Carlsbad, CA
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Our school was founded in 1983 and is built on the classic principles of engaging minds and spirits with quality learning experiences in well-equipped, beautiful indoor and outdoor space. The focus is encouraging natural talents and developing skills so that each individual is respected and capable to participate effectively. The Director and teachers build community and support for the benefit of the children. There is an emphasis on caring for the environment, promoting well-rounded people to have lifelong, fun learning and contributing to society. The School is placed in a strategic location to build synergy with Carlsbad City Hall, Georgina Cole Library, Arts Office, Fire Department and Carlsbad Village. Connecting to science exhibits and cultural events which inspire students in their courses of study sets Montessori Arts and Sciences School apart from other programs. Mathematics, Language, Geometry, Geography, History, Botany and Zoology are explored with hands-on activities leading to projects, collaborative learning and abstract thinking, Use of technology is enjoyed for discovery and creative presentations. Montessori materials and curriculum along with resources from Educational Publishing Services, Zaner-Bloser. Singapore Math and Junior Great Books are utilized to support each individual developing toward natural potential. Stanford Achievement Tests provide framework for national standards and personal accomplishments. Music, Visual Art, Spanish, PE and Science Projects are provided weekly by specialty teachers and are integrated into curriculum subjects. Building character and work ethic are promoted in developing the whole child intellectually, emotionally, socially and physically. Our parents are supportive and valued for the efforts they make to grow the opportunities for quality experiences of the school's community. They encourage and inspire building positive energy and greatness with kindness and gratitude. Montessori Arts and Sciences School coordinates with the Carlsbad Unified School District and follows its calendar for the convenience of our families. The City of Carlsbad works closely with the Director to ensure the safety and operations of the school.
May 21, 2013

Leport School - Carlsbad Village 4

Posted May 11, 2014
Credentials do not make a great teacher. I have worked with many teachers who hold credentials but do not have "the gift" needed to convey what is necessary to reach out to each students individual needs. Are all doctors good doctors? Can you say malpractice??? My daughters reading skills continue to improve and she loves school. What more could a parent ask for?

Posted October 14, 2010
My son needed special attention. He does not fit easily into public school, but he thrived at Montessori Arts and Sciences. The teachers and staff were very kind to my boy and his happiness and confindence grew. The school is not perfect, but what place is? That's what makes freedom of choice wonderful. It enables us to customize our lives to suite our needs. I can only speek from my experiences with M.A.S. and they were very positive. The people were kind. The director has a good heart and is very dedicated to the school.

Leport School - Carlsbad Village 3

Posted September 16, 2010
Very Strong on Arts, Language and Science. Llacking in Mathematics instruction. High teacher turnover. Could be a wonderful institution with clear leadership and sticking to curriculum.

Posted August 28, 2010
My son has attended CMAS for one year. We are very pleased with the level of education he has received. He is exceeding his grade level and is challenged in his work. We love the staff at the school. The teacher to student ratio is wonderful. My son gets so much individual attention that he would never receive at a larger private school or public school. The school understands our goals for our son s education and works with us to achieve them. The academic program is very well rounded- arts, science, math, Spanish, reading, music, language/grammar/poetry, physical education, and more. The students are hands on not just sitting in a class being lectured to. My son enjoys learning and his desire to learn has increased. The parent involvement is very high. I recommend this school very highly- if you want the best for your child s education, this is the only choice.

Posted August 28, 2010
My third child is now attending Montessori Arts and Sciences and we have been with the school for nine years now. The program is well rounded and creative. The children read a wide variety of books and math is taught from a very understandable level. All of the artwork is amazing and the curriculum is very rich in culture, art and music. The school is not focused on an annual standardized test, although the children do take one, so the instruction time is spent on a variety of arts, languages and academics.

Posted August 16, 2010
MA&S is by far the best school we've found in North County. The student/teacher ratio is superb, teachers are enthusiastic, interested in each student's personal growth, and extremely capable. Be wary of negative reviews, the ones that I saw were quite surprising and sounded angry, personal, and as if they were written by one person. Note that the vast majority of reviews are 5-star and the only negative reviews are 1-star. Does that make sense to you? This is a wonderful place where our children are thriving (their standardized test scores after 2nd grade averaged at the 5th grade level with two of 11 in 9th grade and only one at 2nd, none below). Outstanding! Wonderful teachers, extremely well-behaved students, and fun parents make this a fantastic place to be.

Posted July 28, 2010
Excellent school. My daughter is learning things in 5th grade that I did not do until high school. Highly recommended

Posted July 26, 2009
Amazing school, everyone from the office assistant to the director is fully invested in turning our child into a well rounded little adult! I look forward to this year's up and coming experiences.

Leport School - Carlsbad Village 1

Posted July 09, 2009
Check your gut and listen to your kids. From day one, my child would come home from this school upset. I kept putting it off to an adjustment period. My child was confused and frustrated. The school is in a beautiful setting and offers many field trips but this means nothing when your kid is miserable. Not a safe, comfortable learning environment. I personally found it difficult to communicate with the director/teacher.

Leport School - Carlsbad Village 1

Posted July 01, 2009
Our child attended this school and we highly recommend caution when considering enrolling your child in this school. I personally witnessed the teacher/director yelling at the children and speaking to me about private issues pertaining to other children in the class. This behavior is highly unprofessional. There is a lack of continuity and clear direction with assignments. Assignments are randomly changed which confuses the children. On several occasions our child would return from school and and tell us that another child had left the school. Finally, our child asked us to remove her from this school.

Leport School - Carlsbad Village
3016 Highland Drive, Carlsbad, CA  92008
Last modified Leport School - Carlsbad Village is a Private school that serves grades K-6
Leport School - Carlsbad Village Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top