No rating

Leport School - Carlsbad Village

Private | K-6 | 13 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Carlsbad

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $500,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,540.

School Official Point of View

Posted May 21, 2013

Our school was founded in 1983 and is built on the classic principles of engaging minds and spirits with quality learning experiences in well-equipped, beautiful indoor and outdoor space. The focus is encouraging natural talents and developing skills so that each individual is respected and capable to participate effectively. The Director and teachers build community and support for the benefit of the children. There is an emphasis on caring for the environment, promoting well-rounded people to have lifelong, fun learning and contributing to society. The School is placed in a strategic location to build synergy with Carlsbad City Hall, Georgina Cole Library, Arts Office, Fire Department and Carlsbad Village. Connecting to science exhibits and cultural events which inspire students in their courses of study sets Montessori Arts and Sciences School apart from other programs. Mathematics, Language, Geometry, Geography, History, Botany and Zoology are explored with hands-on activities leading to projects, collaborative learning and abstract thinking, Use of technology is enjoyed for discovery and creative presentations. Montessori materials and curriculum along with resources from Educational Publishing Services, Zaner-Bloser. Singapore Math and Junior Great Books are utilized to support each individual developing toward natural potential. Stanford Achievement Tests provide framework for national standards and personal accomplishments. Music, Visual Art, Spanish, PE and Science Projects are provided weekly by specialty teachers and are integrated into curriculum subjects. Building character and work ethic are promoted in developing the whole child intellectually, emotionally, socially and physically. Our parents are supportive and valued for the efforts they make to grow the opportunities for quality experiences of the school's community. They encourage and inspire building positive energy and greatness with kindness and gratitude. Montessori Arts and Sciences School coordinates with the Carlsbad Unified School District and follows its calendar for the convenience of our families. The City of Carlsbad works closely with the Director to ensure the safety and operations of the school.

Posted May 11, 2014

Credentials do not make a great teacher. I have worked with many teachers who hold credentials but do not have "the gift" needed to convey what is necessary to reach out to each students individual needs. Are all doctors good doctors? Can you say malpractice??? My daughters reading skills continue to improve and she loves school. What more could a parent ask for?

Posted December 17, 2013

The director hired me with absolutely no Montessori certification what so ever. (& this was okay in her book) I thought at first it was unfair for parents to think I had a Montessori certification even though I didn't and were paying thousands of dollars for their kids to attend here each year. However I needed a job and tried to make it work. The director bullied me and treated me very poorly for teaching in a traditional way. On top of that, there is absolutely no curriculum. Yes, it is beautiful and charming, but the quality that goes into planning engaging and fun lessons for the kids is nothing. I was only there for a short while and all of the staff was constantly 'winging' their lessons because no one knew what her expectations were. On top of that to live in California and work here, the director only paid about $25,000 per year which is pretty much poverty in Southern California. I think that right there explains the high turnover rate. Teachers go there to try and get some experience and then leave as quickly as possible because they are so poorly paid.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 16, 2013

It is very important for parents considering this school to do their research in a number of ways. First, ask the Director how long each teacher has been on the job. Second, ask about the negative reviews and why she thinks that they were made. Third, have your child attend the school for at least a week before making a decision about placing them in the environment. Our experience with this school included confusing instructions, high teacher turnover, incorrect math instruction, and an invironment where our child felt bullied.

Posted June 3, 2013

Not to sound like a broken record, but, please, visit this school and see for yourself. Parents whose children have attended this school for years are unanimous in their praise for the level of education that their children receive(d). The overwhelming majority of students who attend CMAS continue their education at such schools as Pacific Ridge, as well as transitioning and flourishing in their public schools. I am consistently impressed and taken aback by the character, intelligence, and talent of the students at this school. These students excel in academics and art, as well as being good people. They really do teach the whole child at this school and the children thrive. My hope, and belief, is that the Director will bring in stable Montessori teachers who will be able to continue to deliver her vision to the students of CMAS. Again, do yourself and your child a favor and visit this school and form your own opinion. It's a very special school and a wonderful fit for many children.

Posted May 30, 2013

The previous posts seem to forget that the director was the one who hired the teachers and all of the full-time teachers quit. The leadership of the school, or lack thereof, is directly related to what happened with the teachers. Also, this was not an isolated case just for this year. All the primary teachers were brand new because none of the other teachers returned from the year prior. As a parent who has only educated their child in a Montessori program since he was 2 1/2, I can tell you that this is NOT a Montessori program as I understand it. Just having manipulatives available in the classroom doesn't make it a Montessori program. Bullying children into performing tasks the way you think they should be done is NOT Montessori. In the less than one year our child was enrolled, he actually progressed far less than in years prior because the curriculum was so haphazard and the leadership was encroaching in the daily operations of the classroom. That is a leadership issue. Don't forget, there is NO accreditation nor do they even have a Board or PTO for oversight. There is only one person who decides all things related to the school, its curriculum and its vision.

Posted May 19, 2013

We've been at MAS for two years, my son is happy, he loves to learn, he's well spoken, confident, inspired and I attribute much of this to his school. Unhappy parents are at every school, be sure and visit the school before you allow another parent's opinion to sway your opinion. We certainly had some teacher drama this year. May the new teachers believe in Montessori vision and have integrity.

Posted April 17, 2012

Imagine our joy finding a school that had a low teacher/student ratio, a beautiful natural environment and what we thought would be a solid cirriculum. Unfortunately, we very soon discovered that the teaching was inconsistent, assignments were rarely graded and the environment was filled with abusive verbal comments to the children, witnessed by me in person on several occasions. This is not the environment I would ever knowingly place a child into. If considering this school, please ask questions of several parents that have children currently attending the school and parents that have pulled their children from the school.

Posted March 13, 2011

I am a parent whose child attends this wonderful school. I think you should take a tour of the school and decide for your family. Yes one parent has left negative remarks but the majority of families writing reviews love this school. Not every school is for everyone, judge for yourself. Visit and talk to the other parents, have your child spend some time there, you will see that the five star reviews are true. I wrote "the only choice" because after going to almost every school in the community MAS was our first choice and we have been thrilled with the decision.

Posted February 15, 2011

I am a staff member at Montessori Arts and Sciences School. A new family touring the school today brought the Great Schools comments to my attention. Now that I have read the reviews, please know we have never asked, nor posted, five-star reviews of our school. The reviews you read are from the Montessori families. They may have seen a comment and responded. Thank you.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 14, 2010

My son needed special attention. He does not fit easily into public school, but he thrived at Montessori Arts and Sciences. The teachers and staff were very kind to my boy and his happiness and confindence grew. The school is not perfect, but what place is? That's what makes freedom of choice wonderful. It enables us to customize our lives to suite our needs. I can only speek from my experiences with M.A.S. and they were very positive. The people were kind. The director has a good heart and is very dedicated to the school.

Posted September 16, 2010

Very Strong on Arts, Language and Science. Llacking in Mathematics instruction. High teacher turnover. Could be a wonderful institution with clear leadership and sticking to curriculum.

Posted August 28, 2010

My son has attended CMAS for one year. We are very pleased with the level of education he has received. He is exceeding his grade level and is challenged in his work. We love the staff at the school. The teacher to student ratio is wonderful. My son gets so much individual attention that he would never receive at a larger private school or public school. The school understands our goals for our son s education and works with us to achieve them. The academic program is very well rounded- arts, science, math, Spanish, reading, music, language/grammar/poetry, physical education, and more. The students are hands on not just sitting in a class being lectured to. My son enjoys learning and his desire to learn has increased. The parent involvement is very high. I recommend this school very highly- if you want the best for your child s education, this is the only choice.

Posted August 28, 2010

My third child is now attending Montessori Arts and Sciences and we have been with the school for nine years now. The program is well rounded and creative. The children read a wide variety of books and math is taught from a very understandable level. All of the artwork is amazing and the curriculum is very rich in culture, art and music. The school is not focused on an annual standardized test, although the children do take one, so the instruction time is spent on a variety of arts, languages and academics.

Posted August 16, 2010

MA&S is by far the best school we've found in North County. The student/teacher ratio is superb, teachers are enthusiastic, interested in each student's personal growth, and extremely capable. Be wary of negative reviews, the ones that I saw were quite surprising and sounded angry, personal, and as if they were written by one person. Note that the vast majority of reviews are 5-star and the only negative reviews are 1-star. Does that make sense to you? This is a wonderful place where our children are thriving (their standardized test scores after 2nd grade averaged at the 5th grade level with two of 11 in 9th grade and only one at 2nd, none below). Outstanding! Wonderful teachers, extremely well-behaved students, and fun parents make this a fantastic place to be.

Posted July 28, 2010

Excellent school. My daughter is learning things in 5th grade that I did not do until high school. Highly recommended

Posted July 26, 2009

Amazing school, everyone from the office assistant to the director is fully invested in turning our child into a well rounded little adult! I look forward to this year's up and coming experiences.

Posted July 9, 2009

Check your gut and listen to your kids. From day one, my child would come home from this school upset. I kept putting it off to an adjustment period. My child was confused and frustrated. The school is in a beautiful setting and offers many field trips but this means nothing when your kid is miserable. Not a safe, comfortable learning environment. I personally found it difficult to communicate with the director/teacher.

Posted July 1, 2009

Our child attended this school and we highly recommend caution when considering enrolling your child in this school. I personally witnessed the teacher/director yelling at the children and speaking to me about private issues pertaining to other children in the class. This behavior is highly unprofessional. There is a lack of continuity and clear direction with assignments. Assignments are randomly changed which confuses the children. On several occasions our child would return from school and and tell us that another child had left the school. Finally, our child asked us to remove her from this school.

Posted June 28, 2009

Montessori Arts and Sciences is a fantastic learning environment for young minds. Students are continually challenged with stimulating and interesting materials. My child has a true thirst for learning, and regularly teaches me a few things. I see many negative reviews about the high turnover rate at this school. I do not feel that this is a fair assessment due to the fact that the school is so small and intimate. Every child or teacher that leaves the school is felt throughout the school, but if this were the same size as a public school, this turnover rate would go unnoticed. If you are looking for a personalized education for your child, this school is for you. There is no other place like it. Take a look and see for yourself, you will not be disappointed!

Posted June 24, 2009

I am so grateful for the opportunity to send my children to this school. Everyday when I drop them off I know that they are safe, cared for, and receiving a fantastic education. The nurturing environment has provided the perfect setting for my children to learn and love every minute of it. They have formed lasting relationships with their teachers and friends.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 8:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Christina Cattaneo
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Support community service