Buchanan High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Clovis

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $192,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,240.

Posted March 11, 2010

Great School. Great teachers. Cleanest school in the district and most respect school also.

Posted March 11, 2010

I am graduating this year from Buchanan. I had a wonderful time here and i will truly miss it. This school really stands above all the rest in the area. I am going to be really proud to say i graduated from BHS. No other school could make you feel like that! The teachers here really care about the students. Students come first here. People complain about how stuck up we are but in reality we are proud of our clean school, and all means we should be! Parents should never hesitate about send their child here because do your math, compare all the Clovis and Fresno schools, we surpass them! I am proud to say i attend Buchanan High School!

Posted January 26, 2010

My Son graduated from Buchanan, and had a wonderful experience. His coaches were beyond what you could ask for. The education is great, as you can tell by their test scores compared to other districts. We thought about moving to the bay area, but when we checked out and did our research on the high schools there for my daughter, there was no school in the whole city that could have compared to Buchanan's academics or athleticism.

Posted October 17, 2009

Last year, I went to a high school in Fresno. This was the kind of school where you would walk into the bathroom and eight times out of ten it would be filled with smoke from weed. This year, I am attending Buchanan and I definitely say that this school deserves a ten. Many people seem to think that Buchanan is full of rich, snooty kids who are racist and hateful. While Buchanan does lie in the richer parts of Clovis, the student body here is far more respectful than I have ever seen. Not once have I seen someone bullied, teased, nor have I ever seen someone who felt or looked out of place. The teachers and staff also do make much more of an effort to teach than in Fresno. Many people seem to have the wrong impression about Buchanan, but I assure you that it is the best.

Posted September 18, 2009

Buchanan is a quality school offering many opportunities in academics, performing arts, and sports.

Posted December 30, 2008

Buchanan is a great school. I moved to clovis and my grades went from C- in Fresno to B+ and A's in Clovis. Our academics are great, but our athletics are better. Sure, we are known for our athleticism, but our academics are amazing. The staff pushes you to succeed and are very encouraging. Buchanan High is the best school I could ever ask to attend. Go Bears! Bear Nation!

Posted November 8, 2008

Even though some of the qualities of this school are not as amazing as you think, it is truly an amazing and colorful school. You will always have problems with the people and teachers but, it really depends on the kind of person you are. It's really the students choice if they want to change things or not. can'tccan't can't be theirselves

Posted October 30, 2008

AP classes are the only aspect of this school that I truly applaud, and if it were not for the immature student body I may have given the school a better rating. Cheating is extremely prevalent, and perhaps this is so at other schools, but I do not tolerate it. The students may be involved in several community and school activities but give a strong impression that they are doing so only for the sake of image and getting into a good college. Much of the staff is extremely disrespectful to students. When I expressed concern for a serious issue, it was nodded off as having little importance and was never fully addressed. I have felt as though I am learning for the sake of achieving highly on tests, and while I admit that I have been able to do so consistently, I feel as though I have earned little knowledge.

Posted September 18, 2008

I am pleased with the education my gradson is receiving. I do question the revelance of some that is taught inthe English classes. Ithink the Teachers need to be paid more and have more freedom in selecting the cirriculum.

Posted September 18, 2008

To all of those that complain about the overarching emphasis on sports at such a fine institution, you may need to cite your sources. Buchanan High School is famous for its creation of distinguished, principled leaders in the collegiate community, among notable institutions such as Princeton, UCLA, USC, UPenn, UMichigan, UCB, UCD, UCSD, UCI, Stanford, etc. These institutions are not simply 'good colleges,' as remarked in previous reviews. These are superb, exceptional bastions of intellectual stamina. In my graduating class over 80 individuals went on to these fine institutions, including myself now attending the University of Southern California and applying to the top 20 law schools in the nation. There is no doubt in my mind that my success came in part from this great school, where I learned to excel in academia, athletics, leadership, community service, and citizenship.

