Chula Vista, CA

Posted November 04, 2014
Lazy teachers, rude and unhappy staff. The only decent teachers in the school are tested like outcasts. Children are treated like cattle and verbally abused by certain teachers. Stay away!
3 people found this helpful

Posted November 04, 2014
We have had to contact and talk to the third grade teacher numerous times about the importance of using the bathroom and hydration. Our daughter was not allowed to use that bathroom when she asked. As a matter of fact, students have to pay the teacher in "Schnitzer" dollars that they earn through good behavior to use the bathroom. She has come home with stomach aches because she was not allowed to use the bathroom. In addition, the only time that we forgot to pack a water bottle our daughter had to be taken to the doctor due to dehydration (we have documented proof). After we talked to the teacher, our daughter feels reprisal because she is being ignored and not called on. Our child's third grade teacher has verbally abused and alienated our child at every given chance. In addition this teacher discussed our concerns with the whole 3rd grade class and talked on the phone about is in front of the whole class. My daughter was embarrassed to say the least. We have pulled our child out of this school today and she will Not be returning!

Posted March 27, 2014
This school has great teachers that are dedicated and the results of the recent API test scores reflects this. The parents at this school should be more committed to volunteering and helping with events/programs that are run at the school. There is a very small handful of parents that help out. With a school as large as this, there should be more parent involvement. There is a sense of entitlement with the parents here, they want everything from the school but don't really want to be involved in order to get it. The PTA does an amazing job of offering programs/events/fundraisers but they have to practically beg for volunteers to help out or bribe them with rewards for volunteering.

Posted August 13, 2013
This school has good teachers but its school secretary makes it a horrible experience to be at. She has absolutely no social skills and lacks any empathy or sympathy. I do not know why she is working at a school, the principal definitely had a lapse in judgment keeping her in that position.

Posted May 31, 2013
This has been the first year my child has attended this School. I'm not very happy with how the new principal has managed different situations. For example, it has been a change of teacher when there was only two and a half more moths to go before the end of the school year. Also, not happy with award ceremony they do at the end of they year. If your child does not get a trophy, it can be for several reasons: they did not deserved it, or on the other hand, they deserved it but there are certain number of trophys per class, so even if more children deserve it, they cannot give it to them.... As I was told. Not very happy at all! Some things need to change for the well of the children.

Posted April 08, 2013
I feel the reviews would be better served by filtering out those that appear generated by the staff/business. Minimizing a parent's experiences by suggesting they go somewhere else because the child and parent have been ill-treated is unnecessary. Please do not assume that the aforementioned concerns have been kept secret- they have been addressed time and again. This forum prohibits naming individuals in the review- it is not about remaining "anonymous." I could give plenty of examples, but that does not improve the matter. Furthermore, the administration has seen for themselves how this teacher interacts with parents, and I can tell you that one member of the administration acts similarly. (Actually, this person does "smile" but it is fake and does not reach the eyes.) You can state how the school has certain test scores from last year, but that has nothing to do with the way students are treated. Those are only numbers- and lest you have not followed the recent news, some schools have easily falsified the scores. My child is not a number. Perhaps you're right though... since things haven't improved, maybe it's time to take the matter up with the district and CDE.
3 people found this helpful

Veterans Elementary School 4

Posted April 06, 2013
I think it is important for parents to understand that the school does not have control over class size. That is mandated by the district, which they take their direction from the state. Primary classes (k-3) do not go above 25 students, upper grades (4-6) do not go above 31. Secondly, if your child's teacher is mean and nasty, you need to speak with the principal. You can remain anonymous but it is not going to change if nothing is said. Finally, Veterans Elementary has a stellar CST history. Last year, the API went from 899 to 911. They are one of only 10 schools in the district to be in the "900 club." Clearly, the teachers are doing something right. If your student is not enjoying Veterans then apply for a zone transfer and try your luck elsewhere. I guarantee you will not find a better school environment or staff.

Posted August 23, 2012
This school is too crowded. My son was one of the overflow kids that had to sent to Tiffany Elem. We moved into this neighborhood because of this school. Not at any time when I registered my son for kindergarten l was I told there may be an overflow situation...I learned of this after orientation. He was allowed to remain at Veterans for 2 wks until a new school was found (Tiffany (Burton C.) Elementary). I don't understand why Veterans couldn't do what Tiffany did which was bring in more teachers to accommodate the extra students. Kudos to Tiffany for thinking

Veterans Elementary School 5

Posted June 12, 2011
This school is amazing, that is why it carries such a high rating. To the comment above there is an african american kinder teacher and classes are 10 to 12 students, not 30 to 35. Maybe should double check your math when counting. My daughter just loved her kinder teacher and can't wait to start first grade:)

Veterans Elementary School 5

Posted April 28, 2011
Love. love love this school..Excellent principal and teachers..Veterans have good API's 897..Curriculum is in high standards..LOve love love.

Veterans Elementary School
1550 Magdalena Avenue, Chula Vista, CA  91913
Last modified Veterans Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Veterans Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top