School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Leonardo da Vinci Health Sciences Charter School (LdVCS) is a K-6 elementary school with a health and science focus where we value developing the skills, talents, and interests of the whole child. LdVCS uses Project-Based Learning to engage students in authentic cross-curricular learning experiences, and as a health sciences school, a major part of our school s mission is to create health literate students who exhibit knowledge, skills, and behaviors critical to healthy living. We are an independent public charter school where decisions are made locally with parent and community involvement. We offer daily physical education, incorporate running into the day every day for all students, and provide lessons in Spanish as a foreign language. We are a tuition-free public school. Our students are happy and enjoy school! Visit http://davincicharter.org for more information.
November 10, 2012

Bad
Good

I was very hesitant of changing my child from the public school he was already attending because I wanted to support the zoned school we were assigned to and my son had already made a couple friends. My husband found this school and, fortunately, there was room for our kindergartner. I was very anxious to switch him because of the low score assigned to this school (4). We decided to give it a try anyway. I was so pleased when we went for the Picnic/Orientation (a meet and greet with the teachers). I watched the children of all different ages, I heard them speak to each other, the involvement of the parents, the staff. I was confused on how a set of children like that could have such a low score, it seems impossible. The school is fairly new and I'm sure that's what is affecting the score, there is just no other logical explanation. Today was the first day of school and the transition was so much smoother than the traditional school. We were allowed to tour the classroom while the teacher engaged the children. This way there was no shock for the children. It was amazing. I am also pleased that there is a bit more cultural diversity throughout the school. The neighborhood is mostly Hispanic, as am I, but I want my children to be exposed to variety. They also teach the children Spanish. I am looking forward to my son being excited to go to school again as it was when he was in the Chula Vista Presbyterian Preschool.

As a parent with three children I would have to say we've been blessed on so many levels! The teachers and staff are amazing! They care about the whole child and take care of situations as they arise. Our little school has come along way and will continue to strive.

Ldv is great school because they have amazing teachers who are highly educated and well prepared. All the teachers are loving and patient and rely on positive discipline to help the children learn and grow. The class sizes are small. They offer great after school programs at affordable costs. The are looking into having the DASH program next year. There is lots of parent involvement. My children have been attending Ldv since 2010 and every year the school has made great improvements. Don't be thrown off by the test scores, while other schools are focused on preparing kids for the test scores, Ldv prepares you children for their future. My children have learned plenty if not more than what traditional schools are teaching. As I mentioned before the teachers are what makes this school an excellent choice for your children.

Great school! It's our first year here at LdVCS and we love it! The students are very welcomed by the amazing Teachers who truly care about their student.

My 5 year old enjoys attending this school!!! The way they teach here makes learning more interesting and fun. We as Parents first attended the orientation meetings before the start of the school year, and we can tell the entire staff love their jobs and love to TEACH!! It feels like a small community of neighbors, they hold meetings to keep you informed and encourage parents to be involved as volunteers. We receive weekly e-mails from my son's teacher about what they are about to learn for that week. I couldn't ask for a better school for my boy.

LdVCS is like a home away from home. My children feels safe and nurtured, and is always willing to try new innovative ideas that LdV provides. I love this school, the teachers, staff, parents, and students who grow closer to one another everyday.

I have seen a big improvement in my 4 children, there so exited everyday to go to school. There more calm and enjoy sharing what they learned. They were behind and now in one year attending this school there doing great! Love this school!!!

I am so happy that I found this school! This is the best school ever! I come from a private school, and beleive me this school is waaay better! fisrt of all I love the programs the run very day, the teachers are wonderful my 2 kids are very happy the love the school and their teachers, LDVC is the best school for my kids!!

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted November 10, 2012

I was fortunate enough to get our son in the lottery, and after his first year I am so happy to be part of this school. Watching children thrive in the project based curriculum, learn healthy eating habits, and stay fit with the running program has been really wonderful. My son grew so much during his first year, and is now thriving in first grade. The teachers are amazing and dedicated, and the group of involved parents makes such a difference. The new facility the district has provided is really terrific, and I look forward to watching both of my children grow in this wonderful school over the next 8 years.

Last modified Leonardo Da Vinci Health Sciences Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.