Halecrest Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Chula Vista

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $278,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted July 10, 2014

Halecrest is AMAZING and we have an AWESOME principal. All of my children attend Halecrest. The teachers and principal ensure that the students are taught the standards in addition to providing great extensions to the curriculum - science and music rotations, school plays, variety show, multi-cultural fair. It is a privilege to be at Halecrest and we should be so lucky to have such a caring principal and teachers.

Posted May 27, 2014

My child has been at Halecrest Elementary from K-2nd grade. In that time my child went from loving school to absolutely hating it. My child begs me not to go to school every day. The principal seems more interested in test scores than the children. My child is well above grade level but is not challenged. The PTA is amazing and parent involvement is good. The teachers are pushed to produce high test scores and are so stressed they forget they are dealing with children. I am looking for another school, most likely a charter school where passing tests are not all our children are taught.

Posted March 7, 2014

Es una escuela incre ble. Me encanta la organizaci n que hay. Existe mucha cooperaci n entre los padres y maestros. Realizan muchas actividades los ni os y sobre todo tiene un muy buen nivel acad mico. Me siento muy orgullosa y feliz que mi hija asista a Halecrest.

Posted August 1, 2013

My nephew has been attending this school since 2nd grade. My family and I have seen an amazing difference in his english vocabulary, math, reading, and social studies. He is now in 6th grade, having 7th grade a.r level. He previously attended Feaster Edison from kindergarten until 2nd grade he only new spanish and very little english. Within 1 month he learned the pledge of allegiance in english @ Halecrest. His confidence has gone up, his excitement for school, and now he's saving up for 6th grade camp. His past teachers have been very good teachers. The principal I haven't heard that much about but staff and teachers are great.

Posted July 12, 2013

I was disappointed with this school. I had the opportunity to have my son go here, after myself and my two older siblings went here when were were in grade school. 2nds grade was pretty good but 3rd grade made him not enjoy school, way too big on test scores, and I don't feel the principle was interested in the children, but again just the test scores. I don't feel like this school has the same love and warmth it used to but the PTA was wonderful, and again 2nd grade was pretty good. 3rd not so much. I'm sadly happy that we had to switch my son to his now home school.

Posted January 15, 2013

I actually went to this school 30 aught years ago. It was, and sounds like a great school.

Posted November 27, 2012

most teachers are greatly involved in teaching the children well as well as raising them to be well rounded children, I had the honor of having 2 of my children been thought by great teachers. The principal needs to work on really listening to Parents, PTA and Teachers, it seem s like she does but at the end of the day she makes her own personal decision based on the best needs for her and the district. I feel like the principal pressures to bring scores up and that is her main concern. that's why I gave her an average score. The parent involvement is really good and since it is a small school most of them know each other, but since the school is made up of mostly transfer students there's also allot of parents that are unable to be involved.

Posted February 28, 2012

My two grandchildren had the opportunity to attend Halecrest 2011-12. Ive always heard positive things about this school! My grandchilren love this school very much! English is our primary language and Not in so many schools ! They came from Las Palmas-National City , you never hear any English spoken there! What a different environment, all positive!!!!!! Keep up the Good work!!!!!!!!!!

Posted November 7, 2011

Yes, for sure the reputation of Halecrest is well known in the Chula Vista district. Supervision however has become a challenge as many parents have mentioned that their children haven't been supervised BEFORE & AFTER school - the dash program run @ Halecrest is by far mediocre with little to no supervision & children running around the school at free will. its almost as if the governing body at the school has forgotten that it takes a village to "raise" our precious children to become upstanding citizens & to cultivate leadership, this is apparently a missing ingredient at Halecrest.

Posted May 30, 2011

This year has been a year filled with many great achievements at Halecrest. There is no better school in Chula Vista than Halecrest and I love it. The principle is great and if everyone who puts negative comments about her would only open there eyes and see all the improvements in the school and her involvement you would sing a different tune. Due to budget cuts many programs had to be cut but because of the principle many programs have continued because she has run them in her own time, the teachers are amazing and the PTA is great, many people that I have spoken too would love to have there kids attend Halecrest but the school is full. For all you people who think the school has gone backwards then why have you not transfered you kids to a different school. Our test scores say it all. Halecrest is the best school in Chula Vista

Posted December 16, 2010

This is a great school! I should know, I've been coming here for 6 years as a student.

