriculation to college/university for the Class of 2011, this school is spectacular. The school does not tolerate drugs or bullies. If you are caught, you will be expelled immediately. The random drug tests show that the school maintains clean grounds. It also teaches teenagers during weekly Chapel service about the importance of living by example, even if it means being in the minority these days.. My son has told me that in order to succeed, you have to meet the school half way. This is not a place for bullies or students with behavioral issues. This is a place for the good students to become excellent students. Unfortunately, there are parents who are upset because they lost money on their child for being expelled and are simply trying to blame someone for their mistakes.

Posted April 14, 2012

It's all fluff and unicorns. The teacher might be good but the admin staff,well not so great. Unless you make a lot of money then they love you and your son can do what ever he wants. Which in my eyes in counter productive. My son went there and I had to work a lot to send him there. It's no difference then any other school, they have drug problems, bullies, and a bunch of spoiled rich kids that just cry to mommy if they don't get there way. Which takes away from the kids that are trying to improve. The turn over rate is very high and it was the first place he was ever exposed to drugs at that caliber. Most of the boys that attend have serious discipline issues. I took my son out and he is currently going to a private school and doing very well. I had to put a star but if there was a negative star I would have picked that. It's not worth the money.

Posted March 20, 2012

We just returned from Grandparents weekend and it was extremely informative. In spite of the rain things seemed to run very smoothly. I look forward to watching our child grow into an awsome young man.

Posted March 12, 2012

The Army and Navy Academy s mission is to educate and develop good character in young men. Unfortunately, most parents struggle today to ensure their children are raised with the basic corps values to succeed in life. At the Academy, it is their vision to instill pride in every cadet and ensure they have the traits to succeed in every aspect of their lives. For those seeking an environment that provides excellence in academics, athletics, and leadership development for young men, I d recommend you contact the Academy s office of admissions to request more information and schedule a visit. As a former cadet and Alumni of the Army and Navy Academy, I can tell you it was a critical choice my parents made to ensure I had such a foundation to succeed. The Academy was the right fit for me and was pivotal in preparing me for college, the military and airline career. With its prime beachfront location and close proximity to major metropolises and world-class colleges and universities, the Academy is an excellent place for any young man to develop and prepare for the experiences of life ahead. Parents, this is an excellent choice!!

Posted November 5, 2011

Attending ANA has transformed our son's life. The school delivers on its commitment to developing students' academic potential, leadership skills, and sportsmanship. Superb teachers and small classes are complemented by a hands on leadership team. The academic and residence life staffs work closely together to help each student develop his strengths and coping strategies to improve performance in areas in which the student is weak. We highly recommend the school. Estamos encantados con este colegio. Si estan pensando en mandar a su hijo a un internado en los EE.UU., ANA es fantastico.

Posted November 5, 2011

Army and Navy is a school that your son can gain knowledge and values, which are hard to come by in public school. The staff really care for the boys and this shows on a daily basis. With the small class room size, the teachers can teach each student, not just the class as a whole. Army and Navy Academy has helped turn my boy into a man who can go out into the world and be productive member of society, and college ready.

Posted November 5, 2011

My son came to ANA as a 9th grade student/athlete, day student. His transition has been "Great"! From the teachers, to the RLO, to the coaches, everyone has helped. The school does a very good job keeping parents in the "know" on on their child is doing in every area. We are very pleased with our decision, as we had 2 other school options, and know for sure we made the right choice. I can't say enough about the school, and the cafeteria is also a good place to eat per my son, which means I don't have to cook every night. I look forward to the coming years at Army & Navy Academy.

Posted November 5, 2011

Our son is entering his third year at ANA and I highly recommend the school for young men. The small size of the school allows boys to take risks and try new things. Our son was encouraged to join the marching band even though he'd never played an instrument before. Now he is looking to continue with marching band in college. No one falls through the cracks at ANA. They learn self-discipline, accountability, leadership and character development on top of a strong academic program. In today's world, kids seem to be floating through life, spending more time on how to beat the system as opposed to making a difference. ANA speaks to making a difference.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 28% 11%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 5% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 90% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 5% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation UCLA
USMA West Point
UCSD
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Major General Arthur Bartell, USA (Ret.)
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • All boys
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Some boarding, some day
Is there an application process?
Associations

• English as a Second Language
Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel

Performing arts
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Astronomy club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

5 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Loans

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
UCLA
USMA West Point
UCSD
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes