Canyon Hills Junior High School

Public | 7-8

Posted May 23, 2014

My son is finishing up his 7th grade. I am impressed overall with the academic program and couldn't ask for more. Yes he does work three times more than he used to in elementary, but he is challenged and WANTS to work hard.

Posted December 27, 2013

As a student attending this school, I feel that it is truly the World's greatest. I used to attend a private school, so when I entered the public system, I was extremely confused. I didn't even know what GATE was! However, by 8th grade I got everything on track: got into GATE, have all honours, taking geometry, in Leadership, debate, FBLA, and tutoring. As an answer to one parent's review, I suggest that you talk to Mr.Finkbiner about the situation of not getting honors classes. I had the same situation in 7th grade, so i know what your daughter feels like. I feel extremely blessed to attend this school, and i feel that I will be very prepared for what is to come in high school because of all the great teachers and students at this school. I also want to mention that it slightly irks me when parents post negative reviews of this school when they haven't even tried to broach the subject, based on what I've concluded from their reviews. The staff are all very friendly and understanding, and are willing to talk and help you no matter what. There are teachers who see their job as only that, a job.so please take that into account and stop tarnishing this wonderful school's reputation

Posted December 21, 2013

Canyon Hills Junior High is definitely the World's Greatest Junior High. Transitioning from elementary school to junior high was one of the scariest moments for me in my life, but the welcoming atmosphere, inspirational teachers, amazing counselor (Ms. Uhr <3), and how easy it was to make new friends, made me almost forget all about elementary. The AVID program (my 7th grade elective) was a very life- enhancing experience for me, and I decided to use my newly attained skills as a leadership student in 8th grade. The only thing keeping me from a 4.0 in my 7th grade year was the shockingly high expectations from the PE department. However, in 8th grade, when I was FINALLY able to maintain an A in my PE class, I had new troubles dealing with not only the 7 hours of hw from all my honors classes, but also from geometry, and by the looks of it, so did everyone else in my class! I joined the debate club and the tutoring club, which was a lot of fun... but enough about my experience at Canyon Hills. It's time to make your own mark at the World's Greatest Junior High.

Posted July 3, 2013

I believe that this was a considerably great school, with the exception of a few minor problems. I recently promoted from the school, and I will miss it. I think this is a great school for your child. Although the office/library staff is quite rude when it comes to having trouble doing things, I think this school is great! There are a few teachers that I feel are unable to properly teach; in my 7th grade year, I independently had to study pre-algebra because my teacher taught at the last 5 minutes of class daily. Also there are some truly great teachers that enjoy getting to know you! They have many honor classes, and PE is very vigorous. This school has un-satisfactory lunch meals, it is very unappetizing as well as unhealthy. They are trying to have healthier lunches, but it's not working well, and does not taste good. The work-load is average if you dedicate your time well enough. There are various electives to choose from. Many say band/drumline is the best. They also have an avid-program (its not only for kids in danger of failing) Many with 4.0's still join ( probably bc of the disney trip) It's in general a good school!

Posted June 7, 2012

This school is great i moved here for 8th grade from woodcrest jr.high with a 5 out of 10 rating it wasnt a good school. when i came to canyon hills everyone was welcoming and had great pride in there school, a pride i never felt untill now. the teachers are great and caring. you can tell they want you to achieve. i love this school.

Posted April 20, 2012

i am a 7th grader and am in all gate and algebra the teachers are great. not a ton of homework i'm in band and drumline the instructors are great so much fun love this school

Posted September 18, 2011

an amazing school with great staff, great facilities, great opportunities and its all in an excellent community.

Posted September 20, 2010

Why on earth did this school's administration feel the need to rearrange class schedules after three weeks of school? I do not buy the statement that enrollment is up. I have heard that they wanted to create more Honors classes, which is fine, but to make the kids that are not involved with that still change their schedule.......nonsense. The first day of school is hard enough, let alone having to do it twice four weeks apart! This new administration is being questioned by a lot of parents right now.

Posted May 28, 2010

This school is horrible! My child rarely has homework. She isn't learning much. She is constantly being sent to the office by the teacher for really ridiculous reasons. She's a GATE student, but she wasn't enrolled in any GATE classes! She is very unhappy at this school and I REFUSE to send her there next year for 8th grade!

