No rating

St. John''s Episcopal School

Private | PK-8 | 300 students

Our school is best known for our small class size

Living in Chula Vista

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $278,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted October 28, 2013

I am an ex alumni of St. John's School. I was there from 1983 to 1995. For me St. John's is a well rounded school. It gave an unbelievable foundation to strive not only in the academic arena, but combined social and values that have helped me well beyond my days at St.John's. 95% of my friends are the same as in St.Johns, this is due to the fact that they promote unity and helping others therefore creating a strong bond with the students. It also has a great advantage of being totally bi-national. St.Johns has a huge latino community and this helps us that are from a hispanic background to keep our roots while branching out in the American Culture. Now I have the privilege to give the wonderful experience I had to my son. The welcomed I received was amazing, the ability to tailor to the needs of each child, and the ability to help each child strive has been wonderful. My son very happy as I am that he is there. Also next year St. John's will be implementing a Bi-Lingual program that will only be another tool to help its students. I would recommend St. John's to any parent looking for a school that will enable personal growth, academic greatness and values.

Posted October 16, 2013

St. John's is a wonderful school. It has a wonderful community that encourages children to be well rounded individuals. My daughter has been here since preschool and is now in third grade. She is doing great academically and socially. The teachers as well as the staff are extremely approachable .

Posted April 17, 2013

I graduated from St. John's Episcopal school with the class of 2010. I had a wonderful year with my classmates, and all of the teachers helped me prepare for high school. I only attended St. John's for one year, which was 8th grade and I trully enjoyed every class and all of the teachers.

Posted March 12, 2013

I have two daughters at St. John's and they love it. They both finished kindergarten reading, writing, adding and subtracting. They are both doing wonderful academically and socially. They enjoy school tremendously and have a great attitude towards learning and are constantly challenging themselves. The school is always trying to improve, adding new programs and technology. Our current principal is great and has done wonders in his short time. Father Marshall is also excellent, and we are lucky to have both of them. All of my teachers have been excellent. Both of my daughters are well above average academically and enjoy their school tremendously. My experience has been wonderful and I would recommend this school to any parent.

Posted January 14, 2013

My two daughters have been attending Saint John's since preschool; I cannot imagine a place more ideal for them in terms of the level of education and inculcation of values they are receiving. Not only is Saint John's a place where my children feel valued, loved and safe, but as a parent I have always felt unconditional support from every staff member I've come in contact with. I highly recommend Saint John's Episcopal School to parents who would like to see their children thrive in many aspects and want to see them grow into happy, productive and responsible citizens.

Posted December 11, 2012

Some of the things that I value the most of St. John's is it's wonderful community. Father Marshall makes chapel dynamic and engaging for both kids and adults. Fifth graders are learning to play saxophone and other instruments. We have a very gifted music teacher. St. John's is constantly improving and adding new programs to the curriculum and technology in the classrooms. My kids are very happy and so am I. Small classes are a big plus, in addition to our wonderful teachers.

Posted December 11, 2012

Absolutely the best years in my children's life. Not only the happiest moments but excellent learning and teaching, forever grateful. All three of my children are excelling in highschool, they are well taught and also very well discplined. Consider St John's for your children, it will be very fulfilling.

Posted December 11, 2012

Great community! This school is continuously looking for ways to better itself, to provide growth to its students in 3 basic areas: spiritually, academically and socially. As a Christ-centered school, the students learn about God's great love. Also, St. John's is always looking for ways to iare mprove its academics. And, this school sems like a big family! My three sons and us,are very happy to be part of this school since 2005!

Posted December 10, 2012

My two sons are extremely happy at St. John's, not only they are learning, they are having fun at the same time. They are part of this amazing community, actually we all are a big family with similar goals and interests. We really appreciate what our new HOS is doing for our children's education. Parents, teachers and students are part of the same effort. We support and care about each other. There's no other place like St. John's.

Posted October 28, 2012

I just graduated from St. John's on 2012 and I can tell you how bad it was. The teachers there are good for little kids but they treat everyone in middle school as if they were still in elementary and the accademics were horrible. Teachers are unable to control students and when control is lost they start to scream and punish everyone, even if you didn't do anything. They fail to teach moral values as they claim to do and they are extremely harsh. They have a horrible religion and physical education program. The teachers constantly get sidetracked and begin to talk about their personal life. The math program has a horrible result because the teacher simply assigns too much homework, (about 60 problems per night), and does not explain the students what to do. Everyone just went to that school because all of their friends were there and they got an outside tutor.

Posted September 22, 2012

Lack of everything. I just graduated from St, John's and I'm having trouble in everything, especially science. They have horrible academic standards most teachers are bad, there's no leadership and the school is going bankrupt. There;s absolutely no control of the kids. When kids behave bad, teachers stop the entire class and everyone stays behind. They cannot educate their children whatsoever. I wouldnt recommend placing your child in this school unless youre ready to have a child who says SO many bad words and has a disgusting vocabulary and is raised with the wrong moral values. I just visited the school, and as i watched the teachers give class, they motivated me to write this. they waste their money buying about 150 beakers when they only need 25 at most. you can only wonder why the school is bankrupt. The teachers are bad, thus the student are raised bad and you get the minimal benefit for attending such an expensive and "elite" school worth 6000 dollars. i recommend you and beg you not to even think about going to this school.

Posted April 4, 2011

An elite school, with subpar education. Trying to get their administrative act together. Sadly forgetting the academics and students in the process. Regretfully not interested in parents suggestions, principal has good intentions in making the school profitable but not necessarily an excellent school academically , lacks rapport.

Posted January 27, 2011

Very strong elementary program with a weak middle school. This school's administration is quite weak in rapport, communication, organization, efficiency, and lacks the warmth that once existed. You can see the office's weaknesses reflected in the teachers' frustration (which eventually trickles down to my daughter's education). That's why after 6 years of St. John's, we'll be in the market for another school at the conclusion of this year.

Posted February 10, 2010

Bad School don't consider this school lack of discipline and academic are below standards.

Posted October 29, 2009

Bad quality in academics and good teachers leave because of their poor quality in leadership. Some are not even qualified and lack credentials. Make sure you check before considering this school.

Posted September 14, 2009

Great family values. The teachers take the time to work one on one with students. Many of the families have many children going to this school. I would give it an A+ in giving your child a head start to success. We have a first grader and a 2nd year preschooler this year.

Posted May 4, 2006

Quality of academics is subpar. The teachers leave a lot to be desired. Fundamentals are lost because the school does not keep quality teachers. Almost every talented or bright student leaves st johns by 6th or 7th grade. The school is lousy because of the lack of quality leadership
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 15, 2005

Great school with a sound academic program, family values, high Parent involvement and support. We have a tightly knit parent-teacher-student school, where every one shares the belief that together we can make better citizens an a better place to live, work and play. The teachers give their 110% to our children, and in return we give them the trust & support of having our kids cooperate in any project, program or effort.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Language learning

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Dr. Phillip Hadley
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES
Fax number
  • (619) 422-6946

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
  • Supports home-based learning
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council