Santa Clarita Valley International

Charter | K-12 | 800 students

We are best known for teaching Leadership Skills through Project Based Learning

Posted June 16, 2014

My son and daughter have been at this school since the first year. When I reflect on their experiences, and who they are today, I am incredibly grateful for how this school has shaped who they will be as adults. One of the things our family appreciates most, is it s out of the box environment. It reminds me of Google or Zappos or Facebook, which is not by accident. Those are the kinds of companies the next generation will likely work in or start. Through it all they have learned how to be leaders in charge of their own growth socially and academically. There have definitely been growing pains in the school over the years, but we knew going in that it was a start up. The school was intended to change the way we look at education, and it has certainly achieved that. There is definitely more work to do to in order fulfill on it s potential, but our family sees evidence of progress every year. The priorities in the environment are such that they understand that they can be a positive impact in the world, and they are equipped with the tools for making that happen. Entering 7th and 10th grade, they are excited about college, and looking forward the challenges of the future.

Posted June 10, 2014

My kids have been at SCVi for two years and we couldn't be happier. The school encourages self directed learning and behavior but provides support to students that need it. It is true that not all students are ready to make good choices and staff is always ready to to help with guidance and natural consequences. The school does have an open campus policy but it is only for high school. My middle school son does not have the option to leave to the school campus and while students can remove themselves from the classroom, it is only to sit right outside the door. The school has a detailed evacuation plan for emergencies. My children are not only safe but happy and receiving high quality education. SCVi is an awesome school for families that want their kids to learn to think on their own.

Posted May 9, 2014

I understand that there are many paths to the top of the mountain, but honestly, I don't know if many of these students will ever get there. The philosophy is excellent, but the reality is that it is chaos. Unsafe. Kids can come and go as they please... Sit where they want (yes, they get to make choices, but really, developmentally inappropriate choices). If a first grader leaves the classroom, the consensus is, well, he or she will eventually find their way back. Fine if you feel ok with having your child not accounted for, and God forbid there's not an emergency, go for it! I'm worried that this school, with all good intentions, is a ticking time bomb waiting to happen.... With k-12 on the same campus with an open door policy, freedom to roam around, in a strip mall, with no emergency plans, unaccounted for students.... I worry that this school could make the headlines for something traumatic..... Forget that there are no dictionaries, text books, kids destroy the crayons, paper and their cubbies are a mess, can check their FB and watch you tube at any time so they can learn from their mistakes... Who's in charge? A second grader?

Posted March 4, 2014

My daughter was not having a positive high school experience at a local, traditional high school. She was not motivated to complete her boring homework packets and was having problems with other girls posting things about her on Facebook. It got to the point where she didn't want to go to school at all. She cried every morning and begged me to not make her go. I told her we had no choice because that was our community school. I then found out about SCVi. As soon as I took the tour, I knew this was the right place for my daughter. We are so happy we made the decision to change schools. She loves school. I do not have to wake her up in the morning. Most days, she is waiting in the car for me. This is so refreshing! She also does not need to be reminded to work on assignments. I am so pleased with her transformation since becoming a learner at SCVi.

Posted March 3, 2014

We are in our 6th year at SCVi with three kids here. Having seen some students come and go, I realize that this type of school and environment is not for every learner. What some see as chaos, is creation and expression. What some see as no discipline, is giving learners natural consequences for actions - not punishing, yelling, taking away lunch. What some see as "no homework" - is actually much more work being done in the classroom and being reinforced through presentations and collaboration. I feel sad for those families that didn't find a home here like we have. But our children are respectful and self disciplined and directed. Their strong abilities are nurtured and the weaker ones encouraged to grow. The holistic and developmental approach to education is suited to our style of parenting and education. Our children love to go to school daily and even ask to come early and stay late. They feel confident and empowered - which they did not feel in their other schools. Because this school does not work for all learners, does not mean it is bad for all learners. There is a school out there for every student. Ask questions and tour and see what is best for your family.

Posted February 25, 2014

SCVi is a breath of fresh air! It has a dynamic curriculum. My children adore the teachers, the kids are kind to one another and value each other's differences. The Administration and teachers go above and beyond for our kids. They are easy to communicate with and value my opinion and ideas as a parent. So glad we found SCVi!