Posted March 22, 2010

Also the complaints of unsatisfactory special needs accomadtions. I am a P.E. class with 'special' students which I feel drag the rest of us down. I apologize for seeming harsh, but I feel that they are detrimental to the learning process for those of us who are average or advanced students. I know I must seem like a bigot, but I feel that 'special' students could have their own removed learning area, or school within the district. I apologize if I treaded on a few toes, but this is my own opinion from a current student.

Posted November 4, 2009

My child has gone to this school for 2 years now and it is a great school to have your child in!

Posted August 26, 2009

Canyon Hills is on track. I wish that they had a foreign language program but I hear they are working on it. Some parents are uninformed about what it takes to prepare a child to be on the right track for college, that's why they complain about the homework load. When kids apply for college they are competing internationally so we as Americans need to prepare our children to meet high standards. To those who don't know, this may require a heavy homework load.

Posted August 25, 2009

It's really funny how the reviews from students, like me, are about how much we love Canyon Hills, and from the parents are a different story. That is ridiculous! You guys have no idea. if you think that CHJH gives too much homework, that's stupid. We are in junior high, and we need to learn responsibilities. You can't just expect for us to get the same amount of homework as elementary, and then go into high school not prepared for the heavy workload. We only get 1 hour or so, not even that much on most days, which is pretty resonable. Canyon Hills is an awesome school :)

Posted June 23, 2009

Interesting how the students seem to think very favorably about Canyon Hills Junior High school, while the parents don't. Probably says a lot about the parents...which isn't favorable. I had two children go through Canyon Hills and both excelled, with the help of teachers, administrators, and me!

Posted June 7, 2009

As far as junior high schools go it's a good one if you have a motivated child that wants to learn. If you have a child that has a hard time organizing him or herself or requires any special attention watch out! The principal and vice principal are are accomidating and will do whatever they can within Chino Valley Unified school district limits. The breakdown in helping kidsthat have special needs such ADD, ADHD etc comes down to the district and most (not all) the teachers. From personal experiance, other 'Distinguished Schools' in other areas do a much better job of recognizing and working with these kinds of childen. I do not feel that Canyon Hills Junior doesn't care about the kids the do. I believe they do not have the tools and experiance to handle them properly. In the end with all the special meeting you will end up frusted.

Posted June 1, 2009

If you have a child with special needs, this school is a nightmare.

Posted March 17, 2009

I'm an 8th grade leadership student and this school means so much to me. We do so many activites. The teachers give homework so they can LEARN. All the teachers and great and a lot of them are there to help. I used to have one teacher for 3 classes before I got transferred but I still have her for two classes. My memories will last a lifetime!

Posted September 4, 2008

BEST school ever! This school gave me one of the best years of my life. I met many people, and made life-long friends as well. The teachers are great (hence the high API that they have). They're fun, interactive, and made you WANT to learn (not messing with you). They may be a little strict, but later you realized that what they taught you was extremely valuable skills that will definitely benefit you later on in high school. This school is second to none.

Posted September 4, 2008

Wow I LOVE this school to death! (I was a former student.) One of the best years of my school life came from this school. I met so many new people, and made life-long friends. The teachers are great! They're fun, interactive, and they actually made you WANT to learn. This school is second to none and made my 7-8th grade exciting.

Posted July 6, 2008

This school is great! I don't know why there it some comments very low and disapproving. I know they give a lot of homework...but it teaches us great responsibility and more learning. Plus the dress code is fine...why do we need to wear tank tops..wait till high school but right now we need to respect each other! Test notes are great because they help us on our tests...I know parents might not approve but don't you want your child to get good grades? The teachers are awesome and the staff as well, they are not that strict, they are funny, and they teach great things! Trust me if you read this comment, because this comes from a former student!!!! :)

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

509 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

389 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

411 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

524 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

533 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

523 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students94%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)69%
Parent education - college graduate80%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate82%
Parent education - declined to state69%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students26%
White (not Hispanic)n/a
Economically disadvantagedn/a
Not economically disadvantaged31%
Students with disability27%
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
Fluent-English proficient and English only24%
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)18%
Parent education - college graduaten/a
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a
Parent education - declined to staten/a

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2500 Madrugada Drive