Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

I am writing this review as a parent of a special education student with ADHD, and auditory processing disorder, and speech and language delay. My child is in a special day class at this school. From day one they were caring and compassionate. They made my son feel welcome, and most important of all he is learning, something he hasn't done in the past year at his previous school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Most of the teachers have a masters in integrating the arts. They incorporate the arts into many lessons. Also, many of their teachers have been trained in Readers Workshop in New York. They had an intense week of how to teach reading. They do not use the old hard cover reading books I used in school, but rather they read books that interest them. They have also been trained in Critical Literacy, and Writers Workshop. With this type of whole school training, it's made Schweitzer what it is today, very effective training for very effective learning, which leads to a very successful child.

Amount of homework: Agree

My child has a very small amount of homework. They have to read 30 minutes in their just right reading book, a book at their level, and a page of math. My child will often have notes on their math paper to show me how she is teaching math. I've had to have a very open mind to how she teaches math. I'm awe struck at what he can do.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Students are held accountable for all their work in class. My child's 3rd grade teacher really pushes their thinking to do their best and beyond. She has built a community of learners in her classrooms that allows all students at different learning stages feel successful. Students respect each other's learning stage and support one another without hesitation.

Schweitzer is an amazing school. They teach in a workshop model, which allows students to think critically and work collaboratively. Many times my child has come home to tell me principals and teachers from other schools are coming to watch how they teach. They are a Just Think math school that is phenomenal. This is a math program that has a strong number sense foundation. When my 3rd grader came home this year showing me what they did in math, I was in awe. He was doing complex algebra without any hesitation. My child's teacher is very dedicated to his needs. We work as a team to ensure success both at home and school. She finds the time to make every child feel they are important. I've watched her teach and was amazed at the level of thinking, academic language, and collaboration skills her classroom has. She allows them to teach each other. No workbook or worksheets. She has a wide variety of books that are leveled for easy access. She is very involved with her school. She is always there late at night and at every function. Our principal Mr. English, is very active with his teachers and students. I've seen him out on the playground playing football and four square. My child really looks up to him. He knows his students by name and always asks about what they are doing in class. He is dedicated to his staff and students. Our PTA is very strong. They have an amazing president that sends weekly updates to tell families what's been going on and what's coming up. Schweitzer is a school you want your child at. My experience here for the past 5 years has been nothing but awesome. I'm very thankful to have my children go through here and know they will leave with a strong foundation to prepare them for years ahead.

I have been nothing but pleased sending our kids to Schweitzer Elementary. The teachers are wonderful and caring to my children. The school has a neighborhood feel to it, and offers extra activities for the students. I feel my children are well prepared heading into Middle School.

Our family has been party of the Schweitzer community since 2005 and still going. From the get go have been impressed by the great sense of community at this great neighborhood school. The teachers are fantastic, the sense of community is strong, and all the extra programs available (school wide okay, Star Struck, band, choir) give the kids a well-rounded education.

Great teachers, principal and staff! Very supportive of each student's individual growth and development. Solid curriculum with a variety of extra-curricular activities to engage all interest.

We have been at Schweitzer for 2 years and have had a great experience with both the teachers and the PTA. Great school!

Amount of homework: Agree

My kids did not come home with weekly packets of homework in Kinder. This was my expectation so I wasn't sure what to think about it but I was educated on the recent research that showed homework/busy work doesn't lead to higher learning and understanding. As the years went on my kids got more and more homework, appropriate for what they were doing in class, including projects, research etc.... It has help with school burnout and allowed them to focus on the really important subjects.

Last modified Albert Schweitzer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.