No rating

Our Lady of the Assumption School

Private | PK-8 | 420 students

Living in Claremont

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $420,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,490.

Posted July 6, 2014

We are the parents of four children who have all attended Our Lady of the Assumption. Three of our children have graduated while the youngest still attends OLA. All three were exceptionally prepared for high school, especially in math. Upon graduation from high school, each of them were accepted to the college of their choice and all received academic scholarships.. The excellent foundation they all received in academics, spirituality, self-worth, community service, and discipline from OLA has been evident throughout their young lives. We have always felt very welcome at OLA and have found that OUR active participation is/was vital and important to our children's and our positive experience at OLA. Each of them have participated in the after school sports/cheerleading programs which have also added to their confidence/self esteem. The teaching staff and administration is very strong, competent, and welcoming, especially if we ever have concerns. We, as parents, approach our children's' schools and education with a positive attitude, show our support of the teachers, staff, and programs, and encourage the same academic discipline at home as the teachers require at school.

Posted May 25, 2014

Junior High is a complete waste of time and this school wastes a lot of academic time on silly junior high play and just nonsense. The teachers are lazy and ill-prepared. So many rude and unhappy teachers... They take their unhappiness out on our children.Principal is not a leader and fails miserably if there are problems. We are still trying to figure out WHY there is a vice principal. She seems to walk around doing nothing. This school has no leadership and teachers do whatever they want. DO NOT waste your time!

Posted May 18, 2014

Our daughter is about to complete her first year at OLA, and my husband and I have decided to re-enroll her for the coming year. We live in Claremont and so have access to some good public elementary schools, so I think it could be useful to explain why we have chosen to pay to attend OLA instead. First, the two big positives. Academics are terrific: my wife and I have high learning expectations for our daughter, and so does OLA. And we enjoy being part of a religious community. My wife was raised Catholic, but I'm Presbyterian, and our family isn't very religious. OLA has no problem with any of that, even though they are a Catholic school, they definitely welcome people of all stripes, and the values they teach are universal and important. Now the negatives: the school might do a better job of husbanding their money and resources, including parents. While I think OLA is better for my daughter than Sycamore,I also think it isn't living up to everything it could be.If you are looking for good academics in a school that doesn't shy away from teaching the value of Christian love and charity, I would suggest considering OLA.

Posted March 19, 2014

OLA is a school that strives to continue to make positive changes to the school community. They have a strong academic program and are continually striving to stay competitive. This shows in the very strong test scores, well above state averages. The school is additionally interested in educating the whole child, not just academics. We are very happy here at this school and look forward to the years that we have left. The Principal and Vice Principal are experienced, approachable, and very helpful. Written by an OLA parent

Posted March 18, 2014

unqualified, inconsistent and unhappy teachers=miserable parents and students! Not worth your money! the same 10 parents attend the PFA every month. Pretty bad!

Posted February 20, 2014

first of all i have to say its a good place and you feel comfortable when you first walk in. the teachers for kinder where my daughter in right now is friendly and caring. its just they are looked too busy or i can say can't handle all 20 kids in the class...as a teacher you have to see if one or two of the students in the class is wayyyy ahead than the others pleease do something to motivate them, give them extra work or the works that as the same level as the kids brain. if you keep on doing this, the child is who supposedly be the number one in the class, is gonna be the laziest ever! i hope any other teacher or parents who read this will understand my feelings. the school and teachers are great but education is lack of sensitivities towards childrens needs!

Posted January 3, 2014

If only the parents and teachers were TRUTHFUL in their own reviews of this school, people would not stop by or even waste their money here. The last 3 reviews are obviously by teachers that have their kids here or by someone worried about the astounding # of students that have left in last 5 yrs. and the diminishing enrollment. Not up to par with excellent public schools and teachers are antiquated in their teaching methods.Not at all warm and inviting school........

Posted December 18, 2013

The moment you walk on campus you feel a sense of warmth and community. I love walking down the hallways. The teachers do so many creative art lessons and always display the kids work. Strong academics, warm staff, and faith based. I'm very happy about my experience with OLA.

Posted September 12, 2012

I have two children, a son and a daughter, who have attended OLA since kinder. Both have had amazing experiences - the teachers are focused and caring, the instructional program is rigorous, the leadership on campus and within the parish is dynamic and engaging. And the results are tangible. OLA provided my son, who is now in high school, with a very strong academic foundation, including study skills and test-taking skills, that have made him extremely competitive at Damien HS. But in addition to having a rigorous academic program, OLA also does an exemplary job of teaching values, respect and community spirit. For instance, in addition to the standard local philanthropies, the holiday parties always have a community service aspect, allowing students to appreciate the beauty of giving back to the community. OLA also hits the extracurriculars - sports, student government, clubs, art, music and a mentor system that provides opportunities for peer support both academically (tutoring) and through the K-2/7-8 buddy program, wherein the jr high kids are able to buddy up with the youngers. And they have daycare! I continue to recommend OLA to friends and family!

Posted September 6, 2012

Um, I wonder if any of the last several reviews were written by spammers who really have never stepped foot in OLA.... My daughter has just started her third year at OLA, and we couldn't be happier. Both my husband and I attended Ivy League colleges, he is a professor, and we care a lot about education. State test scores prove that the quality of basic education (reading and math) at OLA is just as good as that at Claremont's best public elementaries, namely, Condit, Chapparal and Sycamore. In addition, OLA continues to offer programs that the public elementaries have eliminated or severely restricted, such as art, music and physical education. And OLA explicitly teaches something that no public school is even allowed to teach, namely, values of love, respect and responsibility. The commenter below who criticized our pastor is clearly a spammer because Father Charles is a dynamic and hilarious former news TV news reporter (before he became a priest) who is beloved by all. Better than public elementaries and much cheaper than Foothill Country Day School, OLA welcomes students of all faiths (and no faith). If you care about education and live in the Claremont area, give it a look.

Posted September 4, 2011

We did not have a pleasant experience at this school and I took my child out in 2009. From what I have heard, things have gotten worse. The principal is extremely aloof and unfriendly with parents. I passed her several times at school and even while helping out in the book fair and she never looked at me, smiled, introduced herself, etc. You can tell some of the teachers are unhappy with her but they cannot say anything about it. As a result, some have left. Morale is low with the staff and there were several events when there were hardly teachers in attendance. Parents had to hold down the fort and tried their best but it is not the same as school staff presence. The curriculum is NOT aligned to the California Content standards. I don't care what they say...it is not. Lots of busy worksheet work and low level thinking practice. The school is not preparing your children for their futures. Very settled in old ways that are not the worlds our kids are going into. The false sense of security parents feel in a "small Catholic environment" is what keeps this school going. Needs a major overhaul and it should start with the principal

Posted June 1, 2011

There are many great teachers at this school...Ortiz, Cortez,Lawrence, Garvey, Myers, and Coleman to name more than a few...but sadly the ones who are rude, dismissive, and punitive have shaped my experience at this school. Catholic? Christian? Laughable!!!! I include the current Pastor and the previous Pastor as strikes against this place they are both..rude...arrogant..and unpleasant.

Posted May 7, 2010

If there is a problem with a teacher and your child, the principle is extremely biased towards the teachers. You are expected to work it out or leave the school. Although there are 2 classes per grade, the principle will not put your child in the other class if there is a problem. Of course there are going to be problems with students and teachers just like at any other school. Some teachers are not very good at this school. There is also no confidentiality if there is a problem. The front office staff is not friendly or professional.

Posted February 20, 2007

I have just had my son complete 9 years here (K-8) and my youngest started kindergarten this year. My son, although not academically motivated, was definitely guided through his education path and consistently encouraged and coached to excel. Certainly, his turning point to 'loving school' came in 5th grade with Mr Ortiz, an amazing teacher that boys can relate to if they haven't already found their school 'calling.' I am pleased to announce that in going to high school, my son picked a school that would provide him with additional challenges and push him to succeed rather than allow him to take the easy route, a decision I think he would have made otherwise had he come through a lesser school. Parent involvement is required but warranted as students internalize their parents' participation and recognize this as interest and support. We have an accomplished musician/songwriter for music and faculty is altogether outstanding.

Posted February 8, 2005

The classroom size is too big. It has about 32 students per class compare to 20 students in most other private and public school.

Posted September 9, 2003

My daughter has been attending this school for five years and enjoys the teachers, students, and school. I feel confident when I drop her off in the morning that this is a safe environment for her. Academically, she is excelling. She is also involved in after school sports. I am very happy being a part of this school and she is too.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:55 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Bernadette Boyle
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Extracurricular: Intro to Spanish

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Auditorium
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Performance stage
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

Media arts

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom