Salt Creek Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Chula Vista

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $440,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,380.

Posted May 21, 2013

My son attended 1st grade before we were relocated to another city. He loved his school, friends and teachers. He adapted well and made a lot of friends. The principal, Dr Winters is friendly and approachable all the time, He setup a communication channel via weekly email, blog etc to keep us up to date. I also did some volunteer work in the classroom, and was able to bring my 2 yr old along, which was great considering some schools do not allow toddler presence while volunteering. My son is now in 2nd grade in a new school but he still misses his school and teacher, Mrs Allinger.

Posted October 18, 2012

I am very happy with the structure of the Salt Creek Elementary, the teaching staff and the principal are doing a excellent job. My son is already adapted and has many friends, his learning skills are improving in a very positive way, he loves this school !

Posted October 28, 2011

I was extremely happy when my daughtrer started school, she entered Kinder, now she is in 3rd grade and since the change of principal and principal assistance it hasen't been the same, I feel they don't give 100% of there time to improve teaching as well as the environment that has been going on in that school, previous principal and principal assist. were more involved with there teachers, students and parents which was very rewarding to all of us, it totally makes a diference and a piece of mind when you know you little ones are in good hands. I do want to give a thumbs up to the MOM's from the PTG group that are making a diference in our parking lot, hurray!! no more "parking chaos" Thank you Momies".

Posted July 14, 2011

Salt Creek has been wonderful for my daughter. She recently finished the 1st grade with Sr. Fernandes, who is an absolutely amazing teacher with an obvious passion for teaching. This school is part of the Anti-Defamation League's "No Place For Hate" and has implemented neat programs to help children develop into accepting and understanding individuals.

Posted July 13, 2011

I am very satisifed with the school. As a teacher myself I am very involved in my student's education and have been happy with the education he has received. He is in the dual immersion program and we could not be more pleased as non-Spanish speaking parents. I have had no negative experiences thus far and have had positive and supportive interaction with the principal. To correct a prior statement from another parent, there are after school activities/ care (reading, YMCA care, mad science, etc), and while there is no "official" PE, I am not aware of any school in the area with organized PE. It is really up tot he teacher. Most important is this school has a great API and broke 900 this year. Your kids will get a good education here.

Posted July 13, 2011

My children have been at Salt Creek for the past 2 years. I love taking my children to school daily and having a Principle and V. Principle who remember me by name and my children. The teachers are superb! I could not ask for anything more!

Posted July 13, 2011

My first 2 years in with my oldest have been outstanding. I am extremely impressed thus far with the DI program, and can hardly wait for my second and third children to start. Principal Winters is always available, and honestly addresses all concerns efficiently and effectively. Being an english speaker, the parent involvement has been imparative to my childs success and has met my family every step of the way. Overall the school's API scores speak for themselves. Salt Creek is and will continue to be a great school in my opinion.

Posted July 13, 2011

Salt Creek Elementary is an amazing school. My son is going in to second grade in the dual language program and he is not only learning - he is excelling. Though I only speak English, at 7 years old, my son is already able to read, write and converse at an accelerated level in both English and Spanish! The teachers are incredible and utilize patience, understanding, and innovation in their instruction. My son is happy and excited each day to go to school and he, and his soon to be kindergarten sister, are eagerly anticipating the upcoming school year. Salt Creek offers many programs and activities which engage not only the students, but also encourage the whole family to get involved. I would highly recommend Salt Creek Elementary to even the most discerning parents.

Posted May 26, 2011

School was great at one point. Do not know what happen but it has lost its value. A few teachers that seem to be on a power trip really do not know why they pick this career if there going to act like this. Maybe we are Awaiting for SUPERMAN (lease watch movie totally applies) No support from principal noir viceprincipal.Good LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted December 29, 2010

I have two children attending Salt Creek and our experiences for the past 5 years have been very positive. I definitely think the school's greatest strength is its dual language immersion program. The teachers in the program are prepared, enthusiastic and approachable. Parent involvement is always welcomed. What would make this school even better is a comprehensive after school program and a true GATE program.

Posted December 16, 2010

The advertisement is false. They do NOT only NOT have after school activities by the school. They do NOT even offer PE during the day! Warning do not move here unless you are latino and not physically active.

Posted December 11, 2010

Salt Creek has an excellent Spanish Immersion program. We have two children in the program-in first and third grade. My third grade student scored advanced on the CST's last year and I applaud the high expectations that their teachers have for all the students as well as the standards based report cards that provide us with a detailed profile of our students academic performance. Keep up the excellent work.

Posted July 7, 2010

My daughter just finished Kinder at Salt Creek. She absolutely loved her teacher Mrs. Jones and her class. I was very pleased with her teacher's expertise with children, her teaching skills, enthusiasm and style. My daughter quickly learned how to read and write on her own. She will be joining the dual-immersion program next year and I've heard great feedback from other parents. The Principal, Mr. Winters, has shown great leadership and expresses a friendly and caring attitude. We love Salt Creek Elementary!

Posted May 26, 2010

School is great , Pretty please with everything. I am have my kindergarten enrolled there and he has had a great experience....

Posted November 8, 2009

We are so impressed with this school. We have moved around a bit, and this is the best school our children have ever attended. We have one in Kindergarden and one in 1st, and both are thriving at Salt Creek. The school is large, but I would not call it over populated at all. So what if it has 7 1st grade classes! It has 7 outstanding 1st grade teachers! The quality of the 1st grade education the children receive is what is important, not the number of classes. The teachers give great individual attention. The school has all sorts of after school programs. The school has outstanding behaviorally based encouragement. I highly recommend this school. One of our snobby neighbors sends her kid to a private school in 'North County.' I laugh at her ignorance. The richness of diversity in a great school is something she is depriving her child!

Posted September 15, 2009

I agree this school is over populated. I live across the street and saw the school being built. It was a nice the 1st year when it first opened, now it's so crowded. I really enjoyed Dr. Glover, but, he has moved on. I don't know where all of our property taxes go but, it seems like every time the school needs money, flyers for a fund raisers, school supplies, field trips and 6th grade camp, the list goes on and on. There's not one month that goes by, that the school needs money for something.

Posted July 27, 2009

Great school, with outstanding principal, staff and parent involvement

Posted October 6, 2008

My daugher enjoys going to this school. The new Prinicpal Dr. Glover is very enthusiastic. I just wish they had an all day Kindergarden program what a hardship for working parents.

Posted September 16, 2008

My son is in 1 st grade in the Sp. immersion program. I was very disappointed to find out the second week of school that his teacher found a new position. But the transition has been great. Parents were actually invited to participate in the hiring process. I was one of the three parents on the panel to hire a replacement and what a wonderful experience. My son loves his new teacher. The principle is awesome and inspires greatness. Only wish the school had fewer students.

Posted September 15, 2008

Great Principal Dr. Glover, this is my sons 3rd yr at this school and his teachers have been great. We could be lucky, but I think this school just has good teachers. My son went from shy to outgoing and no problems with bullying so far. Encouraged parent envolvment, and lots of student awards. His teachers have noticed where he is excelling and where he needs more attention. I feel the kids are challenged but at the same time allowing them to be kids and have fun. My son cant wait to go back to school after the breaks. unfortunately we are moving out of state, we will miss this school.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

157 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

157 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students62%