Bonita Vista Middle School

Public | 7-8

Living in Chula Vista

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $278,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted August 1, 2013

I hope the teachers this year are better able to help the children with thier Ipads and I hope they keep thier websites concerning homework up to date. I was emailing a teacher last year, come to find out he never recieved an email because the email address on the school website was incorrect. Not one person figured that out until I brought it up towards the end of the year. BONITA MIDDLE SCHOOL NEEDS SOME MAJOR HELP WITH EVERYTHING!

Posted February 19, 2013

I am a student at this school, and it is a fun, awesome, and a good school. Most teachers here provide good education, as well as a fun learning enviorment. The new, updated technology is GREAT! (I prefer for adults to know that the students here do get IPads as a replacement for textbooks!). These IPads are great, but most kids all over the district are jailbreaking them. The school has a lot of electives such as Spanish, French, Band, Chorus, and the ASB. The ASB is similar to student council, and its oonly for 8th graders. The school leadership is good, and I wouldnt trade this school for any other! GO CRUSADERS!

Posted January 31, 2013

I give this school no stars at all. I currently have a 7th grader at this school and he has a 504. The 2nd half of the school year has started and the Counselor and the male AP still have not implemented my son's 504. Not one teacher knows he has a 504, so nothing has been implemented in the class room. It doesn't stop there...Since my son has learning disabilities the school has treated as a disruptive child and is just waiting for him to mess up again so they can expell him. This school is not compliant with the laws set in place to protect kids from falling through the cracks. Do not let the 5 star reviews convince that this school is worthy of your child, you would be better off throwing into a wolf pack and hope your child survives. I went to Bonita, so did my brother and my sister. Bonita used to be a good school, not anymore. It's even sad to look at, very run down, poor athletic fields. There are so many other "good" schools to choose from in the area

Posted July 20, 2012

BVM, like most schools, are a bit complex. I came back from break to discover my lock and textbooks gone, and while I told the secretaries what happened, they laughed and around. Also, the locker records were super disorganized. Who had what locker and all that, you couldn't discern anything from those. Some of the lockers are really old and rusty as well, and spray painting now comes as no surprise as it happens so often. There's duct tape on the walls from leftover posters, and the paint on many of the buildings are old and chipping. However, once you get pass the gauntlet that is the main office and BVM's rough surface, it really is a wonderful school. Think of it as a small community. All kinds of teachers are there, with varying personalities. There is a huge emphasis on education and school togetherness. The students are of all backgrounds, and there is almost no racial, gender, age, or sexuality tension on campus. Students have the choice to show up for their classes, choose what elective they want, ect. And who could forget the ASB? In 7th grade I thought they were the highlight of the school. I aspired to be one of them, and I will go back in 8th proud to be a member.

Posted December 5, 2011

These comments must be coming from staff members masquerading as parents or students, this school is average at best. The staff seems to know absolutely nothing daily by phone or in person. Students are singled out I understand the need for rules but enforce them equally across the board. Children are sometimes bullied and it gets swept under the rug because they're scared to speak up, this is sad. My nephew always says the principal remarks we have the best school to which I reply everyone says and think they have the best school.If you want a honest answer opinion let the parents have a chance to voice opinions from time to time..

Posted October 25, 2011

I am currently an 8th grader here at Bonita and have been attending since the 7th grade. Overall, the school is great. There is a huge emphasis on the social sciences program, but it's survivable, and you learn a lot from the teachers. I think the ASB is very proactive, and very spirited students who do their best to help the school. I do have some problems regarding the recent staffing of our principles/vice principles. I believe it is very inconsistent, and that whenever there is a change in stafffing, the students are not notified, so we have to rely on each other to understand what's going on in our school. I believe that communication is key between staff and students for a successful school. Other than that, Bonita provides an excellent educational program and the students are very motivated thanks to teachers and ASB. Go Crusaders!

Posted May 31, 2011

The reviews ares mixed and as a parent, depending on the day you visit sometimes the secretaries in the main office attitudes and information is hit or miss. They seldom have an answer when the website is under construction. Calling for that information is a complete bust. Regarding progress reports if parents have had any contact with teachers at all, this the first introduction and by then it's too late, only a few teachers send them home to you I say Thank You. Those who do not say students should be held responsible for keeping grades intact being they are now middle schoolers. That's all fine and well but inorder to reinforce anything that's taught during the school year, parents should be able to contact the teachers prior to the report coming home.They can work together so the students can gradually improve. These are easy fixes and these complaints should be geared toward helping the students suceed. We need the entire faculties help. Parents we can help better the learning expirence by doing our parts at home.

