Posted June 23, 2014
As a former student, I can't help but be just a little bit biased to my own experiences. Mission was the best possible place for me to attend. I would not be the person I am today if I had gone to any other school. In my seven years there, I had an amazing time. I'm still friends with some of the people I was friends with there when I was five. I haven't attended Mission for a while now, but I still come to visit and I'm always welcomed. I still feel nostalgic for the many amazing field trips I went on every year, and hum the songs I learned in my one year of choir. This is all my own personal experience of course. Everyone is different, but Mission is about taking what makes you different and using it to make you the best you ca be. Besides, who really wants to go to Merimont?

Posted August 01, 2013
As a grand parent I have been on several of my granddaughters field trips. The most impressive one was an overnight in the Sacramento Zoo. The zoo staff was very complimentary of the Mission Avenue staff and even waived some of their restrictions on overnights because of Mission Avenues outstanding programs

Posted May 04, 2012
Sometimes I can't believe that most people (many are) aren't knocking the doors down to get their child into this school. While there are many great schools within the San Juan Unified School District and the surrounding area, this school stands out for for reasons including academics. The learning at this school is enhanced by the projects, field trips and the parent involvement that each student experiences. This school is a community and a great example in today's world. To put it simply, a school official emphasized that this school offers a private school education but is a public school in the San Juan Unified School District. http://www.sanjuan.edu/MissionAvenueOpen.cfm?subpage=157900

Mission Avenue Open Elementary School 3

Posted May 23, 2011
I've been a parent at Mission for many years now and Mission used to be a really great school. Administration changes have taken the "open" out of it and for me, the cliques of parents and the total inequities that take place on a daily basis ("rules" or not), got very old to me and my family. The elementary grades are wonderful, starting with Kindergarten. Many students leave after fifth grade, rather than staying for sixth grade for many reasons. This is a school where one of the parents should not work so they can be in the loop of favorites with teachers.

Mission Avenue Open Elementary School 2

Posted March 16, 2011
The teachers at this school are great. The only problem that stood out for my child and I was the fact that sometimes there was a lot of clicks and some minor bullying. There was also a little too much parent participation to the point of gossip and clickiness among the parents as well. Overall my daughter's experience academically was excellent but socially she was lacking. She loves the new school she is attending socially and academically.

Posted May 25, 2010
I attended Mission many years ago and now my oldest son is lucky enough to attend, everything is as great as I remember. The teachers, principal, assignments, parental involvement and field trips are fantastic! My son is at the end of his first grade year and we were lucky enough to have Miss Rausch as his teacher. We look forward to what second grade brings our way. We are truely blessed to have or son attend this school and our youngest in a couple years!

Mission Avenue Open Elementary School 0

Posted April 09, 2010
I loved Mission when my daughter first started there. It is a very good regular school. Changes in the past 4 years have really removed a lot of what was special in the 'old days' when it WAS a special school. For kids who are self directed, this is a great school. Lots of field trips. Good for high acheiving kids too. But if your child needs any services or help, you had better be ready to fight for it. And smart kids need services too sometimes, speech for example. Many parents leave Mission instead of fighting for help.

Posted November 27, 2009

Posted November 25, 2009
Mission Ave is an amazing elementary school, and I could not have had a better experience. The teachers and programs are excellent, and Mission produces truly unique kids. I could not advise a better school to send your child to.

Posted November 03, 2009
A totally wonderful school - the Best!!

Mission Avenue Open Elementary School
2925 Mission Avenue, Carmichael, CA  95608
Last modified Mission Avenue Open Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mission Avenue Open Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top