California Montessori Project-San Juan Campus School

Charter | K-8 | 898 students

Posted September 25, 2014

I'm in Middle School at American River CMP on Kermit. I used to love the school, now it's gone very down hill. They tell us and parents they want to communicate and work together, but its just words. No action. They have all the Seventh and Eighth graders eat lunch with the 5 year old Kindergardeners at the same time. They make up changes and new rules that limit our middle school society and we only have 64 Seventh and Eighth graders to start with. It really sucks, and the teachers are boring. Doesn't feel like we are learning much this year, and they used to want us to have a community feeling but now they never let us be a community like field trips are only by homeroom now so only like 21 of us get to go at a time now. Stupid. I hate having to eat lunch with the 5 year olds.

Posted September 10, 2014

I am very surprised by some of the negative comments on this site. Very sorry for your experience, but I have nothing but good things to say! I brought my 3rd grader here from public school last year and my Kinder began here....what a FABULOUS year it was. Now they are starting 4th and 1st, with brand new teachers (to the school) and are thriving and enjoy every day! My youngest has some issues with her friend and they help them learn to communicate and work things out together to find a peaceful solution. Community events are wonderful, too and the parent involvement is very high. I am so glad I made this choice for them...we all are so happy here. I have also had nothing but positive experiences with the administration and very responsive to my questions or one time, a concern. The school is getting big but in order to have this location, they had to fill it and we want to keep the location! The school now has an art room, science room, dance room, music room...what else?!! :)

Posted September 8, 2014

The Carmichael school was a big disappointment. We brought our child here with high hopes of a caring environment. After only three weeks we are taking him out due to bullying and flat out abuse. The reaction from the staff when we brought up the many incidents was pathetic. This school is not interested in actually supporting children on their academic path. I would not recommend taking your child here, especially if they are new to the 7th and 8th grade program as there will be no support for the new kid whatsoever. To tolerate a child being abused by other children when the ratio is so small is beyond unacceptable.

Posted September 5, 2014

My kids, ages 7 and 12, switched from a public school to this Charter/Montessori this year. My 7 year old couldn't be happier. He didn't fit into the public school mold and he is loving the small class sizes, individual attention from the teachers, the hands on activities, the outdoor activities, the social environment, and just about everything else. He comments on a daily basis about how much better it is than his last school. My daughter fit the public school mold just fine, she is very self motivated and an A student. She was in all advance classes before so she is still working on finding her place, academically, in this school because she has yet to find the level at which she feels challenged, but the teachers are working on getting her where she needs to be. She likes the environment and the classroom style much better, enjoys the smaller class sizes, and feels like the school is just ran better all the way around. She said she feels like the kids are seen and heard, nut just shuffled around. Overall, I am very pleased. I love the level of parent involvement, the communication between school and parents, and the feeling that everyone cares and works together.

Posted August 25, 2014

I am so happy my daughter and eventually my son can attend CMP-C. The teachers are fantastic and the parents are supportive and involved. My daughter comes home everyday talking about things she is learning and expresses how cared about and safe she feels at this school. There are experiential learning components, sensorial learning, and fun activities. I couldn't ask for more!

Posted September 5, 2013

Please be aware when you read these reviews that the "San Juan Campus" is actually three different CMP schools (Carmichael, American River, and Orangevale). When I toured these campuses I found them very different, although they are all in the CMP system. My daughter is in the AR campus and every day my husband and I are thankful we chose this school for her. We can't wait until our son can go there too. And in fact we WISH we could have been educated in Montessori schools; I know I would have spent so much less time in school counting ceiling tiles in primary school if someone would have taken me out of a desks and let me explore and learn at my own pace. The bottom line is, if you believe in Montessori education, do the homework, research, and visits to these schools and make your own decision about how your child will be educated.

Posted August 29, 2013

This school is mean. The teachers are too strict and this school allows bullying. Their academics may be somewhat high but there is always drama going around the school. I don't recommend this school for your child unless you want your child crying all the way home.

Posted June 10, 2013

Very prejudiced school. A lot of bullying going on also. Both the principal and the head administrator responded with lukewarm interest to our concerns

Posted June 7, 2013

I signed my kindergartener up for this school lottery, with high hopes. You are fed a lot of inaccurate information to get you to sign up. Parent involvement and an "open door policy" are claimed, but not actually provided. The principal, Ms. Kim, is uninvolved and unavailable. Unless you have a fundraising project or idea, prepare to be dismissed. She is apparently " always in meetings". You will only see her on campus for show on tour days. It is no wonder that everyone that applies to this campus gets in. They have more spots open then they can fill. Save yourself time, energy, and many headaches by not going to this school.

Posted October 27, 2012

Teachers wonderful! Students wonderful! Administration is lacking. Always on campus but seem to choose the wrong things to focus on. Bullying is permitted, sadly!

Posted September 14, 2012

The teachers at this school are among the best ever. Every year the children and I are pleased with their positive and gentle treatment of the students. I can't imagine going anywhere else. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the administration. I'm not sure if it is a lack of funds for training, or if they just can't afford to hire experienced administraters. There seems to be a lack of support and communication with the teachers, and an overall lack of trust in the leadership. I hope they don't end up loosing all of these great teachers.

Posted March 24, 2011

Love the low student to teacher ratio. Wonderful learning enviroment. Children can learn at their own pace

Posted March 14, 2011

I am in Middle School and have been in this school for 4 years now. The teachers are all nice, caring, and are committed to teaching you personally what you need to learn. I am so happy I went to this school! The only flaw is the principal leadership isn't that great, they ignore some important problems and make a big deal about little ones. Other than that they are great.

Posted June 15, 2010

This school has so many positive aspects that far outweigh the negative ones. My child has had a montessori education since she was 3. CMP does a great job implementing the montessori philosophy within the constraints of being a public school. The extracurricular activities available are many- music, theater, sports, girl scouts, etc.. My daughters teachers this year were so caring and proactive. She really improved so much and it's been a joy to see her mind and personality blossom. There is room for improvement and there are things I am less than thrilled with but the school tries hard and it shows.

Posted April 15, 2010

I LOVE the Montessori philosophy and the California Montessori Project provides an excellent Montessori education. They honor the child, the learning process, the family and the community. They teach the responsibilities that come with freedom. They teach peace education, the love of diversity, inclusiveness and to celebrate our differences. They provide a well rounded education for the whole child and the family. Their teachers are Californian credentialed teachers in addition to being Montessori certificated teachers - such is their dedication to providing the best learning environment for all children. The teachers are outstanding and are doing what they LOVE to do. The studens LOVE learning and being in school - that says it all!

Posted October 20, 2009

I have never been so impressed as I am with CMP/AR Campus. The teachers are exemplary, caring, creative, and dedicated to their students learning. There seems to be a strong committment by teachers and staff to give their best. We are very proud of our school!

Posted September 16, 2009

My daughter receives the utmost attention and parent involvement. They have converted my daughter, who was not excited about being around others, to someone who cannot wait to go to school and learn math.

Posted July 24, 2009

My child is very smart and was bored in class waiting for his classmates to master lessons at his previous traditional elementary school. At CMP, he has been able to learn at his pace and not wait for others to master lessons that he easily understood. If he was struggling with a lesson, he could spend more time to master it. It is a child driven school, so if your child is not a self motivator, might not be the best fit. Class sizes are small, and lots of opportunities for parent participation.

Posted December 21, 2008

My School Is The Greatest! We learn So Much Stuff & We Have Fun While We're At It.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 11, 2008

I love my school! It is really cool and you learn loads.
—Submitted by a student

(2012)

6 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students50%

Fluent-English proficient and English only65%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)50%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate73%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students48%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 23%N/AN/A
English language learners 4%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Kim Aldridge
Fax number
  • (916) 864-0084

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori