Carmichael, CA

Mary Deterding Elementary School 3

Posted October 22, 2014
I SO agree with the parent who wrote on July 29. These are the same complaints I hear from my child and other children in the classroom. Some of the teachers and assistants are so unprofessional and disrespectful to the children.. Rude, insulting, just plain mean. The art teacher is as cold as ice and a control freak. Very few of the kids enjoy Art class because of that, but she couldn't care less. It baffles me why teachers who obviously dislike being around children, are teachers. If you think the teachers and principal are "great, awesome, etc." you need to listen more to your child. Ask him/her how things really are on a daily basis. They're not allowed to complain at school or they get in trouble so be sure to give them that opportunity after school.

Posted July 01, 2014
I read all the comments for this school and was shocked at the negative reviews. My daughter and I are rating this school a 5 star school!! Neither of us encountered any negative issues. Everyone was very warm and welcoming at the school and the events. My daughter's teacher was Awesome! Very open with the communication, informative about class assignments as well as my daughters progress in class. My daughter had no complaints about the school or problems with bullying as other parents are claiming happens here. Actually it was quite the opposite. My daughter says she was accepted right away and welcomed by the kids there. The plays/shows were Awesome and my daughter loved being on stage for the performances! Im definitely keeping my daughter here for 3rd grade!! My daughter and I both give the school an excellent rating~! The only suggestion I can make for this school is to have a review done of the drop-off/pick-up areas. However, that congestion problem exists at every school for parents waiting to the last second to get their children to school. Come a few minutes early and there is little to no traffic at all.

Posted January 18, 2014
The rapid learner classes are still separate from the other classes so the instruction all day does provide that enrichment that you are looking for, the only area of intrgration would be feild trips and some art instruction. I feel this integration is important for the students and the school as a whole. Success is defined by so much more than academics. It is important to show our children how to relate, communicate and make friends with everyone. Having had one child in RL and one in neighborhood classes there is a feeling of superiority of those in RL that is felt by the other children. We have a duty as parents to everything possible to ddevelop their self esteem. If your not happy then leave.

Mary Deterding Elementary School 2

Posted January 17, 2014
I placed my daughter in this school to be part of the gifted program. In the five years we've been at Deterding, we have seen the rapid learner program decline dramatically due to pressure to make the school more "equal" in instruction. I believe every child deserves to reach his/her highest potential, but the same activities for everyone only make it equal, not fair to students who need different opportunities. There is very little understanding or support from administration or the parents whose kids are not part of the rapid learner program. This creates an anxious school community, and teachers get a lot of pressure to make things equal, taking away opportunities for rapid learners. The end result is classes that lack overall enriched content that rapid learner has been known for in decades past. As gifted education loses funding from the state, it's up to schools to champion the cause for gifted education, and this school doesn't do much to support it. Originally I liked the idea of the arts focus, and that hasn't been a disappointment. The art and music teachers at the school are fantastic, but gifted kids won't find a truly supportive learning environment here.

Posted October 28, 2013
The Deterding school community is far from being in decline. It's an amazing school with top-notch academics coupled with a unique performing arts program not offered any where else in our district. Don't buy in to anonymous posts. Visit the school, talk to the staff, parents, and students. Some people can only see the negative no matter how positive things really are. It's a shame that some people are just so pathetically miserable and take time to write posts with no factual basis. Take a walk on the brighter side of life! Try being happy and greatful for the tremendous education your children are receiving for a change.

Posted October 28, 2013
Our principal is one of the most positive, uplifting, and hardest working human beings I have ever encountered. Every school day starts with an inspirational message. She knows and cares about every student. She is at every school event and meeting, starting most days before dawn and leaving late at night. It is a privilege to have such a dedicated and honorable person leading our school. Deterding is a place where the whole child is developed and encouraged. Kids sing songs on their way to class. Creativity and individuality is rewarded. Even the shyest child will get up on stage to perform and be cheered on like a rock star. Deterding is a top-five elementary school in San Juan, including open-enrollment schools. Everyone is expected to participate and programs are open regardless of ability or resources. The community works hard together to make sure that everyone is included and no one is denied. It is sad that some people choose to see only negative when there is so much positive and good happening all around them. Deterding is a wonderful school and has provided a well-balanced elementary school experience for my children.

Posted October 28, 2013
Deterding is staffed with a group of dedicated teachers, aides, food service workers, office staff, custodians and many others, who care deeply about all the students. What a delight it is to see the children singing and dancing and smiling everywhere they go! The academic program is outstanding and the care taken to make sure each child is challenged to do their very best is evident. The principal is dedicated and hardworking to a fault. Student learning is always the top priority in every decision made, which is sometimes difficult when a few parents have another agenda. Field trips are always a hot point, especially when integration of gate students and neighborhood students is involved. There is an elitist attitude of a handful of parents, but it is only a few. Love this school, the minuses are actually positives in the long run. Just like any family, we work together through the good and tough times, because we all love Deterding.

Mary Deterding Elementary School 1

Posted October 25, 2013
This school is in serious decline. The principal who has been there two years has created a hostile and negative environment. It is such a shame to see a once great school crumble under poor leadership. Although there are some gems of teachers still there and the arts program is a beam of light, the outspoken caustic nature of many of the other teachers creates a dark and sad environment for our children. We are leaving the school after many committed years.

Posted October 25, 2013
This school has so many dedicated staff and teachers, I don't know who could say that they are awful and negative. Naturally, people choose different schools for different reasons. That is why a variety exists. It is discouraging to see a few people posting negative things when there are so many of us who feel that it is exactly opposite of what these people are saying. Don't believe the minority who are the sqeaky wheels. Take a look at it, talk to the families and the teachers. Spend a day in a classroom. Look at the awesome programs that exist within this community. The art program is great, the music program is outstanding, the staff care about the childrens future and work after school FOR FREE to tutor. The y are dedicated. It's unlike the other schools I have visited for my children. Take a look for yourself.

Posted August 09, 2013
Deterding is fabulous. Before making a decision based on reviews full of assumptions, please take a look at the school and staff and what it is really about, instead of taking the word of an anonymous poster on a website.

Mary Deterding Elementary School
6000 Stanley Avenue, Carmichael, CA  95608
Last modified Mary Deterding Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary Deterding Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top