Carmel, CA

Junipero Serra School 1

Posted August 25, 2013
Years after I completed grades 1-8 there, I am sad when I think of my time at JSS. Kindness was rare from staff and parents alike. I try not to think that my non-English speaking, single family home had something to do with the way I was treated. Supportive, intelligent priests when I was an altar boy keep me from giving zero stars.

Posted November 29, 2012
We relocated as a military family to Carmel, CA in July 2011 in time for our daughter to attend 6th grade at JSS. She was invited to participate in the Volleyball Camp before school started. She loved it and was able to meet some classmates before the start of school which really helped. Our daughter had been at the same school back in North Carolina from kindergarten through fifth grade so this was her first time going to a new school. Since day one, our family has been welcomed with open arms and we feel very blessed to be part of such a faith-filled close-knit community. We have been happy with the curriculum as well as the variety of school sports offered. And what a beautiful campus! Not all of the missions are able to have schools; how fortunate we are to have one here at the Carmel Mission!

Posted November 29, 2012
Our family has been at Junipero Serra School for 13 years. We have a son who graduated from Junipero Serra and is a senior at a local private Catholic boys school. He was very prepared for high school and has continued to be successful maintianing high academic honors. He could have not done this without the solid foundation he received at Junipero Serra School. We also have a daughter who graduated from Junipero Serra last year and is in her freshman year at a private Catholic girls school. She also receive a very impressive academic foundation and is doing well in high school. Our youngest is a fifth grader at Junipero Serra School and she has loved each of her years there and all of her teachers. My husband and I are Catholic and we feel very strongly that our children have a grounded moral compas largely in part to their interaction daily with the staff, administration, students and other parents at Junipero Serra School. The school has high academic standards as well and puts great emphasis on curriculum development across all grades. My husband and I have always been involved and volunteered at school, parent participation is needed and encouraged.

Posted November 28, 2012
Our daughter has been at Junipero Serra School for more than six years now, and we have found it to be a great learning environment! We feel that JSS, thus far, has provided our child with a very complete education encompassing her academic self, as well as her character and all of this has been done in a structured, yet loving environment. In fact, the environment has been so positive that our daughter has referred to it as her second home, and even at this age, looks forward to school every day. The teachers at JSS are known for their longevity at the school, as well as their dedication to and investment in their students. As a whole, they concern themselves with providing each child an outstanding education, and finding the key that unlocks each individual s potential, at all levels of the learning spectrum. And although each teacher has his/her own methodologies, we ve been impressed at the various grade levels over these past six years and the successful nature of each has been consistently reflected each year in our daughter s performance on national standardized testing. Needless to say, we recommend JSS to any family searching for a new school!

Posted November 28, 2012
We have 3 children attending JSS. Our daughter is in 8th grade (and has attended since kindergarten) and our sons are in 2nd grade and Prek this year. Between all 3 kids we are in our 14th academic year. We couldn't be more pleased with our experience. Our children love going to school and have experienced a rigorous academic schedule, made great friends from lovely families and participated in many extracurricular activities. The middle school sports program is unbelievable. No other school can compare. Jss athletes have superb coaching and excellent role modeling...they are always top of the line in terms of skill and sportsmanship. The teachers (and we have had all of them by now) are excellent. Extremely talented, loving professionals who take great pride in their work. They know and focus on every child always extending themselves past the "usual" academic day. My daughter is applying to very competitive private high schools in our area and is being received by them very well. I have no doubt she will do well in one of these schools next year. This is a great choice if you are looking for a place for your child to learn, feel special and a part of a loving and welcoming spot.

Posted November 01, 2012
Our daughter is now in her 3rd year at Junipero Serra and she's had a great experience so far. We did a lot of research when we got stationed in Monterey, as there are several public and private schools in the area. Junipero Serra was one of the most affordable options that offered strong academic and extracurricular programs in a close, family-like atmosphere. The teachers and staff are fantastic and dedicated to the students. They also stress morals, values, and faith which is very important to our family. In addition, the school is very military friendly and welcomed us in with open arms.

Posted August 21, 2012
My daughter went to school here K through 2nd grade. It was not a good fit at all, and I wish I had never left her there as long as I did. While she was there her self esteem was very low. It was amazing to me that she could become invisible in such a small school. I moved her to Carmel River School in 3rd grade and she instantly was a new child, happy and loving school. I wish she could have gotten that from JSS.

Posted August 10, 2012
My daughter completed 2nd grade last year at JSS. We are a Hispanic family on military orders. I had big hopes for this school but it has been a huge disappointment. 2nd grade had 30 kids.The academics level is very low compared to other private schools in the area. "Special" teachers are basically babysitters who teach almost nothing. The social aspect of the school concerns me. JSS gives a weird vibe and I want to believe that our race is not the cause, but rather that we're a military family that will move in 2 years and we were never considered part of the JSS family. The administrative assistant is very rude. She yelled at me when I brought up a mistake they made on my daughter s attendance records. The principal corrected the mistake but no apologies from her rude staff. Some parents say she's rude to everyone, but nobody does anything about it. My 2 stars are for the 2nd grade teacher and her aide; my daughter loved them and us leaving has nothing to do with them. Kudos to the classroom moms. To sum up, yes, this school isn't for everyone. Since I care for my daughter s education and I prefer a friendlier atmosphere, I decided to take my money and invest somewhere else.

Junipero Serra School 4

Posted May 12, 2012
We completely disagree with the previous reviews. Our children have attended Junipero Serra School in Carmel, CA for 7 years. Today, they attended the Monterey County "Mathletics" competition. They have recieved an excellent education. almost all of their teachers have been excellent, and the school's small class size and nurturing environment vs. cost are beyond compare in the local area. The schools budget is paltry and requires parent participation in fundraising. Teachers don't work for the salary; they could make more at McDonald's. Most are retired, long-term teachers who are there because they love the school. It's not perfect, but for 4-5 times more, kids can go to other private schools. Unfortunately, the school isn't for everyone, but if you find it not suiting your needs, there are numerous other public\private schools in the area that are top-notch.

Posted March 30, 2012
I completely agree with the review posted on Feb. 08, 2012. It is 100% accurate.

Junipero Serra School