Michael G. Wickman Elementary School 1

Posted August 28, 2014
How does a school get a 10 on the "Great Schools" rating without an SDC program? Oooohhhh, that's how they get the 10.

Posted April 02, 2014
the staff makes every effort to take advantage of the diversity of thew student population to benefit everyone

Michael G. Wickman Elementary School 4

Posted November 13, 2012
Reading the post from 10/07, not sure what you are talking about. My 6th grade student is fully engaged, loves her teacher, and is doing exceptionally well. The 6th grade teachers are doing an incredible job, have you ever audited one of their classes, or are you basing your opinion on what your child is telling you?I have been in the classroom, and if you cannot appreciate all that these teachers do, then you know nothing about education. Note taking, although not exciting, is a required skill in jr. high and high school, the students need to learn how to master this skill. That is the purpose of the note taking. Perhaps the "no depth or mastery of the skill" you speak of, is solely something our child is dealing with.

Posted October 29, 2012
Wow, just reading the post from 10-7. This person has no idea what they are talking about. Probably a student that zaps the positive energy from EVERY teacher they have ever had. Not to mention is probably a daily problem! Unbelieveable. Just go to another school and let us all appreciate what Wickamn has to offer!

Michael G. Wickman Elementary School 3

Posted October 07, 2012
Well, I just spent 2 hours on a Saturday night reteaching or should I say teaching science content to my child. The 6 grade teachers engage the students in mindless lectures and note taking which result in little retention of the information. There is little variety in their instructional approaches. The only concern is to quickly cover the material. There is no depth or attention to mastery of the material. We pay entirely too much in taxes to receive such mediocre services. The only thing that will save our children is the national push to the Common Core standards.

Posted March 12, 2012
Some people say that Wickman's students are cold and unfriendly, but that is certainly not the case. They only seem like that because many of the students have went to Wickman from kindergarten to now so they are bound to have many friends in the school.

Posted January 21, 2011
It's interesting how different experiences can be from one student to the next! I have been a Wickman parent for several years now (2 children attend) and feel that my children are in an excellent academic environment. The teachers are loving, attentive, educated, motivated and inspiring. They are approachable and create a welcoming and safe feeling throughout the classrooms and the school itself. One thing I read below is that "the best teachers went to OPA (a new charter school)", which is completely false. There is not one teacher who left by choice last year. Parental involvement is exceptional, that is true. I am amazed at the levels parents rise to to help their children at school. But I believe that the education of our children is most definitely, a group effort. Homework, for my children, is what it is intended to be: a reinforcement of concepts taught in the classroom. I feel fortunate that my children have the opportunity to attend such an outstanding academic institution, surrounded by an excellent and loving staff.

Michael G. Wickman Elementary School 3

Posted August 31, 2010
My children have been attending Wickman since fall of 2009 & I strongly believe the school's performance is a direct result of the highly motivated parents whos children attend the school - more than anything else. Wickman has lost a significant % of it's highest achieving students & its' highly motivated families to a new local charter school with a strong emphasis on computers & second languages (asian flight). This school year has already started with a serious overcrowding issue & terribly high ratio which will no doubt result in even less instruction time for the students. It appears that the most motivated teachers have already left or are leaving, along with the very short lived vice principle. The school's commitment to academic excellence and over all development seems to be waning in light of it's competition. We'll see how the school year goes, but problems are clearly on the horizon.

Posted December 04, 2009
I love this school!Its api score is about 912 and it has great staff and students.

Michael G. Wickman Elementary School 4

Posted July 14, 2009
My children love Wickman! It is a great schools with many opportunities for the children and parents to be involved. I am a little concerned with the amount of homework in the upper grades. My son who is a great student can spend from 4:30 pm until 10:00 pm doing homework/ studying for a test. We have had some amazing teachers and even though I believe the homework is a bit excessive I still appreciate all the work the teacher's and parents put into making it one big family.

Michael G. Wickman Elementary School
16250 Pinehurst Drive, Chino Hills, CA  91709
Last modified Michael G. Wickman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Michael G. Wickman Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews.