Chula Vista, CA

Posted September 10, 2014
I have 2 kids that are school age. 1 is 11 months (this doesn't pertain to him) one is 8 - in 3rd grade and the oldest is 11 and in 6th. My 11 year old has downs syndrome and this school was terrible for him. School or rather the district seems to care more about money then programs, or properly training their staff, (under paid and lack of experience) Though they tried to assist to his needs they are just not equipped which is not beneficial for my son. However my 3rd grader is doing well. Aside from the common core standards (that i don't care for) the teacher herself - Mrs Walbanks is a great teacher. Very relaxed atmosphere and is a kind person. Though she does have clear expectations of the children which i really like. I rank a 2 star because of their lacking in the special education programs.

Posted January 01, 2014
Great school. Son is in first grade and making great academic progress. He has attended since kindergarten, transferred to school mid year and transitioned smoothly since the first day. Awesome!!!!! School is fun for my son who also enjoys the different classroom activities incorporating the different celebrations observed throughout the year. Son participates in before and after school programs, both on campus and off, and we have not had any issues. My son's teachers have been extraordinary and the friendly office staff much appreciated.

Posted October 27, 2012
Principal banned imaginative play from recess for all grades. Parents are pulling their kids out of this school.

Posted August 15, 2012
I was reading some of the reviews and usually don't write them online, but i think for the parents that wrote about the discrimination issues for the non hispanic children that they need to take a closer look at the school this year. My son started Kinder this year and is loving it, the class is mixed and well balanced his teacher is phenomenal, very involved and caring. Also his classroom as blocks and other toys for them to play with it is very colorful and inviting. The parents are all very friendly and when it comes to getting the children ahead of the learning curve i am impressed with the quality of materials and amount they learn in a almost playful way very quickly. His teachers approach on the curriculum is extraordinary and i have to say school has changed a lot since my time but i am very impressed with the staff, leadership and their academic programs that give all students a chance to learn at a pace that is exeptional

Posted May 07, 2012
I give this school 2 stars because of the beautiful campus in a nice neighborhood, and the other parents are friendly. However, we had several issues from the beginning. The principal was always very reluctant to allow observations (other schools were open & welcoming). She rarely returns e-mails, and she eliminated indoor play or any play-based learning in Kinder in order to improve district assessments. However they would play cartoon videos during quiet times or indoor recess since there were no blocks, play dough, or anything. One of the Spanish kinder teachers told me "creativity is for at home." The worst part was when my Kinder slipped out of class unnoticed. I happened to find him at the rear gate of the school. No one was looking for him. Teacher did not inform the office. At a later meeting with the principal she said she sent a parent to notify the office, which turned out to be false. The principal did not seem concerned. When I discovered this I took him out of the school. She said a kid goes missing every year but they always find him. I hesitated leaving this review, but I feel other families should know so they can make an informed choice.

Posted January 16, 2012
Excellent school with very dedicated teachers. Test scores are consistently high and parents are very involved.

Liberty Elementary School 4

Posted January 10, 2012
This is my 1st year at Liberty and my child's teacher seems to have good classroom control. I feel that my child is safe at the school and enjoys going. The parking is a nightmare. Kindergarten parents have to park and walk their student into the classroom and do the same for pick up. There is a HUGE bus area that is only used for Special Ed students. This area could be used for Kindergarten drop off and pick up to help with the ebb and flow of the parking lot traffic. My student is in the English only class and the class is small--I cannot complain.

Posted July 24, 2011
My daughter's 1st year here has been great so far. The principal was friendly and took time out of her busy day to answer my questions. The curriculum and programs available seem very well thought out. We're looking forward to an outstanding year.

Posted July 24, 2011
This school is outstanding, and the staff is amazing. I can't believe how dedicated the teachers, principal and even the office staff are. I normally don't post on message boards like these because typically it's just the crackpots that do, but you need to give credit where credit is due. Great job Liberty. Thanks for making my children's education your passion.

Posted March 03, 2011
I love this school. My son has had great teachers while at Liberty. His teachers are firm and have high expectations. I think the staff really cares about the kids and the Principal knows the students by name. You will always see many parent volunteers at the school.

Liberty Elementary School
2175 Proctor Valley Road, Chula Vista, CA  91914
Last modified Liberty Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Liberty Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top