Posted September 22, 2010

We moved to Chula Vista last year and I enrrolled my kid in 1st grade at Halecrest Elelentary, aside from going throught the challenges of getting the kid enrrolled all my other experiences have been positive. the Principal is very inbolved in the school she is out every morning greeting students and opening car doors so the kids can get out, based on my personal experince I do believe that the principal has all the leadership skills neede to lead the school succssesfully. All the Teachers we have interacted with have been wonderfull to us, my kid is doing great reads well and is getting mat down. I am proud of Helecrest Elemenay we will continue attending this School and when my other little one is old enugh he will go to Halecrest Elementary as well. Go Halecrest Keep up the good. work

Posted September 3, 2010

I have two kids that attend Halecrest. I used to love the school when the old principal was in charge; he was/is the best principal I have encountered so far. It is still a good school but mostly because of the great teachers, strong PTA presence and overall scores. The new principal I could do without. She is just an average mediocre principal.

Posted June 11, 2010

Love the teachers and staff but truly miss previous principal. Like past comments, I agree the mood has changed and although I still feel Halecrest is a FANTASTIC school, it has lost the sparkle I felt daily when my oldest started kinder.

Posted April 22, 2010

Other changes that have occurred are the fact that discipline issues are not addressed immediately and the Principal is never available. The large exciting recognition assemblies with the power point presentation are a thing of the past. The atmosphere has truly changed to the bad.

Posted March 12, 2010

You'll notice there haven't been any reviews since the last school year and that's because there was a change in principals and things have changed rather dramatically since then. the fun yet achievement-oriented atmosphere that used to be present under the previous principal's leadership no longer does. the school website rarely gets updated these days and whatever little posting is on there is no longer that informative nor that interesting to read. the new principal instead is bent on micromanaging recess time to make sure the students are not having are fun, relaxing time while on recess. it's sad.

Posted August 2, 2009

I have 2 daughters that attended Halecrest for the past 2 years, we are a military family, and sadly had to move. The PTA is very active, the teachers welcome parent participation in the classrooms, and keep you in the loop instead of just at conference time. This school has many different programs available, girl scouts, GATE programs, art, music, and p.e. as well. The principal is very available, friendly with all the kids and parents, and knows everyone by their first name. Overall if you live in Chula Vista it's worth transferring to, if this school is not your neighborhood school, it's the best in the district!

Posted July 14, 2008

Great school, staff, and principal. I drive from the westside of Chula Vista so my son can attend this fantastic school.

Posted July 14, 2008

As the Principal of Halecrest Elementary, I confidently give this school the highest possible rating. Halecrest is a great place to learn, and not just because of the solid test scores. Teachers and staff are dedicated professionals who design instruction and activities to bring out the best in children in a challenging and supportive environment. Besides our high academic expectations our students enjoy rich learning experiences including our Arts, Drama/Music, and PE programs, memorable PTA activities, and partnerships with Sea World and the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center to enhance our science curriculum to name just a few. Do I really believe what I think about this school? Well, I'm transferring over my son to Halecrest this fall to join my daughter who attended there last year. Check out our website as I'll be posting the top 10 reasons to put your child at Halecrest and I welcome all inquiries.

Posted June 17, 2008

My child was a transfer from another school... at first I was hesitant placing her in a school I didn't know much about... fortunately for us that was the best thing that could have happened. It is now three years later and we couldn't be any more happy with this school. The principal far exceeds any expectiations and knows that communication is important. The PTA is one of best I've ever seen, they care about the children. You are bound to see a board memeber volunteering on campus almost everyday of the school year. The teachers work together in a way that makes the children learn and be happy. The support staff is great and the programs are just as wonderful. This school provides a great education and is a school very much worth bragging about. Any issue I've had has been resolved and we are lucky to have this school.

This school's

-13

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

All Students65%

• Shayne Wilson
Fax number
  • (619) 421-8746

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now