Castro Valley, CA

Castro Valley High School 1

Posted September 15, 2014
This high school is not as good as everyone thinks it is. They don't offer that much of honors or ap courses. They don't have uniforms and girls dress very inappropriately. Teachers are absolutely careless. They don't have that much of activities. I've been to many different schools and this one has been the worst so far. I'm having a very difficult time with it and I don't recommend it for academic children.

Posted October 23, 2012
We have been part of the Castro Valley school district for 10 years now, and I must say I am proud to say my child attends Castro Valley High School. Since there is only one comprehensive high school in Castro Valley, there are a lot of students (almost 2,900) BUT, it gives your child the ability to make friends with students of all different cultures, nationalities and personalities. Having come from a large high school myself I know how students may feel overwhelmed and in the dark in some areas. This is where parents NEED to step up and be involved. It's impossible for 1 counselor to pay attention to each and every child under their care (probably 500 students per counselor). My child's counselor Mr. Byer is AMAZING. He always returns my emails and phone calls regardless of my concern. It's time for parents to take as much responsibility for their child s education as well as the schools. If parents inform themselves and are on the same page as their children then they will be more at ease in school. Not all teachers are perfect, but if you are involved you won't be surprised. Know what their expectations are.

Posted June 09, 2012
Our family experience with CVHS has been a joy. While their respective experience and peer groups have been different, both of my children have participated in various actitivies focused on the arts, community service, academic achievement and student governance. Both my son and daughter are enrolled in one of the top universities in the world. I attribute this to their individual spirits, which have been nurtured by some of the most caring, visionary teachers in the bay area. During my children's years in CV, the teachers have provided both stellar academic instruction as well as mentoring and support. I can only think of three challenging teacher experiences during middle and high school , which in general we were able to address with either the teacher or the responsive and judisious administration. Like most life experiences, we receive what we give to an organization. Thus, I highly recommend this school district and especially Canyon Middle school and Castro Valley High school for families that want to be inspired to learn and participate (ptsa is great) in a visionary, diverse and caring learning community.

Castro Valley High School 3

Posted June 08, 2012
For kids who know what they want to do after graduation, this school may be good, but for those who aren't sure or who need that extra push and guidance, not so much. With approximately 3k students it is nearly impossible for staff to handle the needs of all and the office staff is not always very helpful or available to talk to immediately. I rate it at 6 out of 10 overall.

Castro Valley High School 4

Posted March 10, 2012
Our experience with Castro Valley High and the entire Castro Valley district has been excellent. The quality of the teachers, activities, classes is very high. I feel fortunate to live in this district.

Posted September 09, 2010
After years of the school system, thanks to Mr. Magno counseling, my 16 year old has a promising year ahead of him as a junior. He shows increased confidence in his classes taught by caring yet challenging teachers.

Posted May 18, 2010
This school is great. There is a ton of activities and sports for students to get involved in. The teachers are great and care about the students. The classes are also challenging, and fun. The campus is clean and pretty.

Castro Valley High School 4

Posted May 04, 2010
My child is having a terrific learning experience as a 9th grader. I'm am thankful that she has learned to check her spelling before posting messages online. To have so many programs still in place after successive tumultuous state budgets is a testament to the oversight of the district. I only hope we can save the sports programs. They provide a wonderful opportunity for students to excel and perform athletically and academically. My child is getting a great education for life at CVHS. Thank you CVHS Athletic Boosters!

Castro Valley High School 1

Posted April 28, 2010
I am so thankful that my son is currently a Junior and only has one more year at CVHS! I have 3 children, two who have already graduated from CVHS. The school was great 8-9 years ago when my daughter attended because even though there were a lot of students there were no where near the rediculus number of students attending the school today. I purchased a home in CV 12 years ago excepting the higher prices/taxes beacause at the time the pay-off was having superior schools that were safe and not over crowded for my children to attend, but unfortunatly that is no longer the case due to addtion of many out of district transfer students. I am sad for the future CVHS attendies becuase I do not see things getting any better for them.....:-(

Posted April 27, 2010

Castro Valley High School
19400 Santa Maria Avenue, Castro Valley, CA  94546
Last modified Castro Valley High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Castro Valley High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top