Leonardo Da Vinci Health Sciences Charter School

Charter | K-6 | 280 students

Our school is best known for its focus on health and science.

School Official Point of View

Posted November 10, 2012

Leonardo da Vinci Health Sciences Charter School (LdVCS) is a K-6 elementary school with a health and science focus where we value developing the skills, talents, and interests of the whole child. LdVCS uses Project-Based Learning to engage students in authentic cross-curricular learning experiences, and as a health sciences school, a major part of our school s mission is to create health literate students who exhibit knowledge, skills, and behaviors critical to healthy living. We are an independent public charter school where decisions are made locally with parent and community involvement. We offer daily physical education, incorporate running into the day every day for all students, and provide lessons in Spanish as a foreign language. We are a tuition-free public school. Our students are happy and enjoy school! Visit http://davincicharter.org for more information.

Posted September 26, 2013

LdVCS is like a home away from home. My children feels safe and nurtured, and is always willing to try new innovative ideas that LdV provides. I love this school, the teachers, staff, parents, and students who grow closer to one another everyday.

Posted July 6, 2013

I have seen a big improvement in my 4 children, there so exited everyday to go to school. There more calm and enjoy sharing what they learned. They were behind and now in one year attending this school there doing great! Love this school!!!

Posted December 13, 2012

I am so happy that I found this school! This is the best school ever! I come from a private school, and beleive me this school is waaay better! fisrt of all I love the programs the run very day, the teachers are wonderful my 2 kids are very happy the love the school and their teachers, LDVC is the best school for my kids!!

Posted October 12, 2012

I was fortunate enough to get our son in the lottery, and after his first year I am so happy to be part of this school. Watching children thrive in the project based curriculum, learn healthy eating habits, and stay fit with the running program has been really wonderful. My son grew so much during his first year, and is now thriving in first grade. The teachers are amazing and dedicated, and the group of involved parents makes such a difference. The new facility the district has provided is really terrific, and I look forward to watching both of my children grow in this wonderful school over the next 8 years.

Posted October 12, 2012

This is my third year in this school, I have 2 daughters one in 1st grade and one in 2nd grade, this is the best school, the teachers are amazing, their Math program is so good and my daughters are so happy and enjoy every moment they are at school. All staff memebers do a great job too. The Parents are so involved. Nothing can make me happier than see a big smile in my daughters face every day and they are learning too! Priceless..

Posted August 25, 2012

Felicidades este es mi segundo anio escolar y cada vez veo mejoras en todo mi hijo va feliz al colegio y todos los d as tiene algo nuevo que platicarme que aprendi ... Me gustar a que: El uniforme fuera obligatorio que proporcionaran credencial escolar Que dieran un certificado de fin de curso escolar Diplomas por asistencia y puntualidad

Posted February 9, 2012

Would absolutely recommend this school to all parents! The teachers are excellent, parents are very involved and the students are wonderful! LDV is the place to be! Most of all my children are happy!

Posted October 14, 2011

I love this school and most importantly, my children also love it. My children have greatly improved academically. I like the policy of more nutritious lunches and snacks, the communication they have with parents, and everything in general. I love it.

Posted October 3, 2011

My daughter at 5 years old knew she wanted to go to LDV after only a little while visiting an already in session class. She left public school where she was bored to tears and given sub-standard food and candy by her teacher in an aging, ill-maintained school. She has thrived and even thanked me for finding this school for her. She gets a well-balanced education coupled with healthy eating habits that are important to our family. Although we live in Imperial Beach, we feel the commute and commitment is well worth it. She is being exposed to methods of teaching and subjects you just don't get in the public school system anymore. My husband and I call it a private school education at public school prices! ;-) My preschooler can't wait to attend next year and have the same Kinder teacher my older daughter had. She attended programs with me and sees how happy her big sister is at school. The only way I could be happier with this school is if it was a block away!

Posted August 3, 2011

It is sad to see that the ratings of this school go down because a few people expect there children to become geniuses out of one year of school. I recently saw the numbers and numbers don't lie. Starting out the 1st yr the school exceeded expectations, and I strongly believe it will continue to do so. My daughter came from a public school with 1200 children and little to no parent involvement. At this school you not only get to know the teachers and staff, but you get to know the parents as well. What I find even more interesting is the diversity and no seperation of socio-economic status as children form all over the south bay are welcome., not just from Eastlake. I look forward to a great new year and hope Mrs. Van Nice continues to build on Mrs. Kang great work.

Posted June 11, 2011

Unfortunately this charter stands for anything but community. While they encourage parent involvement and monetary donations, rarely do they appear to make decisions based on community opinion or for the benefit of the children. In fact, the resounding message that is received at most meetings is that if parents don't like the decisions being made, they are free to leave, as the school has a wait list and those children can easily be replaced. Teachers are great, but are often treated unfairly and also don't seem to have much input, which is resulting in a quick turnover. While they promise a Spanish program, it has been canceled mid-year both years they have been open. Poor fiscal decisions, leaving many to wonder if the school will be able to stay open or if they will be forced to close their doors mid-year. It is truly a sad thing when a school with such potential is run like this. We were so optimistic coming to this school when it opened, and leave now feeling defeated and worn down. We walk away having made wonderful friends, but also feel that attending LDVCS has put our child's education at a disadvantage.

Posted October 8, 2010

I am a parent who left this school and it was a tough choice. The school is nice and small and everyone knows everyone. It has a good "vibe". But, it lacks fundamental resources to meet the needs of many of the kids. After trying to advocate for change, we decided it was best for our family to move on. If you are undecided, I recommend stopping in to the school and seeing for yourself, as every family is different. You can learn a lot from observing the leadership and parent involvement there.

Posted October 6, 2010

I read the one star reviews and have to inform readers of the truth. The two parents who gave these reviews are consequently the two parents that are pulling their kids out of LdV this week (we all know who they are, very gossipy, and I am happy they are freeing us of their negativity). I love LdV but more importantly my son loves LdV. I pulled him out of our local school of 800+ students when I noticed his significance their was just a test number. Sure he was a good test taker, but he was unmotivated to learn and lacked important skills. Since he's been at LdV, he loves learning, is making personal connections and has an overall improved quality of life, while still being challenged in all curricular areas. I couldn't be happier.

Posted October 5, 2010

I like the vision of this school but decided to pull my children out after the start of the year because of the poor test scores and the inability to see any change from the administration. The Board seems to be cut off at the knees and parents, while asked to be involved, aren't engaged beyond asking for fundraising efforts. Some teachers are gems, but can't do their jobs because of the lack of leadership.

Posted October 5, 2010

We love LdVCS! I have my degree in Psychology and Child development and researched and actually visited several schools before making this school the perfect choice for my daughter. My daughter is getting a well balanced education. What I like about this school is that she is able to advance and work at her level. I also like that she will get extra help in her weaker subjects-- Her teacher is wonderful and i really like that all the teachers in her grade work together. You can't expect a school to have the highest test scores in the first year! I feel very informed about what is going on in my daughters classroom and in the school. The fact that this school has grown SO much from the first to the 2nd year, just tells you how much parents want their kids to come here!

Posted October 3, 2010

I love the location of this school. I feel very secure there. The staff is always trying to make improvements. They are very open to parent participation and go out their way to keep parents informed. Yes, this school has had to work a few things out being a brand new charter school. But all I know is my child is so much happier here than at his last school. If I were a kid, I would want to go to LdVCS too.

Posted October 3, 2010

My child loves this school and so do I. We left our neighborhood school in Chula Vista because they were only teaching to the state exam. My child was getting sick each day from stress. At LdV the teachers have found such a nice balance between teaching to the state exam and what children need in life. This school has not stopped teaching science, social studies, PE, or art. If all you are concerned about is state test scores then stick with a test prep school. If you want your child to think and be a good person then come to LdV. The comment about the teachers not being able to teach is ludicrous. All you need to do is volunteer for a day and you will see how amazing the teachers are! Being a part of the solution, and not the problem is the charter school way.

Posted October 1, 2010

Horrible Leadership! Terrible curriculum ! Many disruptive children, no playground equiptment...Kids can tell you about body functions, However they cant tell you the basics. Seasoned teachers who cant teach. ALWAYS an excuse as to why they cant reach benchmark. Highly recommend pulling your kids out or not even consider going there at all. NOT one grade level could reach state standards. FAILING staff equals FAILING students!

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 9%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Science
  • Computer lab

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Health & athletics

• Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Amber Goslee
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (619) 420-0677

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Project-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor