Public charter
Chula Vista, CA

Posted October 10, 2014
This school is the best it could happen to my two children! Teachers are amazing, the principal is so nice and very pleasant to work with. As well as the staff. I love when you can sit down with the teachers and they are always positive and open to work with your children and you and they will do what ever they need to teach and help your children learn and thrive !!!!! WE LOVE HIGHTECH!!

High Tech Elementary Chula Vista School 4

Posted June 26, 2014
Once parents reconcile that HTe's problem based curriculum differs from traditional teaching, they may understand the tremendous advantages such an education offers. Via inquiry based learning, students are able to have multiple experiences on a topic and partake in both reflection and critical analysis successfully. The teachers DO lay the groundwork for basic tenets such as critical textual analysis and number sense. Families then need to "supplement" , not "supplant" these ideas. This extraneous support by caregivers should occur, regardless of the school. To suggest that HTe does not offer "good teaching" or instruction is unfortunate. Though anecdotally, I submit that my own child's growth this past year was significant. I attribute this to her teacher's strategies, the social climate of the school, the social constructivism approach (inquiry based learning) ,the HUB (where she would often be found until six as we work) and our work at home. The curriculum and teaching is not subpar as another reviewer suggested. It's innovative and challenging. However, this style may not be for all students. Parents need to know their charges.

Posted June 05, 2014
I cannot believe that parents are expected to "supplement" the incredible lack of good teaching at this school. We were so excited to have been selected and to be part of the" few ones" /lucky chosen. I honestly wish we had not been selected. My son's academic skills significantly dropped. He had fun. But that is such a disservice to our kids. Luckily for this school, many of the kids come from affluent families that can hire tutors or get involved with kids education. Now I have to pay for tutor to catch him up over the summer. What a shame. Something needs to change with this school.

Posted June 03, 2014
I am a HTE parent & credentialed teacher w/ 14 yrs. experience in public & charter schools. I enrolled my child w/ HTE b/c I wanted her creativity to grow. I understand the demand this school places on parent involvement. It should be emphasized in every school system. However, parents aren't expected to supplement their child's learning, but to make up for what the teachers are *lacking* in quality instruction. NOT EVERY PARENT IS A CREDENTIALED TEACHER. It's the teacher's professional job to offer parents a GUIDE to help their student's learning, not to expect parents to take over while teachers engage students in arts & crafts. What's the point of teaching students how to make a rocket out of household materials if they don't even know the part's purpose? The lack of quality reading & math instruction are evident. Many Kindergartners enter first grade barely learning how to sound out letters. This isn't preparing our children for college or careers. The POLs help with public speaking, but what hiring manager would give a second glance to a r sum with spelling errors? What college professor has time to teach students how to take notes? Read "Checking for Understanding," pg. 73

Posted January 22, 2014
I have a relative whose children attend HT Elementary and HT Middle. I've experienced schools that are heavily test-based, so I was thrilled at the idea of a project-based school. After seeing what HTE's done to my relative's children, I have to discourage parents from enrolling their children here unless your child is already an independent learner. Perhaps this is just the Chula Vista location, but HTE teachers do not emphasize fundamentals in reading/writing, & focus more on fun activities than genuine teaching. My niece entered Kindergarten last year. She is in first grade now & doesn't even recognize words like "said." Her older sister started Kindergarten in a nearby public school & is a very strong reader. My neighbor's son & a teacher friend's daughter are Kindergartners this year. Both parents have told me there isn't much reading or writing going on. The upper grades aren't much better, sadly. The students are working on projects, yes, but there's a difference between telling someone what you're DOING and explaining what you're LEARNING. A project-based curriculum isn't a replacement for rigorous reading and writing. They are part of college/career readiness

Posted November 06, 2013
I Pulled my son out of this school after only 2 weeks of 5th grade. He was one of the 'lucky ones' selected well into the school year, but this was because of parents were already pulling their children out of this school. From the very first day my son was frustrated and embarrased that in 5th grade he had to do circle time, sit on the carpet and have teachers read and act-up 2nd grade level books to them. Most of his classmates did not remember how to do a simple fraction or division. When I interviewed with his teacher and asked about math skills and preparedness I was flat out told that any math or writing skills was something the parent had to do with the child at home because that wasn't 'that' type of school. So, my son found himself painting masks, building towers with paper cups and reading 2nd grade level books at school for 2 weeks before he went back to his homeschool. To this day he still reminds me of what I did to him. He is now a 7th grader

Posted October 03, 2013
My school is fantastic. I love that along with the academic learning, they learn real world skills that will help them in the future. The staff is extremely caring and supportive. They are still young and are working on improving school parent communication, but are on the right track.

Posted September 25, 2013
Don't get me wrong I truly love high tech and how they work but the parking is just a huge problem ! Plus the staff does nothing about it. Do they not know ... Very disappointed ! I saw the director and staff out there doing nothing and I was waiting outside on a do not stop anywhere area .. which my risks go up for getting a ticket ! I was in line for 45 mins just trying to enter to pick up my elementary student because one car wouldn't move. Need a better picking up system!!

Posted January 21, 2013
We feel very fortunate to be part of HTe School, everyone truly cares about the children, it's very unique there's no comparison to other schools.

Posted November 29, 2012
My children love HTe and their teachers! From the director on down, everyone truly cares about my children's learning. My kids tackle their projects with enthusiasm and I am no longer have to worry about homework packets that they used to bring home from their other school. They dreaded them and really never learned anything from them! Here, they are able to think critically, imaginatively, and analytically. They have not only grown academically, but socially as well. The High Tech High Five core values really teach them how to be better students in school, and better people in the real world. It's truly amazing the growth I've seen! The only thing I hope for is more parent involvement. It always seems to be the same parents who always volunteer, which is wonderful, but there are so many opportunities to help out. If you made the effort to get your child into this school, please do more to support it.

High Tech Elementary Chula Vista School
1949 Discovery Falls Drive, Chula Vista, CA  91915
Last modified High Tech Elementary Chula Vista School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
High Tech Elementary Chula Vista School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top