Bad
Good

Hi, overall the teachers are a mix in their teaching strategies. As a parent you have to be involved, shortage of subs, assistants, larger classes, and the influx of other children from a different district add to many of the shortage problems and teaching issues. Yard supervision is a minimum and I recommend to try to be aware and an advocate for your child. As for the community some people feel this is high school, but in reality the rest of us adults can see past the petty behavior and focus more on what's important teaching your children that they are all children in a learning environment and this is just a stepping stone to greater things.

The housing market is cheaper in Clayton, but be warned, it comes with a price if you have kids. We now understand why so many of our friends send their children to private schools in the area.

My daughter attended Mt. Diablo Elementary from 2nd grade through 5th grade. I feel like there are some teachers that are significantly better than others. Many of the parents there are VERY involved and very vocal. Consequently, their children were assigned to better teachers. My daughter, however, did very well here and is now getting straight A's in middle school. I feel she was well prepared and made a nice easy transition to Diablo View regardless of the teacher situation. I personally have not seen the bullying that other parents have referred to, but as with any school, I suspect some of these issues are kept between the parents of the children involved.

Teachers below average and there is a bullying problem. Children are poorly supervised. Don't see how this school is rated a ten?

My children have attended this school for almost 2 yrs. We are a military family, so we have experienced different public schools for the last 6 yrs. My children are presently in 3rd and 5th grade. Mrs. Keanan, the principle started at the school the same year that we did. I am very impressed with her, and her leadership. One of the first things she did was take out the sugary milk out of the cafeteria. A small change to make things healthier! . As far as academics, I think this school is average. California is in crisis when it comes to the money spent on education. This school district has no money, and the schools are suffering. If it not for the parent involvement, and constant fund raising, this school would be in real trouble. The class sizes are way too high. My kids classes have 32 students. Impossible for the teacher to focus on any individual student. Luckily, my kids do not have any problems with academics, so they have done alright. My fear is that when we leave here to go our next assignment, they will behind their peers. So, all in all, this is a "better than average" public school for California, but is that really saying much?

Looking to move in the area. Any new reviews would be great! How is the bullying issue? Thank you

We have high quality teachers, who care very deeply about educating their students and are willing to work hard to ensure their high standards are achieved. We have amazing parent involvement and willingness to donate time and money to help our school. We are getting a new principal, so I'm not sure how to rate that, but I hope we will get a good leader and communicator.

The teachers here are great! My kids score in the top 1% nationally and this has much to do with the high quality of education provided.

My child had substantial bullying issues at this school, but perhaps that is because it was a school-wide problem, there is virtually no diversity of races nor tolerance of what little diversity there is. I agree that parent involvement is high and that is nice but it borders on 'chummy' which seems less academic and more about popularity, which is seems of great importance to this small, even sheltered town. The culture of the school is lacking an identity in the worst way. My child is a high performing student and has only been recently challenged after years at this school...we personally cannot wait to leave this school.

The parental involvement here and the PFC is the best. With them this school is one of the best in the district - actually, it is the best.

Last modified Mt. Diablo Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.