Lauderbach (J. Calvin) Elementary School 1

Posted May 21, 2014
I would never have chosen this school for my foster children. Unfortunately the courts would not allow me to transfer them to a better one. Assemblies are conducted in a strange mix of English and Spanish, report cards and voice mail messages were delivered in Spanish. My children were not supported by the teachers or school psychologist who believed a 6th grader reading at a 3rd grade level was fine as long as he was "trying" to improve. I wonder if the school receives grant money for having more ESL learners, therefore it's best not to make any effort to improve their English. When my 6th grader's Spanish was recently assessed he was told that he needed to improve his Spanish because THAT was the language that would benefit him in later years. Even though he is an American citizen. This used to be a good school...what happened? Administration is doing a disservice to students and parents by not pushing the students to do better.

Posted September 13, 2010
I am a parent of a student at Lauderbach. The bigots who condemn this school for emphasizing the ESL program at this institution are obviously ignorant people. The correlation between bilingual students and successful business people has never been more evident. A bilingual student in English/Spanish has more advantages than an English only speaking student. This nation was founded by immigrants and it will always be run by immigrants. Look at President Obama! Get over the Mexican hatred and recognize that the Spanish speaking people are the most valuable asset the United States has since the BRASEROS!!

Posted August 03, 2010
I am a parent of a 4th grader and he has attended Lauderbach since 1st grade. There are two reasons to keep him in this school; one: convenience to our home and two: his teachers. The school itself seems to care more for the families who do not speak English and cater to them then making sure the children excel in school. My son is an overachiever and there are no activities for hime to join whether be sports or academic. I do not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 27, 2009
I am a teacher at this school and have seen MANY changes throughout the years. I noticed these posts were old. There is now new administration at this school, and things have really turned around. Years ago as a part time support teacher I was highly disgusted with the discipline problems and lack of respect the students had for adults. NOW, I do not see this at all. There are hardly anymore discipline problems and students are being challenged in the classrooms. Children are also being forced to transition quickly into english classrooms. Scores have been going WAY up. I am very proud to be working at this school.

Posted May 01, 2009

Lauderbach (J. Calvin) Elementary School 5

Posted November 26, 2008

Lauderbach (J. Calvin) Elementary School 5

Posted June 06, 2008

Lauderbach (J. Calvin) Elementary School 1

Posted May 10, 2007

Posted November 30, 2006
The only reason why I am still keeping my child at this school is because his teacher is excellent! Other than that I dont like it. It seems that due to the percent of students that don't speak english the rest of the english speaking childeren arent challenged and pushed to excel. I am a spanish american and my children speak spanish but we are in America and here they should speak English. That is the only way for them to succeed in America...

Posted April 29, 2006
I have worked for this school for one year in the recent past. It has a cohesive group of teachers and they are dedicated to the students. There is a high transient rate, but the teachers work well with this. They have a good bilingual program and transition the kids quickly, retaining their first language.

Lauderbach (J. Calvin) Elementary School
390 Palomar Street, Chula Vista, CA  91911
Last modified Lauderbach (J. Calvin) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lauderbach (J. Calvin) Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews.