Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I feel that my daughter who was homeschooled actually regressed when she attended this school for a year. She actually came home for the first 8 months and did online Homeschooling as well.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My daughter didn't have any actual Science lessons, experiments, or in depth teaching in class. But was expected to enter into the district's Science Fair Project! My son in K came home with a weekly homework packet which he completed in one after school afternoon?

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My son had a child who kept pulling his pants down and exposing hisself in class and nothing more than him being sent to the principal office was ever done! And he did it on more than 3 times! A boy hit my daughter with a closed fist, chocked and smothered her and nothing happened to him as punishment. The kids had food fights in the cafeteria and the cafeteria staff would yell at them and tell the, to shut up. No one is accountable for their actions, including the principal!

My children attended this school 2014-2015. I had a K and a 4th grader. The office staff is unbothered as well as uninformed with the exception of the school nurse who is extremely caring and great with the kids. The school is unorganized, unkept, and a mess. The cafeteria ran out of food, or burnt up the food on more than one occasion, where they ended up giving the kids a cereal bar, while some received an actual meal. During the first three weeks of school my 4th grade child had over eight or maybe nine teachers before they finally settled on a permenant one. My child actually told me that she wasn't learning anything new. No actual Science was taught, but they were sent home with the workbook to do homework. 1 book report the whole yr. K son was referred for speech therapy in Oct & didn't meet with them til May! The principal Dr. Owoaje is a rude & uppity. She will not hesitate to correct you on her title. She's unorganized and unfocused! What was the last straw for me was when my daughter was attacked by an older boy during recess and the students had to intervene. Not the staff or security guard who witnessed this, but two other female students, while adults looked on. When I came to the school to discuss what would happen next with the student, the principal didn't know that I overheard her telling the school nurse who was informing her that a parent needed to speak to her regarding the incident which had occurred earlier. I actually overheard her saying, "I don't have time for this right now, I've been in meetings all day and I'm ready to relax"! Before walking over to me with a fake smile to ask how could she help me. She spoke to me for less than 3 minutes as she was more concerned with attending a staff Luau Party which they were setting up for out back. I almost lost my composure & began seeing red! When my daughters father went up there the next day and requested that at the least during the schools "investigation period", that she keep the other student away from my daughter, she stated that it was his job to tell her to stay away from the kid who chocked, socked, and placed his hands over my child's nose and mouth area at the same time! I had such high expectations as to the standards which I believed came from the leadership of Frank Lozier. New school year, and I transferred my kids to LAUSD and it was the best decision ever!

This would be my child's second year attending Laurel Elementary School, I must say I am very unsatisfied with this facility. They started of the school year with a new principal which seems to have no interest on the well being of her students nor does she seem interested on the higher learning legacy this school is known for. Not that long ago I had the opportunity to have a one on one get together with Ms. Owoage regarding a serious matter . In the middle of a conversation as I was explaining to her that I had made numerous attempts to get this matter resolved she got up and walked away to speak to someone in the front office and the walked back in as if nothing had happened . Which made me feel disrespected and needless to say the issue has yet to be resolved. I have personally contacted Compton Unified School District whom are taking the matter into their on hands . My child will not be staying for the remainder of the school year . Compton Unified School District has outstanding elementary it just happens that Laurel Elementary School is not one . Don't be fooled by the 2012 California Distinguished Award which was given when Frank Lozier was principal.

Laurel Street Elementary School really cares about their students. This was my son's first year attending Laurel. I was concerned that he would not be challenged in a way I felt was appropriate. Laurel exceeded my expectations. His Kindergarten teacher Mrs. Guillory provided a caring and loving environment that supported and enhanced his academic experience. Students participated in college fairs and cultural events throughout the school year. The field trips were purposeful, engaging, and fun for the students. We had the pleasure of celebrating Laurel's great honor and accomplishment of becoming a California Distinguished School. They are definitely that and more. I would highly recommend Laurel Street Elementary School. Go FALCONS!!!

This is a graet school. My 2 kids come to this school and they love there teacher .ms olivares,ms velasco and ms mu os and thers manny more that realy care about our kids..thank u all ..

Laurel St Elementary is an awesome school. I am very impressed with the school and best of all with Ms Arias now Mrs Cervantes. She takes pride in her work and it shows with in our children. Thank you Mrs Cervantes and take you to Laurel Elementary School and it's principal .

It's a winning school that provides great educational opportunities to children.

Laural st school really takes pride in their students. Duing ther best is ther aim!!

Last modified Laurel Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.