K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I honestly haven't seen bullying at this school. There is no violence or crime at this school. Different cultures are valued.

Supports LD students: Disagree

They say they do and they try. The younger, newer teachers hired in the last couple of years don't seem to be as capable of identifying differences and they don't seem to have an arsenal of things to try, probably due to inexperience. The small teacher-student ratio is useful, but I wish they had more support resources like learning specialists or psychologists that could help parents understand where their child is on the spectrum. Maybe they should have hired more of that instead of a new art teacher.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

Develops character: Strongly agree

The kids in this school are great. I am proud to have them as my children's friends.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are very effective and the ratio is low. The only think I would suggest is that they give them more tools for kids who are struggling. There seem to be special ed kids that aren't getting what they need sometimes.

Amount of homework: Disagree

It either seems like too much or not enough, depending on the teacher. They just announced that the lower grades will have no more homework. I wish they would have applied a decision like this to all the grades if they thought that was the right approach.

This school is easily the most respected elementary school in the area. My child is in the middle grades here. I appreciate that he/she is known and loved by the teachers and the staff. I never worry for is/her safety. The facilities are beautiful -- what other elementary school do you know that has a swimming pool and koi ponds and such a park-like setting? The activities outside the classroom, such as after school classes and leadership opportunities are better than any other school I've seen. These are the reasons we chose Foothill. I have seen no evidence of the bullying or elitist behavior that others have mentioned here. Do I wish my child was challenged more in the classroom? Sometimes. I believe that the curriculum has taken a turn on the light side under this administration, but I still think the school is worthy of the sacrifices we make to have our child here.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some are good. Some are not. I expected a better ratio of caring, compassionate, creative teachers who have a passion for the things they teach.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Foothill's homework assignments are often "busy work". I see a lot of time spent on homework but very little new learning going on. I wish Foothill had an institutional culture that fosters homework and assignments that inspire learning and intellectual curiosity. I would love it if my kid wanted to talk about WHY the world is the way it is, but they ask for a lot of answers to questions instead.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Sorry, but no, this is not Foothill's strength. Foothill is more about being a pipeline to admission at Webb than it is about developing the goodness in kids. I'm actually struggling to think of ANY concrete examples of things that the school has done to foster honesty, integrity, or fairness.

Last modified Foothill Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades K-8