Thomas Kelly Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 356 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 26, 2014

thank you so much for allowing us to drive right up and collector children this has been so great other schools are not as polite and courteous it would have a spark miles away to come and collect our children I am grateful for all the staff and the principal at Thomas Kelly elementary school you guys are awesome keep up the good work

Posted February 26, 2014

I have been a parent at TK for 6 years. There have been recent changes to the drop-off/Pick-up circle and I am grateful. The TK staff and PTA volunteers have slowed down the traffic in the circle, created an orderly system that keeps traffic moving and our children safer. They have even offered to walk pre-k & K kids to their playground for parents that cannot park & walk their small children themselves. TK also has a wonderful parking zone that pre-k & K parents can use to walk students to class or watch them walk in. I am sad to see that someone was so negative in their review of our school, when clearly it is their choice. Stopping in the Drop-off/pick-up zone to walk a child to class or the playground will hold up the whole line of parents needing to make sure their own child gets there on time and safely. :( I believe that the TK Principal and Staff demonstrate in words and deed what it truly means to be an IB student. They are thinkers, knowledgeable, open minded, communicators, principled, risk takers, inquirers, reflective, balanced & most of all, caring. I am grateful that they are instructing my child & have created such an amazing environment. Thank you Thomas Kelly!!

Posted August 29, 2013

Thomas Kelly is hands down the BEST elementary school in Carmichael area. I am so proud of our students for bringing the API test score up +36 for 2013! A little over 2 years ago TK began the IB learning program. I really think this shows the POSITIVE impact IB is having on our children!!!! My oldest daughter even scored advanced in English Language Arts and Mathematics on her STAR tests for 2013! BEST TEACHERS! BEST PRINCIPAL! BEST PARENTS and BEST STUDENTS!!!!!!!!!

Posted March 31, 2013

i love t.k both my daughters went there and i was very happy with their education .

Posted May 19, 2010

his will be my sons last year at Thomas Kelly because of the district changes :( ...I cant give enough thanks to everyone that has come through for us over the years. Mrs. Blaine,Mrs. Rimby, Mrs. Bustamante, Mrs. Carl,Mrs. Gardner, Mrs. Russell,Mrs. Chi ,Ms. Terry, Ms. Spencer Miss Anne...and especially Mrs. Walden. That woman is a rock!!!!!!Thank you to the ladies in the office for all for your support as well!!!!Cant forget Carlos & the P.T.A. Cathy Ennis is a saint in my book...so much that I will sit on the board to ensure that my 3 year old will have the same great experience that my son did!!!!! GO EAGLES!!!!!

Posted October 31, 2009

Thomas kelly is the best school. Ms. Blain is an amazing kindergarten teacher and ms. Carl is the best 1st grade teacher. My daughters love thier principal ms. Terry!

Posted August 25, 2009

The support that my son and myself have received from the team at Thomas Kelly is amazing.This bunch is very dedicated to helping our children grow up strong and wise!!! No complaints!! GO EAGLES!!!

Posted August 11, 2009

My Son has been here since 1st grade and the Teachers have been nothing but supportive and worked closley with me as my son has ADHD and were more than happy to communicate with me even on a daily basis if nessasary to keep my son focused and on track. My son is in 6th grade this year and we will miss Thomas Kelly when we move on to Jr. High.

Posted August 5, 2009

My son attended this school from K-4th, unfortunately we had to move, and I want to say this school was the best I have been through. If you decide to have your child go here, it is great. The staff, teachers, programs, principal and programs. My son is now in 8th grade and school selection in my district has been trying, although the first steps of his learning I believe has made him the strong person he is today. Great School!!

Posted October 8, 2008

AMAZING School. We received the 2007-2008 California Distinguished School Award! This is Our child's second year and he is doing great & LOVES school! Incredible Principal. Also a truly dedicated and invested group of educators. If you can get into this school, do it, you will be so glad you took a chance. We love this school!