Posted October 11, 2010

I don't know when this site is updated but the api score listed is wrong. it was listed in the 700's when, in fact it received a score in the 830's for 2009-10 school year. It also ranked as one of the top High Schools in the US by Newsweek magazine. My child is a junior here and has had an incredibly positive experience.

Posted August 20, 2010

School was inept at dealing with special ed students, cheerful, but inept. The staff was courteous to the adults. However, they expressed their frustration to the students on numerous occasions. I suggest training for regular teachers on dealing with students with IEPs.

Posted February 4, 2010

very unsafe imature school

Posted June 5, 2009

I am currently a 7th grader going to 8th at this school, and I had a choice between this one and Eastlake. I just chose randomly at first, but now that I think about it, I do not regret it at all. We have an awesome principal and a very friendly staff. Joining in clubs and teams and going to competitions against other schools is always cool because we get to represent BVM. I just don't think I would have gotten the same experience with Eastlake.

Posted April 7, 2009

At,this time 2009, im a 7th grader here at BVM. This school is great!!! this school has advantages for learning. In my opinion... the teachers here are really really great like my math, english and world cultures teacher my mom told me to come to this school, but I was planning to go to Rancho Del Rey Middle ,my mom told me to come here because she says this school was great and I had a better chance of going in to one of a UC school like UC San Diego.So far ,in the 2nd semester ,I have A's and B's and now waiting for my next report card if anyone is planning to pick a school in Chula Vista ,I'll say choose Bonita Vista Middle School.

Posted September 29, 2008

I am currently an 8th grader at this school. everything is awesome except for the counciling system. The councilers are very uncooperative and rude. My dad tried to call the school to switch teachers because the teacher was not using my learning style and they did not switch me.I learned almost nothing in science but went to an awesome tutoring program and kept my scores up. Last year I recieved straight A's. This schools social sciences program requires a lot of homework but you learn alot. Over all this school is one of the best in the district. If your ever having trouble ask one of your childs teachers for an advisory tutoring pass.

Posted March 11, 2008

When we moved to the US we tought it was going to be extremely hard for our daughter since she only spoke Spanish. It was a surprise when we saw her grades as she was getting A's and B's. About the staff.....they are GREAT they do care for kids. My daughter is already in High School also getting extremely good grades and still in contact with some teachers and staff from BVM that care to call and make sure she is in the right track. They have great programs and a lot of motivation towards going to collage. I am looking forward for my youngest daughter to go there. This is a #10 school for me.

Posted October 12, 2007

bvm is the greatest school ever good food good education and the counselers try their hardest to make whats right

Posted October 12, 2007

I am currently at BVM in 8th grade. So far, it has been a good experience. Others (especially parents) get very, very mad at the counselors. Yes, some of them don't really do their job, but they have helped me get the classes I need. Make sure to get into AVID, I think its the best class in BVM.

Posted April 11, 2007

I'm disappointed with the counseling center. There is not enough information for parents. Counselors do not have a web page nor even email adresses to contact them. There is little after school activities and what is the counseling program at the school, besides scheduling?

Posted November 16, 2006

bvm is a great school . it has great teachers,even though one as a prior student wouldn't have thought so then, but once you look back you relize what great knowledge you have embraces and find your self thanking them for every bit of information they put into that brain of yours. the teachers care for the students and push them to do their best! they help them when it is needed and most importantly teach them self disaplinary skills that will help them in the future , and that i ahve learend from self experiance. their job as teachers is too well prepare you for you futer and at bonita vista middle school they do so and well. yes there are some teachers that you will find unfair to your child but other then that bvm is a great and safe place!

Posted April 5, 2006

There are not enough extracurricular activities, to involve students, to keep them out of trouble. Our students need to stay focused, on their studies, and not have social turmoils. To me it seems the teachers don't really care.

Posted January 5, 2006

Great school, but a bit over crowded. Student to teacher ratio is not the best.
—Submitted by a former student

This school's

-19

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

475 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

421 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

300 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

473 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a
History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

506 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

466 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students78%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)53%
Parent education - college graduate72%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate83%
Parent education - declined to state66%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students24%

School start time
  • 8:05 am
School end time
  • 3:10 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school