Public charter
Castaic, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted September 30, 2014
Disorganized chaos. Classrooms & facility not well kept. The noise level is maddening. Horrible playground area and the safety of the students seems to be of little concern.

Posted June 16, 2014
My son and daughter have been at this school since the first year. When I reflect on their experiences, and who they are today, I am incredibly grateful for how this school has shaped who they will be as adults. One of the things our family appreciates most, is it s out of the box environment. It reminds me of Google or Zappos or Facebook, which is not by accident. Those are the kinds of companies the next generation will likely work in or start. Through it all they have learned how to be leaders in charge of their own growth socially and academically. There have definitely been growing pains in the school over the years, but we knew going in that it was a start up. The school was intended to change the way we look at education, and it has certainly achieved that. There is definitely more work to do to in order fulfill on it s potential, but our family sees evidence of progress every year. The priorities in the environment are such that they understand that they can be a positive impact in the world, and they are equipped with the tools for making that happen. Entering 7th and 10th grade, they are excited about college, and looking forward the challenges of the future.

Posted June 10, 2014
My kids have been at SCVi for two years and we couldn't be happier. The school encourages self directed learning and behavior but provides support to students that need it. It is true that not all students are ready to make good choices and staff is always ready to to help with guidance and natural consequences. The school does have an open campus policy but it is only for high school. My middle school son does not have the option to leave to the school campus and while students can remove themselves from the classroom, it is only to sit right outside the door. The school has a detailed evacuation plan for emergencies. My children are not only safe but happy and receiving high quality education. SCVi is an awesome school for families that want their kids to learn to think on their own.

Posted May 09, 2014
I understand that there are many paths to the top of the mountain, but honestly, I don't know if many of these students will ever get there. The philosophy is excellent, but the reality is that it is chaos. Unsafe. Kids can come and go as they please... Sit where they want (yes, they get to make choices, but really, developmentally inappropriate choices). If a first grader leaves the classroom, the consensus is, well, he or she will eventually find their way back. Fine if you feel ok with having your child not accounted for, and God forbid there's not an emergency, go for it! I'm worried that this school, with all good intentions, is a ticking time bomb waiting to happen.... With k-12 on the same campus with an open door policy, freedom to roam around, in a strip mall, with no emergency plans, unaccounted for students.... I worry that this school could make the headlines for something traumatic..... Forget that there are no dictionaries, text books, kids destroy the crayons, paper and their cubbies are a mess, can check their FB and watch you tube at any time so they can learn from their mistakes... Who's in charge? A second grader?

Santa Clarita Valley International 4

Posted March 04, 2014
My daughter was not having a positive high school experience at a local, traditional high school. She was not motivated to complete her boring homework packets and was having problems with other girls posting things about her on Facebook. It got to the point where she didn't want to go to school at all. She cried every morning and begged me to not make her go. I told her we had no choice because that was our community school. I then found out about SCVi. As soon as I took the tour, I knew this was the right place for my daughter. We are so happy we made the decision to change schools. She loves school. I do not have to wake her up in the morning. Most days, she is waiting in the car for me. This is so refreshing! She also does not need to be reminded to work on assignments. I am so pleased with her transformation since becoming a learner at SCVi.

Posted March 03, 2014
We are in our 6th year at SCVi with three kids here. Having seen some students come and go, I realize that this type of school and environment is not for every learner. What some see as chaos, is creation and expression. What some see as no discipline, is giving learners natural consequences for actions - not punishing, yelling, taking away lunch. What some see as "no homework" - is actually much more work being done in the classroom and being reinforced through presentations and collaboration. I feel sad for those families that didn't find a home here like we have. But our children are respectful and self disciplined and directed. Their strong abilities are nurtured and the weaker ones encouraged to grow. The holistic and developmental approach to education is suited to our style of parenting and education. Our children love to go to school daily and even ask to come early and stay late. They feel confident and empowered - which they did not feel in their other schools. Because this school does not work for all learners, does not mean it is bad for all learners. There is a school out there for every student. Ask questions and tour and see what is best for your family.

Posted February 25, 2014
SCVi is a breath of fresh air! It has a dynamic curriculum. My children adore the teachers, the kids are kind to one another and value each other's differences. The Administration and teachers go above and beyond for our kids. They are easy to communicate with and value my opinion and ideas as a parent. So glad we found SCVi!

Posted February 23, 2014
It's a shame I could not give 0 stars. It is shameful that neither the Hart School District nor the SCVi School Board are actually looking closely at what is happening on the day to day basis in the classrooms. NO LEARNING!! Teachers without credentials in core classrooms; out of compliance on PE minutes in the lower grades; no follow through on the school's code of conduct; no reading instruction in the lower school. But there are a lot of people on payroll, doing I'm not sure what. They advocate "Love and Logic" and upon reading this book, it is riddled with Christian and Biblical references. I feel sad, because my family had such high hopes for this school, but now that we are in it, it seems more about the founders wanting to make a dollar than it is about the students. I highly recommend you look elsewhere for a school.

Posted February 23, 2014
Great School. SCVi is celebrating a 6 year WASC clearance this week! Energetic staff; visionary and innovative program. Thoroughly engaging project based program. The empathy and care from the teachers is exceptional. Highly recommend.

Posted October 25, 2013
SCVI is only for a select few children. My children have been there about two months and we are removing them. The philosophy and ideas are great, but they don't have it organized enough assist the students academic growth. There is so much chaos that your child gets lost in the shuffle. Children are allowed run around, play with toys and throw temper tantrums while the teacher is speaking and they don't even get spoken to. When they do they are told to come up with there own consequence. Kids at this age should be able to learn in a more creative way, but they should still be accountable for being disrespectful. Please observe an actual class before you send your children.

Santa Clarita Valley International
28060 Hasley Canyon Road, Suite 200, Castaic, CA  91384
Last modified Santa Clarita Valley International is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Santa Clarita Valley International Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 82 reviews. Top