Chula Vista, CA
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Research indicates learning a second language increases brain growth and promotes healthy brain functions. In addition, our nation is increasingly diverse, and our planet has flattened as we move further into the 21st century. Effective communication and critical thinking skills are essential in this modern, technologically driven world. Imagine the power of possessing academic language proficiency, and the ability to effectively communicate, in two languages. The advantages of biliteracy and bilingualism in today s age are clear, and the power of its potential to create future opportunity is limitless. Next school year, Dual-Language Immersion Program enrollment will be OPEN to ALL 2012-2013 students in Kindergarten through Grade 2. The Dual-Language Immersion program will expand, yearly, into each subsequent grade-level as students continue to advance. EastLake Elementary currently offers a Dual-Language Immersion (DI) Program in Kindergarten and 1st grade. The goals of the Dual-Language Immersion Program are to promote English and Spanish biliteracy, bilingualism, and biculturalism through formal academic language instruction and academic language development. An informational meeting inviting all current Kinder and 1st grade families was held on February 1, 2012. Information regarding the benefits of foreign language instruction beyond elementary school years, with implications for middle/high school and college entry, was shared. In addition, a change to the Dual-Language Immersion Program s instructional model at EastLake was presented. Preliminary survey data acquired since the informational meeting indicates strong school-community interest to move forward with program adjustments to EastLake s Dual-Language Immersion Program. To view the February 1 presentation materials, please visit: http://www.cvesd.org/schools/Eastlake/pages/programs.aspx The new Dual-Language Immersion model maintains the original program goals of biliteracy, bilingualism, and biculturalism. For half the school day, students will learn English Language Arts and mathematics in English. The other half of the school day will be conducted studying Spanish Language Arts and science/social science, in Spanish, in a different classroom with another teacher. Equal exposure to two languages, ensuring 50% of the instructional minutes in each school day is devoted to either language (Spanish or English) is referred to as a 50/50 Dual-Language Immersion model or Two-Way Language Immersion. A program shift to the 50/50 Dual-Language Immersion model creates several program advantages for EastLake, including: Language balance. Students will develop English language arts and Spanish Language arts proficiency (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) through a 50/50 instructional model beginning in Kindergarten, and as students advance through grade 6. A true language-immersion experience with two language teachers in two separate classroom environments, at each grade-level, each with the primary purpose of developing literacy and academic language in English and Spanish. Students will rotate between languages and teachers. Allow newcomers to the Dual Immersion program. Previously acquired language instruction, in English or Spanish, will provide a language foundation to support simultaneous learning of two languages. Student-models of each language will promote language learning and enrich learning environments. Increased program participation and more students meeting program goals will allow for teacher teams and professional collaboration at each grade level.
February 25, 2012

Posted August 10, 2014
I would like to start off by saying!!! East lake Middle music program is wonderful! Mr. Acadamia is amazing!! He taught music to 2 of my children. WOW!!! My son had never picked up an instrument and in 90 days was a fluent in music. My son was moved to advanced band!!! He now can play several instruments. Mr. Acadamia is always encouraging him to try new instruments!!! I would like to say thank you!!! The school really does care!!! It has over 1800 students ,however if you need something they will listen! Your child is important to them!!!! Because they understand how important your child is to you!!!! I highly recommend this school!!!

Posted April 19, 2014
Eastlake staff is amazing, they work as a team to help the students in all aspects , I like the way they are reinforcing not only the academics but art and most important discipline in always a positive environment. I would like to see an after school math program to support the students with math homework. Proud to be an Eagle mom! PS. They always make volunteers feel important and welcome, and that give us the opportunity as a parents to see whats going on.

Posted April 17, 2014
The school have improve en the las 3 year in technology they have porches iPad end more computers for the class rooms

Posted April 17, 2014
This school is awesome! I have a second grader there. It was her first year in a public school and she is very happy. Her teachers are caring and nurturing. They have helped her grow in all areas, but specially in her mastering of the Spanish language, as she is in the dual immersion program. They have plenty of fun extra-curricular activities. I am thankful for the principal, staff and teachers. They have all been great!

Posted November 07, 2013
My name is Mrs. Rosales and I wanted to start the Eastlake Glee Club at this school, because I noticed Dr. Banatao has provided so many wonderful programs for these kids that were not available a few yrs ago, and I wanted to help when he asked about music. Four yrs. ago we moved from Hawaii and at that time there was no football, soccer, cheer, basketball, chess, art, cooking class and today there s even more. My daughter and nephew also attend this school and I they are happy to go every day. When I say happy.... my daughter shortens my morning coffee so she can be "The Safety Patrol Supervisor" at 7:30 am every morning. She loves math, her 6th grade teacher Mr. Nieves, and now she tells me she wants to be a mathematician. I can't complain she's an A+ Student and this tells me the school is doing it right. What else could a parent ask for, good grades and tons fun programs for children. I can t complain. Well this is our last yr here and I say: Thank you to the principal for adding, offering so much, these last few yrs and making our kids excited about our school everyday. Go Eagles!!

Posted October 08, 2013
My child started attending Eastlake Elementary three years ago. Since then, I have witnessed countless positive aspects of this school. The API score has increased, there are numerous activities that are available to students, and my child absolutely loves the teachers. Eastlake is a welcoming, family friendly environment and I am glad we decided to enroll our child at this school!

Posted October 07, 2013
We moved here from Florida when my child was about to enter first grade. She is now in fourth grade and we are so pleased with Eastlake Elementary School. While education of course is a priority it is also a fun loving and friendly environment. The principal is terrific in that he has established numerous after school programs and athletic teams that were virtually non-existent prior to his reign. Unique programs such as Animation, Robotics, and Chess make it a stand out school for kids who want more than just reading, writing, and arithmetic. In addition, the school also has a strong dual language program for kids to learn in both English and Spanish speaking classrooms to foster a bilingual education.

Posted October 02, 2013
We been in this school for 3 years, my son is a fifth grader,all the teachers he had are great,also the group of speech ,OT,and aditional support for my son in academics is great. The PTA really work with the always enthusiastic Principal also teachers. Activities and after school program like piano lessons,Robotics,IDraw,just to mention some of them are awesome . Congrats!

Eastlake Elementary School 4

Posted October 02, 2013
My school is ... a place where kids are motivated.. Eastlake has many after school activities that our kids have hard time choosing. From Sports to Music..... Happy and Active Kids EastLake Elementary is the place to be!

Posted September 25, 2013
This school only gets better and better each year!!!! My kids have really benefited from going here and I am so happy with this school.

Eastlake Elementary School
1955 Hillside Drive, Chula Vista, CA  91913
Last modified Eastlake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eastlake Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top