Posted September 20, 2008

We have been at Thomas Kelly since my oldest started the fifth grade and she is now in college.. My other three attend and are in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th grades.. Never had any problems(except for some parents and their parking/drop off issues, which this year are way better!) The new teacher for 4th grade, Miss Garcia, is a wonderful addition to Thomas Kelly....Thank you T.K. for hiring her!

Posted September 4, 2008

My daughter just started fourth grade this year. I hope that this year will be as successful as the previous ones. She's been in TK since Kindergarten, and I have not one thing bad to say about this school. The campus is clean, safe and easily accessible. The teachers are amazing, every one of them. Mrs. Terry is doing a wonderful job and her staff are always helpful and great with the kids. Thanks, TK, for starting our kids on the right path towards their future.

Posted February 26, 2007

My family is new to Thomas Kelly this year, but I have been extremely impressed with the principal, the staff, and the teachers. Communication is very positive, and student safety and discipline are constantly reinforced. Teachers are experienced and dedicated. The principal is very available, approachable, and follows through with parent concerns. The entire staff is friendly and hard working. This has been a very positive move for my family. I'm glad my children have had the opportunity to attend such a fine school-- one that stresses high academic and behavior standards and focuses on citizenship and self-responsibility. In addition, there are several extracurricular activities (band, choir, chess club, student council, Roots and Shoots) from which to choose. The PTA is very active, and parents have lots of opportunities to volunteer for activities and in classrooms. This is a great school!

Posted December 28, 2006

Our kids have been going to Thomas Kelly for the past four years. Overall, we have been very satisfied with their education. We were sorry to see the last principal leave this year - he did so much for the school's vision and sense of spirit! We are not impressed with the new principal at all! She has a very poor discipline of students and tolerates unbelievable behaviors. The teachers seem to be a close knit group and enjoy the kids. There are many favorites among the students. Our only wish is that the kids would be able to go on more field trips, as there are hardly any! There is a great music, art, and band program though.

Posted November 14, 2006

We have a new principal this year and I cant think of a word to describe her because there isnt any one word in the english language that I know of that expresses what she does. In the morning with Starbucks coffee in hand she greets each child by first name. When the children have an activity she is always there cheering them on and supporting them whether it be behind the scenes making sure they have something or shes there in front. This is my sons second year and I knew the outgoing principal for 21 years and though there are those who miss him we couldnt have a better leader than Deanna Terry (current principal).

Posted September 28, 2006

Our daughter has been attending TK for over 3 years now and she has just blossomed under the care of the administration at this school. The teacher's have been wonderful(extra caring) and the classes are set up so that student's receive enough challenge's bases on their academic level. We've made some great friends with students as well as the parents that are involved. We have a new principal this year and she has been very involved with all the activities that have taken place so far-we look forward to another great year.

Posted February 27, 2006

My son absolutely loves this school. The teachers are very helpful and stay in the parents corner whether you need something small or large they are very close knit.

Posted January 25, 2006

I have been involved at Thomas Kelly Elementary for 5 years. I've always been impressed with the way this school operates. The staff really seem to care about the children. The work sent home is always spelled out so there are never any questions and there are several available ways to contact teachers which makes communication easy. The kids love it and there is also a lot of parent involvement. I wish there was more Physical Education and art available in the district. The level of safety in this school is incredible. I feel confident that my kids are safe at all times.

Posted August 25, 2005

My two sons attended this schools from 3 thru 6 and from 1-5 grades. They enjoyed this school and all their teachers each year. The emphasiss is teaching respect, honesty and value of self. They participated in band and sports and enjoyed the art programs as well. The school and district spent extra resources in helping my oldest in reading and one on one special instruction and did not drop the ball on his reading studies. Both children have moved to their middle schools with a great knowledge and solid basis for any on going education and always look forward to the next school year. I have Thomas Kelly to thank for that.

Posted August 19, 2005

I have two children - a second and a fourth grader. So far, the teaching staff has been phenominal. Consistant and caring. I have not had the best experiences with the principal, Mr. Pederson, but personalities are different. I'm glad my kids get wonderful grades and citizenship awards and seem to be excelling despite those differences. I credit the teachers for allowing parental involvement in the classroom for that.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

All Students44%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 54%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6301 Moraga Drive