Public charter
Chico, CA

Blue Oak Charter School 2

Posted September 17, 2013
We attended Blue Oak for a couple of years. While I have great love for the Waldorf method and am still close friends with a lot of the parents and staff I unfortunately don't think this school is working. Blue Oak has many beautiful aspects to it, but educationally its lacking considerably. If your child is a strong and independent learner I'm sure she or he will be fine once moving on. Unfortunately a large percent of the students at this school are so far behind and I'm worried for them.

Posted September 17, 2013
This is my daughter's second year at Blue Oak. This school is amazing! My daughter has rediscovered her love of learning. Her teacher is committed to her kids on a level we never experienced at a traditional public school. The approach is wonderful. (I wish I would have had this opportunity as a child.) My only regret is that we did not have access to Blue Oak earlier in my child's educational process. I highly recommend this school as a place where children learn in a supportive, loving, engaging and empowering environment. My daughter just started the middle school years, dreaded by many, and is having her best school year yet.

Blue Oak Charter School 1

Posted August 11, 2013
My child was at Blue Oak for 3 years, 2 which were wonderful. Led by a veteran Teacher my child had a similar experience to the many reviews below. Fast forward to her 3rd year her veteran teacher had left, new administration and new values came to the school. I couldn't have been more disappointed in the administrations handling of my daughters special learning needs. The administration chose to punish my child for her lack of achievement once I contacted them about evaluating her for a learning disability. Through several meetings, I was told that the principal would not support anything other than a punitive approach as the principal who barely knew my child did not believe she had a learning disability - in her words my shy child who never got into trouble had an attitude problem. After meeting 3 other families this was happening to I removed my child from the school. Since then my child has been diagnosed with ADD, Social Anxiety disorder and several learning disabilities. Though I was a former believer, I can no longer recommend this school based on the treatment we received when we asked for help - I especially discourage any children enrolling that have special needs.

Posted August 17, 2012
I have three children attending Blue Oak. There is honestly not one other comparable public school in Chico. Two of my children play cello in the community orchestra that is offered. They are all engaged with a love of books. The difference in my children's attitudes about school has been profound since transfering to Blue Oak. Each of them looks forward to school and finds the methodology of delivering the curriculum to be very stimulating. Thank goodness for a school that educates the WHOLE child. The faculty and administration are all very supportive. The parent community is committed to making this school great.

Posted August 07, 2012
My two children are Blue Oak kids. I can't state enough how great a difference this school has made in my family's life. We love Blue Oak.

Posted January 14, 2011
Our child went to another public school in this community for two years before coming to Blue Oak. The difference in his increased level of self-esteem and willingness to learn has been simply astounding. This school does a remarkable job of building a child's capacity for lifelong learning.

Posted October 11, 2010
Kid, heart centered school that could use more money to make their dreams a reality. They have the will, the mindset and the tenacity.

Blue Oak Charter School 4

Posted October 10, 2010
My grandson has had a happy, well rounded education at Blue Oak where his artistic talents have been encourage as well has his reading and writing skills. Wonderful school.

Posted October 10, 2010
It's a Waldorf Charter School which makes it available to all children. We need alternative schools to support diversity!

Posted October 09, 2010
It's a Waldorf Charter school. The kids love it, the parents love it, the teachers love it.

Blue Oak Charter School
450 West East Avenue, Chico, CA  95926
Last modified Blue Oak Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blue Oak Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top