Posted August 04, 2015
don't go here. don't be fooled by their "progressive" policy. The staff are rude and prejudiced. my son got bullied here almost every day. kids would try to break his arms and push him down the stairs. during recess the clueless yard duty wouldn't notice anything and he would get punched by bullies. the teachers and staff don't do anything, in fact some of the teachers yell at him and tell him to get out of the classroom. Putting him down for trying to learn. There are a select few of good teachers here, but most are the bad kind. He learned absolutely nothing while at this school. Before he came to SCVI his math was at his grade level, after three years here, his math had actually gotten worse than before. There is no discipline at this school and no one is held accountable for their actions. The mean spirited kids take advantage of the weaker kids. Kids in the halls are loud and are allowed to walk around freely doing nothing. classrooms are unorganized, kids sit around on beanbag chairs and use their ipads. teachers are called Facilitators which is basically all they do. Run don't walk, from this terrible school.

Posted February 17, 2015
Our children have been attending SCVi for the past four years and we couldn't be happier with the education that they are receiving. As a family, we chose SCVi over other schools in the area because of their developmental approach towards learning; their social-emotional curriculum; and because they emphasize the importance of creativity and individuality throughout the school. Our children have been provided with the ability to progress without limits, they are able to grow academically at a pace that they determine. Without preset boundaries, they continue to feel that learning is fun and they are eager and enthusiastic learners. The classroom dynamic is an open and collaborative environment that, in our opinion, emphasizes the social process of accepting responsibility for ones choices. Our children are expected to move around, ask questions, share ideas and help others as opposed to sitting quietly at a desk all day. Most of all, we love that at the end of the school day we have the time as a family to play tennis or ride our bikes without the added stress of excessive homework.

Posted January 16, 2015
As a parent I find SCVi refreshing. They address the whole child. He isn't a number or a test score. My child strengths and challenges are addressed. As a project based learning environment my child truly learns. He is receiving a full education. He isn't given a bunch of work sheets to complete. Today they were creating rockets. He is learning the elements of Physics!!!!! His teachers truly believe in him. He comes home engaged and excited about school. SCvi is on to something!!!!
5 people found this helpful

Posted September 30, 2014
Disorganized chaos. Classrooms & facility not well kept. The noise level is maddening. Horrible playground area and the safety of the students seems to be of little concern.

Posted June 16, 2014
My son and daughter have been at this school since the first year. When I reflect on their experiences, and who they are today, I am incredibly grateful for how this school has shaped who they will be as adults. One of the things our family appreciates most, is it s out of the box environment. It reminds me of Google or Zappos or Facebook, which is not by accident. Those are the kinds of companies the next generation will likely work in or start. Through it all they have learned how to be leaders in charge of their own growth socially and academically. There have definitely been growing pains in the school over the years, but we knew going in that it was a start up. The school was intended to change the way we look at education, and it has certainly achieved that. There is definitely more work to do to in order fulfill on it s potential, but our family sees evidence of progress every year. The priorities in the environment are such that they understand that they can be a positive impact in the world, and they are equipped with the tools for making that happen. Entering 7th and 10th grade, they are excited about college, and looking forward the challenges of the future.
4 people found this helpful

Posted June 10, 2014
My kids have been at SCVi for two years and we couldn't be happier. The school encourages self directed learning and behavior but provides support to students that need it. It is true that not all students are ready to make good choices and staff is always ready to to help with guidance and natural consequences. The school does have an open campus policy but it is only for high school. My middle school son does not have the option to leave to the school campus and while students can remove themselves from the classroom, it is only to sit right outside the door. The school has a detailed evacuation plan for emergencies. My children are not only safe but happy and receiving high quality education. SCVi is an awesome school for families that want their kids to learn to think on their own.
5 people found this helpful

Posted May 09, 2014
I understand that there are many paths to the top of the mountain, but honestly, I don't know if many of these students will ever get there. The philosophy is excellent, but the reality is that it is chaos. Unsafe. Kids can come and go as they please... Sit where they want (yes, they get to make choices, but really, developmentally inappropriate choices). If a first grader leaves the classroom, the consensus is, well, he or she will eventually find their way back. Fine if you feel ok with having your child not accounted for, and God forbid there's not an emergency, go for it! I'm worried that this school, with all good intentions, is a ticking time bomb waiting to happen.... With k-12 on the same campus with an open door policy, freedom to roam around, in a strip mall, with no emergency plans, unaccounted for students.... I worry that this school could make the headlines for something traumatic..... Forget that there are no dictionaries, text books, kids destroy the crayons, paper and their cubbies are a mess, can check their FB and watch you tube at any time so they can learn from their mistakes... Who's in charge? A second grader?

Santa Clarita Valley International 4

Posted March 04, 2014
My daughter was not having a positive high school experience at a local, traditional high school. She was not motivated to complete her boring homework packets and was having problems with other girls posting things about her on Facebook. It got to the point where she didn't want to go to school at all. She cried every morning and begged me to not make her go. I told her we had no choice because that was our community school. I then found out about SCVi. As soon as I took the tour, I knew this was the right place for my daughter. We are so happy we made the decision to change schools. She loves school. I do not have to wake her up in the morning. Most days, she is waiting in the car for me. This is so refreshing! She also does not need to be reminded to work on assignments. I am so pleased with her transformation since becoming a learner at SCVi.

Posted March 03, 2014
We are in our 6th year at SCVi with three kids here. Having seen some students come and go, I realize that this type of school and environment is not for every learner. What some see as chaos, is creation and expression. What some see as no discipline, is giving learners natural consequences for actions - not punishing, yelling, taking away lunch. What some see as "no homework" - is actually much more work being done in the classroom and being reinforced through presentations and collaboration. I feel sad for those families that didn't find a home here like we have. But our children are respectful and self disciplined and directed. Their strong abilities are nurtured and the weaker ones encouraged to grow. The holistic and developmental approach to education is suited to our style of parenting and education. Our children love to go to school daily and even ask to come early and stay late. They feel confident and empowered - which they did not feel in their other schools. Because this school does not work for all learners, does not mean it is bad for all learners. There is a school out there for every student. Ask questions and tour and see what is best for your family.
4 people found this helpful

Posted February 25, 2014
SCVi is a breath of fresh air! It has a dynamic curriculum. My children adore the teachers, the kids are kind to one another and value each other's differences. The Administration and teachers go above and beyond for our kids. They are easy to communicate with and value my opinion and ideas as a parent. So glad we found SCVi!
2 people found this helpful

Santa Clarita Valley International
28060 Hasley Canyon Road, Suite 200, Castaic, CA  91384
Last modified Santa Clarita Valley International is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Santa Clarita Valley International Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 91 reviews. Top