Compton High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Compton

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $175,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted March 18, 2014

I love my school and proud to say I GRADUATED from Compton High! And those who are ashamed of being from Compton High should be ashamed of themselves because Compton high is not the best school, but it did its best!

Posted January 27, 2014

The staff at Compton high is very lazy ! The nurse is never in her office . Overall Compton high is a horrible school.

Posted April 29, 2013

this school is the worst. i attended this school four years ago and i have to say that now im in college and what has happen is that while others take so little time to write an analysis essay i take the whole day. I did not learn any writing skills while I was in this school which in fact I had to teach myself. Teachers are not motivating some come in just to get their paycheck. Once i asked a teacher from Compton for help in a math problem and he told me to get help from my classmate. I hate this school teachers are there to help you not to send you back to your seat. Also my counselor was trying to put me in a non-college prep course until he saw my GPA which was high and then offered me something else. One last thing stay away from this school this school will get you no where. Im on my way to grad school and everything i have learned i owe it all to my college professors and TA's.

Posted September 17, 2009

Compton High has change had a enormous impact in the local community in the past recent years. Compton High rocks!

Posted May 11, 2009

As a parent this would not be the school of choice. As a former classified worker who worked at this school for 5 years , I feel there is nothing wrong with this school. It is up to the student to apply themselves, even the PE dept does testing preps for the students during testing times , there is a lot of stigma tied to this school which is sad , the school just needs more money and attention but the teachers there really care and so did I , the school has lots of potential and I only had one fight per year in there area where I worked believe it or not. The school is like any other high school filled to capacity. you go Tarbabes !!!

Posted April 28, 2009

As a recent Compton High grad, it pains me to see the delusional lens of some of its current students. Compton High is by no means a great school. It does, however, have academic potential and try to aid its 'better' performing students as best it can. Yes, I too hate that all the negative stigmas tied to our city and school. Nontheless, the fact remains that we are a low peforming and achieving school. It's great to take pride in our city, and continued family generations of schooling; it is not okay to deceive ourselves. Not until recently has the administration been stable. It tool from my brother's time (2000) until I graduated (2007) for us to keep a prinicipal. Although A.P. and honors teachers are pretty hepful and dedicated, the rest of the student populus (and mind you, greater students populus) do not receive the same attention or nurishment.

Posted September 21, 2008

i'm currently attending Compton High and I think it is a great school with a lot potential. I'm taking AP and honors courses and it's a good challenge for me. If only stuents will the theses challenges, the school would be a better school. There are great teacher and some not so great teachers. I do think that some of the classrooms need to be remodel. I really do think this is a great school.

Posted September 18, 2008

Compton High School is a great school. it has many activities and clubs. I love it n miss it so much!!!

Posted December 27, 2007

This school has plenty of oppportinities for students such as :music,sports,and clubs.

Posted November 14, 2007

This school is great and is great for all nationailties.

Posted November 1, 2007

As a parent I want to say I graduated from compton high my kids attended c-high and still do. I grown up in compton so I want to support the school I graduated from. I must say it very different from when i attended (c/o 1988). It has lost a little of it touch. The kids do as they please. They don't have respect for the adults. I attend alot of c-high football games. I visited the school and the kids are wild always out of class, mouths are very bad. I have also attended the security office and the children do not have any respect for them either and it could be because they talk bad. These kids our becoming young adults so they need to be treated as we adults would like to be treated with respect. That would be a start.

Posted June 30, 2007

Well, I am acurent student at Compton High School and feeel that it is a great school where many individuals become successful. People's minds are set to perceive that Compton High School is a bad school because of its location; however this is not the case. People don'y really know the talented teachers and students that go to Compton High School. People should stop having a negative mentlity of the school because of its location and should dig deeper into the positive things that lie withing Compton as well as Compton High School

Posted June 8, 2007

I love Compton High even though we have our problems its still a great school

Posted May 1, 2007

Granted there's few, but not enough teachers who believe in their students. If we expected more from them, they'll achieve more! As a C-high alumni, I've had to work twice as hard as my classmates in college to catch on to basic writing/math skills I should have been exposed to in high school. Its embarrassing, frustrating and unfair! I still break down, even now as a student in graduate school. Sure we don't want to spread the negative Compton myth. But lets get real people! Its not okay for our schools to have such poor attendance,test scores,student violence,indifference from administrators/staff, no books, dirty classrooms...A 'C' on their grade report? (My little sister is a student today) As a proud alumni, I must admit my experience in C-high has pushed/motivated me forward but held me back at the same time. Demand more for your kids! I do for my siblings.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 21, 2007

I really think that Compton high school is a wonderful school.Many people think that it is a horrible school because of it's area,which is not true.Compton high has great teachers who care to teach and aren't there just for the money. It is really up to you and your child on what they do.I really enjoy attending Compton high.Thank you very much for listening to me I really appreciate it,

Posted December 6, 2006

I personally believe that Compton Senior High School is the best high school in Compton. Dominguez?..I am a student currently enrolled in Compton High School and I am a Senior (Class of '07). I can honestly say that these four years at Compton High have been the best years of my life. I have met life long friends and teachers that I honestly look up to. I am currently enrolled in a class after school that has a lot to do with what i want to do in life. Video Production. I have been in this program for two years and have excelled in it proficienlty. I also believe that Mr. Jones has been the best princial C-high has ever seen. Thank You Mr. Jones for Everything. Sicerely, A Lady of '07

Posted September 30, 2006

I love this school for my child. It is a great place to learn

Posted August 25, 2006

I am really hurt by these remarks made by parents in these reviews. I currently attend Compton High,and I can assure this school is developing fast!I am part of some of AP and Honors courses,it is very inspiring seeing such great leadership. For me that is a great motivation to move on and be a successful Compton High Graduate.

Posted December 7, 2005

i believe Compton High School is given enough credit in its sports department. Compton High School provides a wide range of sports and extracurricular activities and provides proper training. However, Compton High School suffers a little bit academically. In saying that if you wish for your child to do well academically you should get extra tutoring and follow up on your child's progress. The only criticism i have is with parent involvement. i was never informed about programs that were happening around Compton High School or about my son's behavior. i would only be notified about my son's behavior after each semester but never during.

Posted November 27, 2005

This is the most horrible and unsafe school to send your child. I hated it I had to get up outta there!
—Submitted by a former student

(2012)

1 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

1 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

433 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

555 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

364 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

487 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

461 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

433 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

350 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

462 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

468 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students5%

Parent education - high school graduate31%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)36%
Parent education - college graduate25%
Parent education - declined to state36%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Fluent-English proficient and English only0%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)22%
Parent education - college graduate11%
Parent education - declined to state17%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

463 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

468 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students67%

• Letitia Bradley
Fax number
  • (310) 898-6402

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

601 South Acacia Street