Chula Vista, CA

Posted May 21, 2015
We moved to this school from overseas in 2011. I have one child with an IEP, one with a 504 plan, and another very academic child. 2 out of the three are also GATE qualified. All of my children have received nothing but great care at this school. Also the sports and parent support at the school are phenomenal. The principal does a great job and the teachers are all great in their own ways. Many of the teachers have been there for years and choose to send their own children there which shows you the level of committment there is from the teachers. Could not have been happier with the school.

Posted February 20, 2014
Horrible school! Mrs. Nakamora is by far the worst principal ever. There is a huge bullying issue that never gets taken care of. The staff act like everything is a popularity contest. The sports programs are run by incompetent "coaches" and that's only half of the problem. They do not enforce a dress code, therefore you will see little girls with short shorts and inappropriate shirts. Definitely not a school to send your kids to.

Posted August 29, 2013
I left one the most well-respected elementary schools in Mission Hills and brought my daughter here. Her former school did nothing but pile on homework from the first day of kindergarten. Half the kids in her 1st grade class were in tutoring to keep up. I was told over and over to hold my child back and when I asked for support and help from the teachers to get her on track, I received none. At Casilla's, they have gone out of their way to be supportive of mine and my daughters needs. They have an exceptional way of teaching and guiding the parents. It's a tight community with a lot of parental support. I'm very glad, as is my daughter, we made the switch!

Casillas (Joseph) Elementary School 3

Posted July 16, 2013
Principal leadership has gone down. Office staff is not very friendly. Teachers are awesome I just think they get the support. So sad for at one point this was one of the best schools in the area.

Posted July 11, 2013

Posted November 02, 2012
I live in the same neighborhood abut a block away from the school and would like to complain about the noise from the loudspeakers, announcements and music are TOO LOUD!!!! If those kids have not suffered hearing loss from the loudspeakers, they surely will, as a neighbor I have to tell you it is very anoyng, please turn the speakers down!!!

Posted February 22, 2011
I am very frustrated with this school, the teachers and especially the principal who seems to have his focus on everything but education. The school is all about adequacy, making sure the highest number of kids pass the minimum required standards. Teachers don t stray from the EXACT same lesson plans they've used year over year project/event flyers sent home are often incorrect because they neglect to review and change the dates from the dates for the prior school year - the ultimate in lazy teaching. The principal obviously has aspirations above his current position as he has latched on to a "platform" of healthy snacks in schools and has made that his singular focus. I don't even recall the last time he had a communication about actually providing educational challenge to his students. High achievers have met minimum standards, in the schools eyes they don t seem to be worth focusing on. Your child is bored with the constant repetitive review of the same topic over and over - too bad, they will not make efforts to challenge them, that is simply not the way the grade's "teaching team" works (i.e. - we don't have a worksheet for that that we can photocopy....)

Posted May 28, 2010
As a parent of third grade student we are excited about the progress and growth our son has made. The school provides a balance of academics, social, and emotional growth. The Principal, Mr. Merlin is a kind and warm hearted person. The community is involved and celebrates studentssuccess.

Posted May 14, 2010
Outstanding teachers and very involved parents. Our son went Kindergarten through Sixth Grade and every teacher was a winner.

Posted May 13, 2010

Casillas (Joseph) Elementary School
1130 East J Street, Chula Vista, CA  91910
Last modified Casillas (Joseph) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Casillas (Joseph) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top