St. John Eudes School

Private | K-8

Living in Chatsworth

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $340,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,630.

Sweep tile

Posted January 10, 2014

My children have attended SJE for the past 3 years- they previously were in another well respected private non denominational school . Since their arrival, they have enbraced the Catholic education and values that SJE provides. The teachers are fabulous and provide learning in such a new and inovative way. The circiulum is well rounded and top nothced!! When I walk onto the campus I always am greeted in such a warm inviting way- either by staff, teachers or parents. SJE is an excellent school- Come see for yourself- Open House Coming up 1/26/14 9-1pm ( talk to the teachers/staff)

Posted January 10, 2014

We obviously had many choices when it came to schools for our children and we are extremely happy with our choice. Our children are receiving a great, faith-based education and have so many opportunities for extra-curricular activities. The swim team is top-notch. The school also offers science with lab, computer class, music, choir, chess, dance, art, PE, track and field, afterschool sports for the older kids, etc. The library is great and rewards the children with fun programs such as AR. Every school has flaws or has upset "someone" from time to time, but this school seems to do it less. Strict? Not too strict, but if you want someone coddling your kid then maybe this school isn't for you. The staff genuinely care about the students and teach the older children to treat the younger ones with respect and friendship. The older students also respect the parents who come onto campus. SJE ALSO has a ZERO tolerance when it comes to bullying, which is more than I can say for MANY other schools in the valley - both from personal experience and stories from other parents. The principal also does a great job at balancing her care for her staff and the families at the school.

Posted January 9, 2014

Our son started at SJE in the fourth grade and will graduate in June 2014. Our family has had nothing but positive experience's with SJE school. The principle and faculty have been wonderful and it shows in the type of student and young man our son has become. The teachers always have time for parent questions and work with us if our son needs help in any area of his school work. Our family has made life long friends at SJE and we are happy we chose SJE for our sons education. The McColley Family

Posted January 9, 2014

It is hard to read the reviews coming from 5th Grade parents who are planning on leaving SJE, because I know they are hearing gossip from other parents (disgruntled or via gossip). I heard the same things when my children were in 5th grade and with both now in SJE middle school, I am VERY happy that I did not listen to them. Strict, yeah maybe, but I think kids these days are so coddled & are not taught how to be strong decent people anymore. They are at school more than at home & I am proud to say that my children are being taught manners, when I can't be there to do it. A few new teachers, but most are seasoned & have been there longer than people are giving them credit for. My 6th grader LOVES the teacher, enjoys going to school & is thriving, that is important to my family. SJE will stand behind 8th graders while applying to HS & they even offer to contact the HS of choice if there are problems getting in. I can't say the same for many other schools. I wish people would look into the school, teachers & the middle school rather than listening to the gossip of other parents. Honestly, tell me of a school that is perfect through and through. You will NOT find one.

Posted October 24, 2013

My son goes there. He is happy in the school. I m especially fond of the parent seminars offered at night and the fact that everyone knows my child's name nod is friendly toward him. Whether the child is reading two grade levels above or more is not really the school's doing but a mere fact that all kids are different. I have three, so I know. The catholic aspect is stressed and so is courteously and respect. The principal is energetic, hardworking, and tries hard. Moreover, she is a practicing catholic and this sets the mood for the school. For all this, I give the school four stars.

Posted October 18, 2013

My child won't be going to middle school here. The teachers are not experience and not that great. A lot needs to be done because of poor teacher quality. Most of the teachers are new and seems to need extensive training. Most good/experience teachers are not there anymore. I know a lot of 5th grader parents are not planning to come back for middle school.

Posted October 18, 2013

Reading the reviews makes me wonder if my child will be attending middle school here. I know a lot of parents in 5th grade are planning to move out to another school. I guess I'll have to look for one starting now. 5th grade is ok but there are 36 or 37 of them in the class which is too much.

Posted June 8, 2013

Terrible, very strict definitely will not be putting my child through middle school here. The elementary classes are alright. Though the discipline in the middle school is unbelievable. I hope many 5th grade families decide to go to Nobel with us.

Posted May 9, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this school, it's teachers and the principal. My son was previously enrolled in a public elementary school for pre-K. He was bullied at that school and the principal did nothing. Even called my son a liar! Enter St John Eudes. I was reluctant to send my son to a new school, thinking the trauma of a change would be worse. I couldn't have been more wrong! My son not only made friends when entering kindergarten, he made buddies for life at SJE! The children are taught to be good to one another and to foster life long friendships. They pray for one another through hardships. When my son lost his Gmother, the entire class prayed for him. His buddies were right there for him comforting him along with his teacher and her assistant They also celebrate birthdays, new additions to the family, and accomplishments together. These guys are learning the true meaning of friendship and caring by living it inside and outside the classroom. As for academics, my son reads at a 2nd grade level, and he has learned great math and science concepts from SJE. Smartboards in every classroom, individual attention for each student, and the best car-line of any LA school!

Posted May 2, 2013

Overall this school is the most bipolar school i have ever seen. I can promise you that 60% of the perfect reviews are from parents of the elementary grades, and some of the teachers talk to students as like they are belittling them. The School's Principle is the most sinister person ever. My son who was in the EDC afterschool daycare program, the supervisors find a way to belittle my son. I myself talked to the principle and the EDC supervisor and

Posted March 18, 2013

I have had nothing but a great experience at this school. Our principal is always willing to listen to you and is very hands on. Our teachers go above and beyond to help students. The only bullies i have found are parents that baby their children. News flash, KIDS LIE, some kids are disrespectful what is the school to do, most of the problems these one star ratings are talking about are in junior high. News flash again... these are teenagers have you heard of hormones if you can't handle your kids at home then don't expect teachers to handle it at school without some sort of discipline. In detention they are asked to reflect on their why they are there, is that really so bad, you should be thanking the school. Also these people that are complaining you know your are paying for this school right, you can leave at anytime no one is keeping you hostage. I am sorry but i like to think of SJE as safe, unlike other schools our kids stay kids. No drugs, alcohol, bad language, ditching etc. is tolerated. Even you one star people have to agree to that !!! SJE students get into the high school of their choice, what does that say to you?