Posted August 5, 2008

It's the Berkeley of California high schools! Seeing as it is a public school, it's standards are that of a privately-funded 9-12 institution, and often its facilities are of higher quality. Our Athletics Program is average; not too bad but also not top notch, depends of the school year. Co-curricular activities stand out though. Specifically, the Performing Arts Department is very dedicated and is seldom rivaled when it comes to competition. Community outreach is also a huge concern with Buchanan. The annual Matt Mueller Blood Drive and Ambiance Fashion Show donate considerable profits to the nearby Children's Hospital and other activities demonstrate the student body's enthusiasm to help out in their community. Demographics are key when it comes to social interaction and the variety of culture, ethnicities, and religious background help mold the students into friendly and accepting citizens. Mostly...

Posted July 12, 2008

I've spent only 1 year (sophomore) so far at this school. I moved from Fairfax County, VA (which was an affluent D.C. suburb) where the schools were far superior (probably due to funding), so my criticism may be overly-harsh. Highly overrated school, supposedly one of the best in California (which says something about the sad state of public schools in the state.) Suburban location, most students drive/take the bus. Incredibly immature student body mixed with a hilariously strict staff makes for an odd situation. Dress code is poorly thought out, they will send you home for having slight peachfuzz on your chin if you forget to shave. The school has a very spread out design, be prepared to walk across the whole academic campus several times on Mondays when you have all classes. Decent school if you're a mindless drone who's goal is to get into a good college.

Posted April 3, 2008

As a student, I have found Buchanan to be the most positive learning environment out of all the school I have attended. The teachers care about you, and the co-curricular activities are simply the best. Also, there is an extensive range of classes from the basics for those slightly behind, to others ahead of the game. Attending any other school would simply be out of the question.

Posted February 29, 2008

I lived in Dallas, Tx for 9 years and just recently came back to Clovis. I absolutley love it here. Buchanan offeres something for everyone and it's not as many people think 'an athletic school'. Grades come first here. Yes athletics are a major part of Buchanan, but it's a major part of every high school. Without all of the extra curricular activities high school just wouldn't be the same. Yes, sometimes it is hard to keep up my grades and do my athletics but I also know that it isn't that easy to keep up with everything once you are out of high school so this teaches me to balance my time, sort out my priorities, and work hard. I love Buchanan and i wouldn't change schools for the world.

Posted February 2, 2008

Buchanan Is Such a great school. My son came from Fresno Unified and all his grades were an average on a D-. Since his two years at BHS, he has an average of a B. Buchanan Hish School isn't a stuck up school! They just take PRIDE in what they achieved!! Some thing Fresno Unified Doesn't have and never Well!!!!! ANd yeah Buchanan is a great school!!! U Will LOve this school! Ome of a kind.

Posted May 21, 2007

How can one say that buchanan is good at taking standardized tests, but the academics is poor? For one, no one can prove that, and the job of the teachers and the job of the school is to meet the standards that the state provides and buchanan does this with flying colors. Buchanan boasts a top notch athletics program as well as top notch facilities. The teachers are top of the line at the standard level as well as the Advanced Placement level. Buchanan earns every stardardized score it has earned.

Posted June 9, 2006

Definately has surpassed Clovis West High as top school in the Central Valley within it's 10-15 year range of being open.

Posted March 22, 2006

As a parent moving from Orange County, I am extreemly impressed by Buchanan's programs and with Clovis as a whole. We are so glad we made the move. Buchanan was worth it!

Posted February 23, 2006

BHS is a large public high school that excels in the sports arena but lacks in academics. Like most CUSD high schools, the kids are taught very well how to take standardized tests. I think the test scores over estimate the knowledge of the students. If you are an athlete of some repute you will like the facilities. Really top notch from a grand stadium and track to weight rooms etc. Overall, I would give the school an A+ for sports and a B- for academics.

Posted February 3, 2006

Great school that really prepared me for college. Athletic opportunites are amazing.
—Submitted by a former student

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

327 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

658 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

301 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

251 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

555 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

551 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

557 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

575 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

218 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

584 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students51%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)75%
Parent education - college graduate87%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate95%
Parent education - declined to state77%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students20%

Parent education - college graduate72%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate80%
Parent education - declined to state71%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

583 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

582 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students95%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

School start time
  • 7:50
School end time
  • 2:45
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Chinese (Mandarin)
  • French
  • German

• Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator