Compton, CA

Laurel Street Elementary School 1

Posted January 10, 2015
This would be my child's second year attending Laurel Elementary School, I must say I am very unsatisfied with this facility. They started of the school year with a new principal which seems to have no interest on the well being of her students nor does she seem interested on the higher learning legacy this school is known for. Not that long ago I had the opportunity to have a one on one get together with Ms. Owoage regarding a serious matter . In the middle of a conversation as I was explaining to her that I had made numerous attempts to get this matter resolved she got up and walked away to speak to someone in the front office and the walked back in as if nothing had happened . Which made me feel disrespected and needless to say the issue has yet to be resolved. I have personally contacted Compton Unified School District whom are taking the matter into their on hands . My child will not be staying for the remainder of the school year . Compton Unified School District has outstanding elementary it just happens that Laurel Elementary School is not one . Don't be fooled by the 2012 California Distinguished Award which was given when Frank Lozier was principal.
4 people found this helpful

Posted June 21, 2012
Laurel Street Elementary School really cares about their students. This was my son's first year attending Laurel. I was concerned that he would not be challenged in a way I felt was appropriate. Laurel exceeded my expectations. His Kindergarten teacher Mrs. Guillory provided a caring and loving environment that supported and enhanced his academic experience. Students participated in college fairs and cultural events throughout the school year. The field trips were purposeful, engaging, and fun for the students. We had the pleasure of celebrating Laurel's great honor and accomplishment of becoming a California Distinguished School. They are definitely that and more. I would highly recommend Laurel Street Elementary School. Go FALCONS!!!

Posted April 24, 2012
This is a graet school. My 2 kids come to this school and they love there teacher .ms olivares,ms velasco and ms mu os and thers manny more that realy care about our kids..thank u all ..

Posted June 06, 2011
Laurel St Elementary is an awesome school. I am very impressed with the school and best of all with Ms Arias now Mrs Cervantes. She takes pride in her work and it shows with in our children. Thank you Mrs Cervantes and take you to Laurel Elementary School and it's principal .

Laurel Street Elementary School 0

Posted April 19, 2010
It's a winning school that provides great educational opportunities to children.

Posted February 17, 2010
Laural st school really takes pride in their students. Duing ther best is ther aim!!

Posted April 09, 2009

Laurel Street Elementary School 4

Posted September 19, 2008
Laurel Street Scholl really takes pride in their students.

Posted September 18, 2008
This is my child 1st yr here at Laurel and so far I love this school, my little girl has special needs and they have taken all the steps to make sure she will be taken care of even when she has to miss day.....I just want to say my little girl teacher is very nice and takes the steps to show her how to get started for the 1st grade.

Laurel Street Elementary School 2

Posted January 19, 2006
The quality of this school is seriously lacking, school cannot provide proper assistance to the students who really need it, they provide a small afterschool program.. but do not have it for the students who's scores show they need additional help but claim ' first come first served ' allowing parents to use it as a storage house for their children while they are still at work. meanwhile the students who honestly need help are left out in the cold. but, at the end of the year the school and staff will be quick to tell you your child is in need of retention or summer school, while they neglected to hear you all year long. they need more activities art, music, and sports. And the food served is pure carbs.

Laurel Street Elementary School
1321 West Laurel Street, Compton, CA  90220
Last modified Laurel Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laurel Street Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top