Quail Lake Environmental Charter School

Charter | K-8 | 589 students

Posted Monday, September 29, 2014

This school is a school of white kids. You have to be blonde and white skinned to go here or you stand out. Their football is mediocre. My boys are leaving next year to attend Clovis Elementary where they can play football and be accepted.

Posted September 15, 2014

Quail Lake is one of the best school, very friendly staff and teachers, the class size is small, they have high technology gadgets such as Ipad and laptop for students. My kids are doing well and maintained good grades.

Posted March 24, 2014

At Quail Lakes at first we struggled. Struggled in adjustment from change. It's been a good change for our family. The teachers are great, staff friendly, principal always ready to greet everyone. How many principals at a school stand in a parking lot saying hi / bye to families? Small school, lots of activity, parent involvement. Everyone wants the best for kids. I realize a lot of comments say they stress test scores and tests. Honestly, they really don't. They have projects and fun activities to go with what they learn. Tests come like any other school at the end of review. Sanger Unified is small so they have more flexibility to do more. Sanger Unified has always been a good district. Fresno Unified and Clovis Unified are neck to neck in API scores depends on where you go, but lack funding as we came from those districts and didn't go on 1 field trip. It's a unique school with something always going on. They encourage a bright student to continue. AR reading is great! If you have a good reader you can get that done early, not worry and focus on other tasks or do something fun as you prefer. In the Central Valley QL is neck to neck in test scores with Manchester GATE.

Posted March 10, 2014

I attended Quail Lake from the time that I was in 2nd grade to my graduation from 8th. I wasn't a perfect athelete. I wasn't a perfect student. I wasn't the cool kid. I wasn't normal. I suppose in retrospect that this means I had no place in Quail Lake. The students sure thought that. Students at Quail Lake are truly harsh. They will ridicule you if you have the slightest defect. The teachers will more often than not encourage this ridicule. The school seems to place no value on true education. They simply ensure that enough students learn that they can keep their precious test scores up. Quail Lake really isn't a very good school. The only way you will fit in is if you are blond, blue eyed, white, perfection in all ways. Oh, and you need to have helicopter parents.

Posted August 3, 2013

I have watch my Grandchildren grow and learn so so so Much! The school is wonderful and the parents are so in tune what is going on.... Love it... My gradchildren just love it!!!!

Posted April 16, 2012

I am an 8th grade student at Quail Lake Environmental Charter School. I have been at QL all my life, and -- sadly -- this is my last year at the school I have grown to love. I began in kindergarten as an ADHD student. I was loud and obnoxious. I was a very hards student, and, at another school, I would have been labeled as a disabled learner. I was not labeled that at QL. Just the opposite. I was given work that would hold my attention and get me to grasp the concepts that I was suppose to be learning. From kindergarten up, I have been improving. This school has given me the tools to learn at the advanced level and I would have it no other way. I go to this school for academics, not for friends. I am not saying I don't have friends either. If I was asked to rate my school those stars above this review would not even cut it. This school is a blessing for any child that has exceptional gifts and for any child that is ambitious but needs help reaching goals. I would recommend this school to someone who plans to send their child to a #1 college. I esteem my school and am proud to go there. To be a Falcon is to be a privilage.

Posted April 24, 2010

Devoted, caring teachers, administrators who prioritize kids' needs, and an overall district-wide devotion to quality education make this K-8 school the best in the area in my opinion.

Posted March 30, 2010

The schools API scores are great, what you need to realize is that the school wants only the high achievers. My child was at Quail Lake from 1st until 7th grade and we struggled every year with learning issues. When I would ask for help and/or perhaps testing to determine if there was a learning disability we were told that our child was 'average', that they could not tell us how to go about having her tested and that our child would not qualify anyway. Although we liked the size of the school, the quality of education is questionable. It is a school padded with 'high functioning' kids and every year several leave who just can't get the extra help they need! Note: Invervention classes are held at the gradeschool level very close to STAR testing so that scores can be as high as possible for API.

