Public charter
Chatsworth, CA

Posted December 09, 2014
This school is a true gem! The school's philosophy is wholesome. It focuses on the children's needs and growth potential. It has an innovative approach of motivating the children to learn without stressing them. They have found a unique balance on learning, but at the same time they foster creativity, fun of learning and a strong emphasis on interpersonal skills and other soft skills. The teachers are extremely dedicated and passionate about teaching. They truly care about the children and give personalized attention to their children. I was amazed when I attended the student-parent conference earlier in the year. The teachers spent time with us (50 minutes) going over the our son and daughter's strength, weaknesses and goals. This has never been my experience at LAUSD where I always felt that teachers mostly did a "check" on parent-student conference. The Principal is truly committed to making the children's experience a truly rewarding one. We are truly fortunate to have been accepted to the school. My kids used to hate going to their LAUSD school, but now they are thriving in this positive school environment.

Posted September 17, 2014
OCS is an amazing school and my children and I have been lucky to have my children attend over the last few years. Children are engaged, the class size is kept low, and each class has a part time, TA. They provide PE, Technology, Music, and Art in addition to the core subjects. This is a progressive school that utilizes a cutting edge curriculum. The teachers and staff are very helpful and welcoming. They have onsite morning and aftercare and enrichment programs too. When you join OCS you don't just join a school, your whole family joins a community.

Posted August 31, 2014
I can't see enough good things about OCS. We are starting our 5th year at the school and things just keep improving. The teacher/child ratio is such a great number with dedicated TA's for the Kindergarten and 1st grades and additional teaching supports for the elementary and middle school grades. My 4th grader has PE twice a week, enjoys music and technology/computer lab time as well. The teachers are so dedicated to their craft and the curriculum and methodologies create such well-rounded students. I am so happy with this school and all of the progress it continues to make. It is a joy to be a parent in this community and to see my kids thrive.

Posted April 17, 2014
As a new parent to school.. having entering twin kindergarteners... I can't compare.. but I can tell you that I'm so impressed with the amount of attention and dedication this school has in education, service, and character. Many of my friends are unhappy with their chosen schools and I wish they all could be at ours. They think outside the box. Critical thinking is taught and the students are big participants as to how things are done. They vote, their voice is heard. I'm in the classroom daily and it's encouraged. It's a thriving school with dedicated parents and teachers, all just grateful to be there! I feel privileged to send my children there. knowing too that they are in good hands, prepared for life and learning!!!

Posted October 19, 2013
OCS is a high quality K-8 charter school full of teachers, staff, and parents who are very passionate and care deeply about well balanced education. The philosophy is special and respectful and the children thrive in classrooms that aren't overcrowded and are not overloaded with homework. The students also get music, art, garden, and lots of pe, which is so rare these days in LAUSD.

Posted October 09, 2013
We moved our 2nd grader from our assigned elementary school to Our Community Charter School and we couldn't be happier! This is what an elementary school should be! The principal and teachers are very caring. They encourage the parents to be involved. Our child loves going to school now and is flourishing!

Posted July 24, 2013
Just love this school .... my kids are happy here! They look forward to going to school . They are encouraged to be independent thinkers as well as part of a community.

Posted June 09, 2012
Great school for my kids who loves to go to school everyday! I know they are in a fun, loving and caring environment.

Posted January 24, 2012
A hidden gem in the valley. Our child made many lasting friendships, and the teachers and staff give their all to this school. I don't think you'll find a warmer, more welcoming place in the whole valley. The best thing we found was 'responsive classrooms', which helps the children learn how to work together as a team and work out their issues with each other and the teacher. Music is once a week, K-4 does Kodaly with House of Blues donated percussion. We wished there was an art teacher, but this is the new reality of public education. The class size is small, at 23 students, for a public school. Classes all have aides, too. Some aides are fully credentialed. This school struggles like all schools do from lack of funding, but the parents, administrators and teachers, and friends of the school work hard to make it a place where any child from any background can receive an education. Funding for professional development would be a big help, but thanks to our government, those funds are few and far between.

Posted November 20, 2011
Our Community School is a place where children come first. Learning is whole child, integrated, loving and respectful.

Our Community Charter School
10045 Jumilla Ave, Chatsworth, CA  91311
Last modified Our Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Our Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 87 reviews. Top