Posted February 23, 2014

It's a shame I could not give 0 stars. It is shameful that neither the Hart School District nor the SCVi School Board are actually looking closely at what is happening on the day to day basis in the classrooms. NO LEARNING!! Teachers without credentials in core classrooms; out of compliance on PE minutes in the lower grades; no follow through on the school's code of conduct; no reading instruction in the lower school. But there are a lot of people on payroll, doing I'm not sure what. They advocate "Love and Logic" and upon reading this book, it is riddled with Christian and Biblical references. I feel sad, because my family had such high hopes for this school, but now that we are in it, it seems more about the founders wanting to make a dollar than it is about the students. I highly recommend you look elsewhere for a school.

Posted February 23, 2014

Great School. SCVi is celebrating a 6 year WASC clearance this week! Energetic staff; visionary and innovative program. Thoroughly engaging project based program. The empathy and care from the teachers is exceptional. Highly recommend.

Posted October 25, 2013

SCVI is only for a select few children. My children have been there about two months and we are removing them. The philosophy and ideas are great, but they don't have it organized enough assist the students academic growth. There is so much chaos that your child gets lost in the shuffle. Children are allowed run around, play with toys and throw temper tantrums while the teacher is speaking and they don't even get spoken to. When they do they are told to come up with there own consequence. Kids at this age should be able to learn in a more creative way, but they should still be accountable for being disrespectful. Please observe an actual class before you send your children.

Posted October 22, 2013

SCVi is is truly a great school for our sons. From teachers who really seem to care about their progress to everyone's focus on kids overall health and well being we could not be more pleased with SCVi. Each year although they keep increasing the number of students and the size of the campus they somehow manage to impress us with the setup of the classrooms, and various additions to the school such as the new Caf with excellent healthy food choices, new High School campus and more than anything with staying true to the original principles and philosophy that attracted us to SCVi in the first place. Both our boys are doing great academically and more importantly they have become so confident in communicating with us, their teachers, peers and everyone else. They are very excited about learning new things and especially enjoy working on many projects that they participate in at the school. It is such a great feeling when you ask the kids on the ride back home how was the school today and have you learned something new and exciting to hear them talk about the things they have learned with excitement compared to the "Nothing special" which was our older son's daily reply before SCVi.

Posted October 21, 2013

We were excited to get our child here, we liked the philosophy of the school however it doesn't translate well in the classroom or around the school campus. Some teachers are truly wonderful. We are stuck with one who is unorganized and& can't remember messages to get to parents about things pertaining to the classroom. Far too many areas are reliant on volunteers & not qualified individuals suited for that area or job. There are MANY kids with behavioral issues and it completely distracts from the kids who want to be there and learn. The relaxed atmosphere backfires with most groups and kids are not getting work done or learning. The play yard is chaos & short staffed, the after school care is even worse. I have received more info about fundraisers on a weekly basis than I have about what my child is learning. They have yet to start their 1st project and my child has regressed from what was learned from a few hours of preschool last year. High School kids mill around all times of the day and most look like a band of misfits and they have very foul mouths and rude behavior. These teens are also unsupervised!

Posted September 30, 2013

The school is friendly and the classes small. They are able to personalize my child's needs, both emotional and social and academic. The support staff and teaching staff are involved and flexible. They are creative and never seem too busy. Last year, there were 2 boys in my daughter's class who were very unruly. They are now gone. The K/1 classes (5 in all in the area) and very quiet, very organized, and well controlled.

Posted September 11, 2013

With my daughter starting Kindergarten, I knew that I wanted her to have a school experience that was stimulating and enriching yet fun. Sitting in a classroom being told to sit still while listening to one teacher recite a book was not my idea of a good education. I was immediately excited about SCVi after attending the tour. Finally a school that did not pander to test scores. They focus on the kids and what they need confident that the scores will naturally fall in to place. As for the school placating to unruly kids. I know for a fact that at least one child was expelled for not obeying the rules after a couple of chances. He was made accountable and suffered the consequences. The fact is all schools will have misfits and they will misbehave with or without rigid guidelines of conduct. Some rules are not for the kids but to make things easier for the teachers and administrators. In any case, by law schools are required to provide an education to even the worst students, so I applaud SCVi taking care of business in contrast to one person's review. I'm excited to see what the next years bring for my daughter at SCVi.

Posted August 25, 2013

My children first attended SCVi last year. In the public school system of LAUSD my child was just being pushed through. He cried and faked sick so as not to have to go to school. Since joining SCVi I have seen a dramatic change. He enjoys and looks forward to school. His reading improved a grade and a half. My daughter came home explaining things she had learned that I didn't learn till middle school. They enjoy the project based learning. They are engaged and actually retaining what they learned. My youngest will start this year and my two oldest are excited to go back. The teacher's there actually care. Now if your child is an unruly brat who is ill mannered yes your child will get to stay but they won't learn a thing because this school teaches responsibility and how to learn. This school prepares them for real life not a test. (i.e. if you don't pay attention then yes you will fail and you have no one to blame but yourself)

Posted August 13, 2013

This school is a toxic mess of zero accountability and teacher sacrifice. Students are allowed to run wild through the halls, creating chaos and confusion in their wake. If a teacher tries to discipline an unruly student, they do so without the support of the administration. As a practice, teachers are thrown under the bus whenever there's a behavior issue, with the administration often making it look like the problem is somehow the fault of the educator, as opposed to the child causing the problems. Because there are never consequences for behaving like a little heathen, bullying is a widespread problem with the most sensitive children suffering the most. Many of the most motivated students go on a strange semi-independent study to escape the chaos of the classroom. The administration will pretend like this shows their great flexibility when really it shows their greatest failing. In choosing to placate bad behavior they have done the terrible disservice of teaching those children that they are allowed to behave anyway they want. The world will not be so kind and they will have to learn those lessons the hard way. Shame on them for doing what is easy instead of what is right.

Posted August 4, 2013

I was extremely impressed with the schools trip to Belize to set up 2 computer labs for underprivileged students in that country. Students at SCVi are so generous with their capabilities, that they visited Belize to help other students prepare for their futures. That is the motivation and inspiration that this school teaches their students. A win win experience for all that attended. Very impressive.

Posted May 27, 2013

I can not put into words how well my kids are doing at SCVi - our fifth year. However, if your kid is not a self-starter, if they are content doing the minimum, if they have behavioral issues and do not want to learn, you will hate this school. My kids didnt start out self-directed - after all they went to a very traditional school at first, but through mentoring and the fabulous staff, they have become confident, self-directed learners. They are showing such leadership abilities, excellent writing skills, and for people who care - high STAR test scores. All three are tops for math as well. The freedom they are given has allowed them to find their passions and express their learning in ways that no traditional school would allow. There education is exciting for them as well as me. Thry enjoy going to school and enjoy learning. So proud of them and our decision to ditch the traditional for the out of the box.

Posted May 21, 2013

Another amazing year at SCVi for my two kids. My kids are high achievers and are academically where they need to be ( or higher). After 4 years at SCVi we still have homework few nights a week ( if you want to be involved as a parent you can ask for more things that your kids can do). This year, both of my kids had some amazing projects - and they are still not sick of them. They are very happy and love the school. They are turning into leaders and are very caring toward their peers (Caring about others is very important to my family and SCVi got it.) . So thank you SCVi for another great year and we are looking forward to a new school year. ( BTW Cafe rocks - Keep it up ).

Posted October 27, 2012

This is the third year that both my children have attended SCVi. One in middle school and the other in high school. I have been so happy with the mode of teaching, the projects that emcompass the field of study, and the personal attention given by the teachers. This school is destined to turn every learner into a leader which is not a skill that is taught in every public school. I went on a tour of the school when my now 11th grader was going into 9th grade and when we were done with the tour he decided right there that he had to go to this school. The small class sizes and project based learning is exactly the type of learning he loves along with the emphasis on using current technology to enhance his projects. He is extremely bright and has been challenged to reach his full potential along with making some great friends that I think he will have for a long time. I have never been fond of schools that "teach to the test" and at SCVi they encourage their learners to really explore topics even if it takes them off the beaten path. This will give them a true advantage at the college level. I give this school a two thumbs up!

Posted October 17, 2012

I often wonder if high API score schools produce students who are more prepared for college and life. At SCVi, I KNOW my kids will be better prepared for college and life. They know how to colaborate and how to think outside the box. Do traditional schools teach colaboration in all classes? I feel fortunate that my children got in to SCVi and can't wait to see the adults they become.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

Females63%

Not economically disadvantaged40%
Students with no reported disability38%
Fluent-English proficient and English only40%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/AN/A
English language learners 3%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Chinese (Mandarin)
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:45 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Kimberlee Shaw
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • email office@scvi-k12.org
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (661) 607-0295

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Hybrid
  • Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Internships

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club
  • Girl scouts
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Parents always welcome
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor