Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I don't write reviews for anything; however I felt compelled to do so due to the two most recent two star reviews. This will be our third year with McMillan and it is by far the most impressive elementary school with the best culture my children have ever attended. Unfortunately, our family has too much experience with varying schools as we are a military family. Speaking of which, of all the schools their military child program by far exceeded my imagination and has given more respect and shown the most appreciation to my children for their sacrifice. My daughter completed 2nd and 3rd grade with Mrs. Disheroon and Dr. Guthrie and my son competed 6th with Ms. Hernandez. Perhaps my image of the school is skewed, since everyone of my children's teachers have been nothing short of superb. They display the utmost passion for their job and seem to genuinely care for my children's development and well-being. Parents can expect their children to be challenged and actually learn in a welcoming school. I truly am grateful for their compassion and love for their job. Denee at the front desk had always been very helpful. Before we arrived in San Diego, she helped us enroll our children and made sure we had a smooth transition into McMillan. She seems to have an enormous amount of responsibility and makes sure everything in that office runs smooth. The Principal, Mrs. Orr is new. She relieved Mr. Mora and has enormous shoes to fill. Thus far though, Mrs. Orr is present and consistently interacts with parents. She is kind and can be seen throughout the campus. Additionally, as soon as she arrived she made changes to security at the school. I am often required to leave the SD area and these changes give me and my wife peace of mind when we drop our children off. I want to be clear, I'm not writing this to invalidate others concerns or opinions, but I wanted to offer my perspective into the school and its atmosphere.

Many inconsistencies: Rules not displayed accordingly, rules enforced for some children, not others. Secretary inconsistent depending on mood. The teachers are not welcoming. Too many assessments. Students expected to already know how to read, write, math. Many parents complaining that their child wasn't learning the basics, when advised to notify the principle or school district, parents felt that it would be worthless. Based on personal experience, it was worthless, even the district involvement. It is up to parentsto teach their children at home, why not homeschool then? I am not convinced by at this rating. Perhaps this is due to Common Core, not sure. My experience is mixed, mostly negative. There are only 2 male teachers. The rest are women. No diversity in teachers. It felt as if the teachers didn't know how to deal with boys. Lots of praises to girls, lots of girl power, lots of girl nurturing. Boys left to fend for themselves. The atmosphere is plain silly. Administrated staff is all female as well, except psychologist. I hope the new Principle improves on the inconsistencies.

You would think with the amount of military families in this neighborhood and school, that this school would be more welcoming. My child was treated badly by other students the second week of school. The secretary in the office showed us where the classroom was and that was it. I do think that the secretary could definitely use some people skills. We chose this school based on reviews and everything looks great on here, but the school has not lived up to the reviews. Once again, my child has found herself being treated badly by other children. There is a lot more that this school could do to ensure that this does not happen. There are so many students here that they cannot keep track of them. The school is on its second Principal this year. I do hope that she can bring some much needed change to this school. Not sure what has happened, but this school has gone down hill.

I love Corky! Teachers are wonderful. I get emails and notes about any situations I need to attend to. But mostly, it seems very positive and pleasant. When my kid can't wait for summer to end, I know he is in a great environment. If there is a negative, it is the parking and traffic in and out of there,... I just go early enough to miss it!

The Principal and Vice Principal are wonderful!! They really take the time to listen and help make the school a better place to be.

I've had three children attend this school in the last 9 years, and have had only positive experiences with the staff and the academic aspect of this school. They have an excellent overall enrichment program from social skills to education.

My daughter began kindergarten without knowing all of her letters and her numbers only up to 10. She didn't know how to spell or read. The school year is half way done and she can identify all of her letters, write sentences, and knows most of her numbers up to 60! The teachers really are interested and active with the parents to help children succeed. The PTA and the school hold lots of events and the parent community is very supportive. There are quite a few military families here so there are many friends that could also help your child transition to the new school. The principal is new this year to McMillin but he's got a lot of experience and he is very pro-active with the students. I honestly feel that greatschools.org should have given this school a 10 but the proof can be seen in my daughters' dramatic improvement.

We have the best students and the best parents!!!!

We're a top performing school with a very involved community!

Great staff, great kids, great parents!!!

Last modified McMillin (Corky) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.