No rating

Pilgrim Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 130 students

Our school is best known for building up students academically and socially.

Living in Chula Vista

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $278,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted June 23, 2014

After going the public school route for several years, we decided it was time to put our kids through private school; we couldn't be happier with our decision! Our kids have thoroughly enjoyed their time at Pilgrim. The teachers/school staff/church staff are amazing and are always ready to answer any questions we may have. When it comes to the curriculum and overall education the kids are receiving, it is second to none! Not only are they receiving a more well-rounded education, while in a smaller class size, but they have also learned an appreciation for the Christian faith and what it means to be a Child of God. The entire staff always treats each student as an individual...not as a number or test score! In addition, the school has a wonderful before/after-school care program, and summer camp. which really helps the working family!! While it's always a bummer to see some of the previous staff members (voluntarily) move on to other jobs, I have no doubt that God has a plan for this school and ALL the replacements for the departed staff members will exceed expectations! My kids are definitely looking forward to their next several years at Pilgrim Lutheran School!

Posted January 10, 2014

Making the choice to send our daughters to Pilgrim was easy. We looked at other schools in the area and kept being drawn back in to the family environment and Christian education. Being a member of the Pilgrim community feels like home! These teachers and staff love and care for my kids as if they were their own, and the quality of education is second to none. I am a HUGE fan of Mrs. Feldmann and the enthusiasm and drive she has brought to the school. I'm proud to see my daughters looking up to and being mentored by such amazing people!

Posted October 25, 2013

My child attends Pilgrim and is excelling tremendously, especially in math. Mrs. Barrett is an amazing math teaching. She is very patient with the students and definitely knows what she's doing. My child needed extra tutoring so Mrs. Barrett tutors my child twice a week for free! The education offered at Pilgrim is academically challenging but the teachers there are willing to do what they can to help their students reach the high academic standards. As a parent, I cannot ask for a better school!

Posted October 18, 2013

I love Pilgrim. The teachers grade all student work and return it right away... lots of feedback, lots of communication. The homework is manageable and the teachers are willing to work with different academic and needs of their students. The balance between projects and regular assigned work is perfect, not overbearing. Chapel on Wednesdays is so much fun and is very uplifting and lively!! I LOVE PILGRIM!!! Also, Mrs. Feldman, the principal is a great mentor to the students... she is youthful yet experienced and very warm and friendly.

Posted October 1, 2013

I love Pilgrim! I have two children that attend this school and I couldn't be happier. I love the family feel the staff and faculty provide to my children. My kids are not just numbers in overpopulated classrooms. They are individuals in small classes where teachers have the time to recognize their individual needs and make extra effort to help them succeed. My children are both quite a bit ahead in school compared to the kids in our neighborhood their age. I also love the moral standard Pilgrim sets. It is a big weight off my shoulders each day knowing that they will be required to be polite and responsible gentleman at school as well as home. I would highly recommend Pilgrim to any family looking for a high standard education facility.

Posted October 26, 2012

As a parent whose 8th grader and 6th grader have been attending Pilgrim since pre-school, I highly recommend it. With small class sizes, they get individual attention consistently. The after school care knows every student. I feel secure knowing they are safe and cared for at all times. The before and after school child care and monthly school tuition for this private school with very small class sizes is less expensive (!!!) than public school and YMCA sponsored child care. Really a no-brainer. Technology includes iPads, and curriculum is challenging.

Posted June 21, 2012

This is the place where friends become family. My son has attended this preschool for a few months now. The staff is amazing! Ms. Gina does and awesome job of you keeping you updated with your child's activities thru email and facebook. The entire staff seems to know every child, even if he or she isn't in their class! Prayers and manners are taught which is a bonus! It's a warm and fuzzy feeling when you walk into this preschool. My son loves it, and so do we :) We highly recommend this preschool to our friends

Posted June 18, 2012

As a military parent, we have utilized several schools to help our children utilize their full potential. Pilgrim Lutheran, by far, mirrors the expectations that we desire for our children so much that we have recommended our extended family and friends to this school. To date, we have seven children from our family and extended family in attendance. The staff is very knowledgable and are very engaging with the students. My wife has built personal friendships with some of the teachers as well. Dropping/picking up the kids is great because the teachers take the time to talk about any questions you may have about your child second to their willingness to respond to your emails or phone calls. We love this place and would recommend it to anyone who is considering in taking their child(ren) to this school.

Posted June 15, 2012

I will have my son attend Pilgrim Lutheran for as long as I can. He has thrived and learned so much just in the last year. He wants to go to school everyday. Your child is not just a number but a person that is cared for by not just the teacher but all the staff. I checked around a number of schools in the Chula Vista area. What was important was the price and how long they were open. You cannot beat the price compared to the surrounding preschools available. They are also open until 6pm which was a bonus and made my decision immediatly.

Posted June 15, 2012

As a mother of 2...Sending both of them to Pilgrim Lutheran has been the best choice my husband and I have made for them. The staff members are highly qualified and extremely dedicated to providing a warm, stimulating and fun-filled environment for kids. Each staff member strives to create a family environment, making each child and their family member feel involved and accommodated. Pilgrim Lutheran Preschool is a wonderful highly recommended facility for all preschoolers.

Posted May 2, 2012

This school is fantastic. The teachers are incredibly focused on each individual student. The class sizes are small and students are graduating the 8th grade with post-high school test scores. Overall, this is a wonderful place to bring your child and watch them grow!

Posted October 26, 2010

Fantastic students and a great staff.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 26, 2010

Both of my children attended Pilgrim, 10 years apart. They both received a quality education in a Christian environment. Weekly chapel services and daily devotion time helped strengthen their growth in the Christian faith. The teachers there hold the students accountable and teach responsibility along with the curriculum. My youngest went to Pilgrim from preschool and graduated from the 8th grade 4 years ago.

Posted October 7, 2010

I attended this school from preschool to 8th grade. There is no better environment for your children. The staff really care about each student and offer much more than a great education.

Posted October 7, 2010

I can't say enough about Pilgrim Lutheran School! I know my children are getting a top notch education that not only includes academics but they are also learning to be strong leaders and stewards! It's an education that is priceless!

Posted October 6, 2010

I'm a teacher in Children's Church at Pilgrim Lutheran, so I've had an opportunity to work with some of the kids that attend the school. I must say, they are the sweetest, kindest, and brightest kids I've ever known. I wish I could have had some of these kids to hang out with when I was a kid, maybe my childhood would have been the better for it.

Posted October 4, 2010

I love the dedication of ALL the staff, the Christian enviroment and the great education my boys have and are receiving.

Posted October 4, 2010

It is a great school with excellent teachers and students-

Posted October 3, 2010

Pilgrim Lutheran is like a small family. I attended this same school as I child and am so grateful I am able to send my children there. They provide a wonderful academic and christian education with teachers who really care about our children. Thank You Pilgrim!

Posted October 2, 2010

Pilgrim Lutheran is a fantastic school. I like the perfect balance of religious and educational curriculums that are being taught to my children. My daughter is excelling well and has been placed in advanced classes to further assist and encourage her education, My son requires a little extra educational assistance but with the aid of the local school district and with the fantastic cooperation of Pilgrim s teachers, he is doing well and is moving right along as expected. Pilgrim Lutheran is a great choice for our family!

Asian or Pacific Islander 8% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Bonita Optomist (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Jahnai Feldmann
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Standards-based
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Girl scouts
  • Science club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

9 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
130
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
150
Students typically come from these schools
Pilgrim Lutheran Preschool

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Lutheran High San Diego