Posted March 22, 2010

My son's been at Quail Lake since kinder and is now in Third grade. We both absolutely love it!! The teachers give the students so much 1 on 1 time, small class sizes, great kids and parents...We wouldnt have it any other way!!!

Posted October 21, 2009

My daughter started kindergarten at Quail lake this year. I am so impressed with this school. The prinicipal is highly available and I constantly see him walking around the school and talking to the kids, in their classes, and on campus. He is very friendly and approachable. I love the calls we receive reminding us about early release days, and other important information. The parent involvement in this school is fantastic!! I have never seen so many parents willing to volunteer in their child's class or help the school in so many ways. My daughter's teacher is excellent. She is so welcoming and friendly with the kids. You can tell that she really loves her job and wants to be at school with them. The things that my daughter has learned in such a short period of time is just amazing! We are so happy with this school!

Posted September 13, 2009

Great school. Excellent staff and an amazing community. I have 3 children that attend this school and all of them have been challenged to excell.

Posted September 12, 2009

Quail Lake has been a perfect fit for our family. Even though I teach there, all three of my children attend and are doing great. One of the neatest thing about our school is most definitely the parent involvement and the close knit community. The staff is very cohesive. I believe the middle school program to be an excellent one. In fact, feedback from parents in the past have often stated how relieved they were that QL jr. high teachers prepared them so well for high school. Either way, all of the teachers are willing to work with parents so that the experience is positive. I encourage anyone who is sitting down with 4 hours of homework at any school to talk to the child's teachers!

Posted September 11, 2009

This is was a great school for K-6. 7th and 8th grade is a different story. The homework is extremely excessive. My son works on his homework & studying for a minimum of 4 hours a night! This is too much pressure! Both my kids now hate school. The latest principal doesn't return phone calls or respond to e-mails. The students and parents at Quail Lake are great and my kids have made wonderful friends.

Posted April 6, 2009

its not good on training students for the state test and not giving them more recess time like fancher creek and freedom they get 1 hour or more .

Posted September 14, 2008

The teachers and staff are great! My son loves school because the staff makes learning fun!

Posted September 10, 2008

I'm a parent who finally has all my children at Quail Lake and I couldn't be happier. This school sets the standard for the region and district and has the BEST parental involvement that I have EVER seen. The teachers are all committed to the success of the students' academic careers, and the parents are equally as involved with their students' academic success... Which is probably why we are seeing such wonderful test results. They care about the kids, their safety, their academic success, and the kids seem to really love it too. I can't say enough about how wonderful this school is, and I do not take their enrollment and attendance at the school for granted.

Posted May 27, 2008

This is a very good school. The principal is very forthright and honest and willing to tackle tough problems and complaining parents. This is a school of choice and I love that uniforms are required. They are not as strict on uniforms as the private school we came from so we feel like we have a lot of freedom. Teachers, staff, and parents are great to work with. The campus is BEAUTIFUL and the kids really take pride in it.

Posted March 13, 2008

I am a student & i think the academics and stuff are really good, compared to other sanger schools. However, i think the school is way too small to be k-8; it is quickly overcrowding. Being an older student at the school and personally thinking the dress code is unfair, would not recommend this school for 7-8 grade kids. Anyone else younger than that should be grateful to be at the school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 26, 2008

My son has attend at Quail lake since Kindergarten . The teachers and principal are Great! I can't keep my son on track without them. Its good to see all the parents getting involve. It makes me want to volunteer more , My son is in 2nd grade and reads at a 4th grade level and he can stops reading

Posted August 30, 2006

My son attended the excellent Kindergarten program last year and is back for First Grade this year. This school is of the highest quality both in academics and social skills. The teachers really care for our children; and even though we lost a terrific principal over the Summer, we look forward what our new principal has to offer our school. My son has thrived at this school and he loves it.

This school's
API score

948

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students82%

Fluent-English proficient and English only94%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)100%
Parent education - college graduate94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

• Amy Williams
Fax number
  • (559) 292-1276

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Environmental