Chula Vista, CA

Posted October 18, 2013
We have been here for two years (K & 1st) and love this school. The principal is absolutely fantastic... cares about the kids and goes above & beyond what he has to do. Parent involvement is very high and the PTA provides a lot of funding and events for the school. My son's K experience was average but I absolutely love his 1st grade class. They think outside the box to help the kids... for example, all of the 1st graders are divded into groups (below, at, and above reading level) and every day go to a specific classroom with their group to work on appropriate reading/writing. Kids who need extra help get it and students who are excelling aren't "held back" by other students. We are very lucky to go to this school.. of course every teacher has a different style, but if there is a true issue in the classroom the school will address it and move the child to another classroom if needed. Only downside is the 1st-6th playground area... mostly blacktop, little playstructure and no room for imaginative play. But other than that, top notch (and clean, well-maintained) school with caring staff & parents!!

Marshall (Thurgood) Elementary School 2

Posted September 07, 2013
My child's school experience at Marshall was NOT positive. We attempted to talk with the teacher and guidance counselor to make positive classroom changes but they were not accepted by the teacher. We did however, see changes in my child s relationship with the teacher, but never experienced a class room change (like we hoped). I volunteered in the class and experienced a fake, disrespect and manipulative teaching style. I never went to the principal but other parents did (wish I had). The classroom and the teaching were stagnant and kids seemed unhappy and bored, with little to excite their weeks. During the time at Marshall my child was difficult to rise in the morning and came home with a bad attitude. I chalked this up to my child having issues. We are currently at a different school district and my child rises easily and comes home very well mannered. My child is already behind at new school district. My advice, be in tune to your child's manners, they can reveal a lot.

Marshall (Thurgood) Elementary School 3

Posted January 10, 2011
I had a different experience with my child's 2nd grade teacher. She was very negative and didn't do well with kids who were spirited. I think she should be teaching upper grades, not lower grades. Also, they need to take the children out to PE as much as is required by the state. I found they would skip PE sometimes because they had other things to review....math, language arts,etc. PE is very important for our kids. Especially boys. And be careful if they try to label your child ADHD....it is not unusual to hear this complaint from many moms who have wiggly, talkative children.

Posted May 20, 2010
Im a student at Thurgood Marshall Elementary and i really like this school because you learn more than other schools, every single teacher thinks that their whole classroom as family and that welcomes everyone to be nice to eachother and it makes us feel not uncomfortable. Im in 5th grade and i really like my teacher, but im afraid to go to 6th grad because i will be leaving her and she's almost family to me.

Posted February 25, 2010
As far as the negative comments on this school - are you serious! you may want to look at the californian school system in general - before you blame marshall school for curriculum issues. Our family came from another state and can prove this state is seriously lacking in all areas of its curriculum and extra activities like music and sports. Most schools in california are looking to cut those programs now anyway due to budgets. Marshall school is actually a very good school. The californian school system is ranked one of the lowest in educational standards all 50 states. And as far as marshall school glorifying mediocrity, i think you will find it is a sign of the times at all schools in the us. Marshall provides a safe atmosphere and good overall basic public school education. If your seeking more - try private schools.

Posted February 08, 2010
My daughter is a member of the second grade at Marshall Elementary. We could not be happier with her teacher, Mrs. Watkins. She is always helpful and interested in our daughters success. She is professional and a joy for my child. Mrs. Watkins continues to overperform. Thank you. Thank you.

Marshall (Thurgood) Elementary School 1

Posted February 04, 2010
Glad Mr. Matz is gone. Just seemed concerned with student testing. Not concerned with student overall progress. Teachers are nice, but that's it. Not very helpful.

Marshall (Thurgood) Elementary School 1

Posted December 11, 2009
Nice teacher and a new dedicated personable principle does not make up for the poor curriculum. Most reviews seem to be about how nice the teachers are...that is not why we are sending our kids to school. It is to learn, to be educated with knowledge. On this measurement, it is lacking. After half way through the school yr, no science (did learn the continent song), no music, no art, no PE. It's just reading and math. For the upper grades it is the same, barely covers history/geography , no science (yet), no music, no art, no PE, still told to print work. No directed reading material just let kids pick there own books then sit in front of the computer and answer questions. Very minimal directed - teacher lead reading. Grading is based on a 1-4 system that is not clearly defined.

Posted October 29, 2009
excellent school for elementary grades! Teachers are wonderful and they instill discipline to their students.

Posted August 20, 2009

Marshall (Thurgood) Elementary School
2295 MacKenzie Creek Road, Chula Vista, CA  91914
Last modified Marshall (Thurgood) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marshall (Thurgood) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top