Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I love this school. Parents are involved and each classroom has a teacher and an assistant. Class sizes are small. There are also a lot of field trips and opportunities for hands on learning.

I chose to send my grandson here (Carmichael campus) for Kindergarten as I was a Montessori kid back in the 60's. What a horrible mistake. He was always such a happy-go-lucky little boy until he started Kindergarten. If your child is an independent thinker AT ALL, this isn't a good fit for them. Staff was very unprofessional (and under educated in the true Montessori process), they paid absolutely no attention to the children as individuals and actually allowed them to fall behind if they didn't "MASTER" a concept immediately. By the end of the school year I was ready to shove the "Peace Rose" up the teacher's left nostril. Seriously. The principle for the 2015/2016 school year was as clueless and unprofessional as could be. Now that we've enrolled my grandson in Charles Peck for 1st grade, he's swiftly catching back up...not only on his academics, but his self esteem, too. The teachers at Charles Peck love him and are working with him in a way that wasn't even considered at CMP. I feel awful for subjecting our sweet boy to CMP-Carmichael as his introduction to education. What a waste of a school year.

If you want your child prepared for high school, this is not the charter school to send them to. I dare say this school barely qualifies as a true Montessori school. It's a shame. And the comments about the school allowing bullying...I don't think they allow it per se but they sure don't do much to stop it either.

Our son attended K and 1st here. We were very unhappy and suspicious when he seemed stressed out in K...he couldn't "master" a task. When I went in 2 days in a row I felt the tension from the K teacher. Mastery does NOT MEAN 100%. by the end of 1st he hated school and was below in reading. This is WAY too young to hate school in my opinion. When I asked him if he asked the teachers for help his response was "yes, but they just walk around w/their clip boards, they dont help us." Interesting response for a 5 yr old! I was also VERY uncomfortable in K when on the 1st day of school, I was told for the 1st time "No parents allowed for the first 6 weeks while we indoctrinate the children." ??? I should have grabbed him running then. I've never heard of such a policy.

I am very surprised by some of the negative comments on this site. Very sorry for your experience, but I have nothing but good things to say! I brought my 3rd grader here from public school last year and my Kinder began here....what a FABULOUS year it was. Now they are starting 4th and 1st, with brand new teachers (to the school) and are thriving and enjoy every day! My youngest has some issues with her friend and they help them learn to communicate and work things out together to find a peaceful solution. Community events are wonderful, too and the parent involvement is very high. I am so glad I made this choice for them...we all are so happy here. I have also had nothing but positive experiences with the administration and very responsive to my questions or one time, a concern. The school is getting big but in order to have this location, they had to fill it and we want to keep the location! The school now has an art room, science room, dance room, music room...what else?!! :)

The Carmichael school was a big disappointment. We brought our child here with high hopes of a caring environment. After only three weeks we are taking him out due to bullying and flat out abuse. The reaction from the staff when we brought up the many incidents was pathetic. This school is not interested in actually supporting children on their academic path. I would not recommend taking your child here, especially if they are new to the 7th and 8th grade program as there will be no support for the new kid whatsoever. To tolerate a child being abused by other children when the ratio is so small is beyond unacceptable.

My kids, ages 7 and 12, switched from a public school to this Charter/Montessori this year. My 7 year old couldn't be happier. He didn't fit into the public school mold and he is loving the small class sizes, individual attention from the teachers, the hands on activities, the outdoor activities, the social environment, and just about everything else. He comments on a daily basis about how much better it is than his last school. My daughter fit the public school mold just fine, she is very self motivated and an A student. She was in all advance classes before so she is still working on finding her place, academically, in this school because she has yet to find the level at which she feels challenged, but the teachers are working on getting her where she needs to be. She likes the environment and the classroom style much better, enjoys the smaller class sizes, and feels like the school is just ran better all the way around. She said she feels like the kids are seen and heard, nut just shuffled around. Overall, I am very pleased. I love the level of parent involvement, the communication between school and parents, and the feeling that everyone cares and works together.

I am so happy my daughter and eventually my son can attend CMP-C. The teachers are fantastic and the parents are supportive and involved. My daughter comes home everyday talking about things she is learning and expresses how cared about and safe she feels at this school. There are experiential learning components, sensorial learning, and fun activities. I couldn't ask for more!

Please be aware when you read these reviews that the "San Juan Campus" is actually three different CMP schools (Carmichael, American River, and Orangevale). When I toured these campuses I found them very different, although they are all in the CMP system. My daughter is in the AR campus and every day my husband and I are thankful we chose this school for her. We can't wait until our son can go there too. And in fact we WISH we could have been educated in Montessori schools; I know I would have spent so much less time in school counting ceiling tiles in primary school if someone would have taken me out of a desks and let me explore and learn at my own pace. The bottom line is, if you believe in Montessori education, do the homework, research, and visits to these schools and make your own decision about how your child will be educated.

This school is mean. The teachers are too strict and this school allows bullying. Their academics may be somewhat high but there is always drama going around the school. I don't recommend this school for your child unless you want your child crying all the way home.

Last modified California Montessori Project-San Juan Campus School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.