Public charter
Chula Vista, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted November 24, 2014
Excellent school with excellent teachers. My kids just started at Discovery and our doing awesome. We love how involved the PTC is to continue raising money for the school. Ms. Youngblood and Mrs. Mosey are excellent teachers. We just hope and pray that we can continue to have the kids go to this school.

Discovery Charter School 2

Posted August 25, 2014
I was told this school was great. I am not very impressed. My son was sick in class and I never received a phone call so I had no idea. He suffered the whole day because he said the teacher said he was fine since he did not have a fever. Make a long story short, my son went to the ER and was throwing up for the next 2 days. Not too long after that we received a school email showing an overall attendance record and on the bottom the principal wrote "we can do better than that" I was more than annoyed! Talk about bad timing.

Discovery Charter School 1

Posted August 20, 2014
Teachers should keep things more confidential when it comes to parent teacher meetings. VERY unprofessional! It has gotten quite uncomfortable to see my child's teacher and the parent of the child I complained about each day. Kids are beating each other up on the grassy area in front of the school while waiting for their parent's while staff stands around watching. I have to be there an hour early just to get decent parking to pick up my child. My child constantly comes home thirsty and hungry and when I ask why, my child says because the teacher told me to throw away my food so we can hurry up and play. SERIOUSLY!!!! I don't care about my child playing if my kid is hungry! Parent's who personally become friends with the staff also receive way better treatment. It's sad. I saw a parent get excused for parking in the area for pre-school pick ups and drop offs only because she was friends with one of the workers. She parked there and said she will only be a few minutes. Her "FRIEND" told her don't worry about it, I will just say I know you and you're picking up a preschool child. That ladys kid is 8! I look white, but I am Mexican and understand Spanish! Shame on them!

Posted April 22, 2014
My 8 and 9-year old grandsons are students at DSC, and they both feel it is the best school (of 4) they have ever attended. With that endorsement I am happy to rate this school with 5 stars! They seem to be thriving and learning.

Posted April 21, 2014
Discovery is a STEM academy with every lesson having a science, technology, engineering, or math focus. The teachers are outstanding with a true hands on, sitting on the floor, writing on the desks (erasable) approach and using creative videos and funny voices on Edmodo to inspire the students! It works as the recent API score hit 900! and the school has been designated as a California Distinguished School. Staff collaboration and communication could be better. Parent involvement could also improve as it is a Charter School.

Posted May 13, 2012
Smart, educated teachers, a principal who is involved and cares about the students. A full-time nurse on site. They have plays, fine arts, sports, and daily fitness.

Posted May 22, 2011
Our family loved the Pre-school program! I the ratio is 10 students to 1 teacher! The whole year we were there we never were to capacity always about 20-22 kids (3-5 yr olds). Which meant that the ratio was smaller. They group the kids according to their abilities, how they will be chalenged. The kids have a great computer lab IN class, painting, coloring, craft area, puzzles, puppets, circle time, recess, snack time, math time, and much more.

Discovery Charter School 1

Posted February 02, 2011
Pre-k program has way too many kids in one group. 30 3-5yr.old's in one class!! Crazy!! The class is messy and unkept and the teacher's seem burned out or inexperienced.

Discovery Charter School 3

Posted July 02, 2010
Love the teachers and staff! The principal, however has poor leadership skills and has little to no communication skills. With the right leadership this school will grow by leaps and bounds.

Posted February 18, 2010
Love this school! 5th grade teachers go the extra distance to teach!!! Safety and security measures are top notch and the best I have ever seen! Extracurricular activities are great for each grade level and right on! This school should have a 10!

Discovery Charter School
1100 Camino Biscay, Chula Vista, CA  91910
Last modified Discovery Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Discovery Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top