Posted January 28, 2013

I've been reading the reviews of those that give this school 1 star or less and I can't believe what I read. It seems that there is some kind of campaign to degrade the rating of this great school (maybe by another local school, afterall there is alot of competition out there for education dollars with the economy being what it is). One posting talks about writing a letter to the "Dean" - but there is no dean at the school. Another talks about $12 lunches. There have never been $12 lunches. Apparently these postings are coming from a source which has no direct experience at the school. So you've got to wonder about the value of those ratings. This school is way ahead of other schools in techology, values education, student achievement, and parental involvement. The cost of tuition is comparable to other Catholic schools in the area and there are a number of families at the school which could easily afford to send their children to much more expensive schools - but they send them to this school because of its excellence and the value they receive. My kids are getting a great education here and I wouldn't want them going anywhere else.

Posted January 16, 2013

Dont ever put your child here. I did and I regret it every day when he comes home and tells me about his day. How the teachers bully him.

Posted November 12, 2012

St. John Eudes is a wonderful school that prepares students for challenging high schools and college. The small school atmosphere allows every child to have opportunities to shine whether as a scholar, athlete, artist, debater of just social butterfly. Unlike many schools there is still a chance for children to learn music and art and most importantly, to enter the world filled with faith and optimism. Instead of focusing on ordinary daily irritants when choosing schools parents should look at where the children are in 10 years after graduate. With that in mind St John Eudes is a jewel.

Posted September 25, 2012

TO THE ANONYMOUS RESEARCHER FOR ALFRED B NOBEL MIDDLE SCHOOL: You are obviously not a researcher for Nobel. I bet you are a disgruntled student who has too much time on your hands. Before you post something like this, please make sure you have your facts straight - $12 lunches...really? Post a receipt showing the bill for the $12 lunches and I will post my receipts from Choicelunch which charges an average of $5 per lunch per student. Students are NOT given detention "out of nowhere". Every school implements their own means of discipline and detention as a result of accrued infractions or tardies, is an acceptable form of discipline. At SJE, detention lasts for an hour. Your claim that "to get principal's honor roll you can have as many C's as they please" is THE MOST ABSURD statement I have ever read. To qualify for the Honors List, you must have a 3.5 GPA with no Ds or Fs. Mathematically speaking, there is no way you can get a 3.5 GPA with Cs. I have a child in junior high at SJE. The teachers are excellent, the principal cares for the school and students and SJE has challenging academic programs. I am very lucky to have my child in St. John Eudes.

Posted September 6, 2012

St. John Eudes is an amazing school I became famaliar with SJE through volunteer work with the Parish where I had the opportunity to work with many children. I noticed that some of the children were better behaved, more respectful and more responsible than others. It was at that time, that it was brought to my attention that these amazing children attended the school and I decided to learn more about the program. I have the utmost respect for the principal and she clearly communicates her expectations of the students and parents. I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 6, 2012

I am the anonymous researcher for alfred b nobel middle school and this school is even worse because you don't get a good education. You also get detention out of nowhere, and finally to get principal's honor roll you can have as many C's as they please. THIS IS DOWN RIGHT HORRIBLE. If you send your kids there you will have to pay high payments for no improvement in education. Make the smart move and don't send your kids where there are 12 dollar lunches and possibly 1 hour of detention for being late to a traffic filled schools

Posted August 27, 2012

I currently have two children at St. John Eudes, one in middle school and one in elementary. I am very happy with the quality of education they are both receiving at the school. There is a science lab, a dedicated computer lab equipped with iMacs, iPad program, and a library. The teachers have all been wonderful. The principal, although strict, cares for the students. Why else would she implement the programs we have at the school? Kids graduate from SJE ready for high school, not out of fear, but because of the teachers, principal and administration who care about the students. My children are above average students. Both are being challenged, no busy work. They WANT to go to school every morning. They come home excited about what they've learned. St. John Eudes is an excellent school and I wholeheartedly support and recommend the school, teachers and principal.

Posted August 16, 2012

AWFUL DONT PUT YOUR KIDS IN THIS SCHOOL. i am a former student and this school put me in detention about 45-50 times during junior high year because of late work/ tardy. if your late 3 times at this school you get detention no excuses. its not the kids fault. also you dont do 3 homework assignments you get detention. the principal is a joke, and the LIBRARIAN had made me cry almost 5-6 times shes the worst ever. shes in charge of the edc program and would always yell at me. NO YELL BUT SCREAM she would not help and the principal wont do anything about it i remeber how much my mom tryed to talk to the principle about her nothing. MY MOM EVEN WROTE A NOTE TO THE DEAN. DONT ATTEND

Posted June 28, 2012

Horrible experience at St. John Eudes. Principal and teachers intimidate the kids threatening them saying that they will not be able to get into a good high school without them. They are rude and not helpful to the children (mostly grades 6-8). I honestly feel bad i let my kids go through this experience because they were MISERABLE. Glad I got them out of there so they can enjoy school again.

Ethnicity This school
Black 1%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9925 Mason Avenue