Ayers Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted February 14, 2014

My student was diagnosed with moderate autism. He was socially awkward and would not interact with others. He has been attending Ayers only sine the start of this 2013-2014 school year and I can already see the difference in him. What is even more amazing is he now socializes with his peers (in and out of school) and comes home and always speaks about his "friends". He has the most amazing teacher and support staff. The Principal is awesome and caring and the office staff a hit! The PTA and their programs are outstanding. Thank you Ayers for bringing out what I always knew was in my child.

Posted October 5, 2013

I love Ayers, the teachers are fabulous, my daughter is a 3rd grader this year and every teacher she has had has been excellent. Her first Kindergarten teacher made the suggestion to keep her in Kinder another year and I am grateful to her for pushing for it cause it was the best decision we made. The principal this year is wonderful! I am proud to be a parent at Ayers.

Posted September 27, 2013

We have been at Ayers for 2 years and I though we have had principal issues the first 2 years the teachers are amazing! Now we have a new principal that I am very excited to work with. She has a strong vision for how our school should grow with the new common core changes. I am confident that she is the exact principal that our school needs to make this transition as smooth as possible. With motivated teachers and a new strong leader the school has no where to go but up and up! It is an exciting time at Ayers and we are proud to send both of our children there.

Posted September 27, 2013

As a parent to several children who have attended Ayers, I have to say I have been very happy with the school. We have had to go through some difficult changes with principals etc, in the past few years, but the teachers and parents have stayed strong and have united to continue to make Ayers a wonderful place to learn. We have a wonderful PTA that is always striving to provide assistance to the teachers, plan fun activities all year long for the students and remain a positive group for the school. And with the new principal, the staff, parents and students are looking forward to a very successful school year!

Posted September 23, 2013

Ayers is a fantastic school! Even amidst multiple principal changes over the past several years, our parent and teacher dedication has remained strong. And finally it seems we have found a wonderful leader in our new principal, Mrs. Petersen. She is positive, professional, and seems to be partnering beautifully with the staff and PTA. Ayers has a very active PTA that is dedicated to serving the needs of the entire school. One of my daughters attended Ayers K-5 starting in 2007 and the other is still there. Ayers, like all MDUSD schools, is not free from challenges/problems but with a responsive staff and active, supportive parents, our school continues to thrive.

Posted July 31, 2013

I have been extremely happy with Ayers Elementary School. I have two children who have attended Ayers. One is going into 4th grade and the other graduated the year before last. The staff and parents are very dedicated and involved and have made both of my children feel comfortable in the classroom and proud of their accomplishments. I would recommend this school to any parent who is new to the area or is contemplating on placing their child/children into a public school.

Posted March 30, 2011

My son has been Bullied by other students at this school and his teacher. My son has had issues at this school non stop since day one. His attitude at home changed he became aggressive and violent at home because of the stress at school. The issue was brought up to the NEW PRINCIPAL on numerous occasions and she did nothing about it. This is a epic FAIL of a school. I had even talked to the teacher and was brushed aside more then once. And since my son is now having depression issues we have pulled and are looking for a new school. Thank you AYERS for destroying a bright kid that scored in the 99% percentile on the star testing last year your fail not ours.

Posted May 8, 2010

My son was in a Concord private school last year, and we transfered him to Ayers this year. I thought that spending all that money on private school was getting him a better education, but it turned out to be just the opposite. He is getting a better education at Ayers, and he is much happier. I have noticed that the teachers are very focused on the 'teaching' part of their job. The parents and PTA seem to do the rest. There is tons of parental involvement. The new principal is awesome! She truly cares, and has called me on a few occassions to talk about my son, even though he wasn't in trouble. I highly recommend Ayers.

Posted October 19, 2009

Ayers has a great group of teachers, staff and very involved parents. It is a very warm enviorment. I do wish academically that expectations were higher. I think many children arecapible of much more.

Posted July 16, 2009

All of the teachers have been very good and the Parent involvement it great. Teachers have always been happy to meet with me on any issue and go the extra mile to help challenge and encourage my son. Also Mrs. Baum does a great job working with the kids. I currently have a 4th grader at Ayers, but my other children attended a public school in Walnut Creek. One note: I do see lower expectations of the kids of the kids - especially in terms of writing and reading compared to what was taught at the other school and agree that they could be pushed a little harder.

Posted July 30, 2008

Ayers is one of the best schools around; excellent principal; fabulous dedicated teachers; friendly and helpful office staff; lots of parent involvement; hard working PTA; very responsive to parent needs; high academic expectations; wonderful resource and special education staff; the best in the area!

Posted August 31, 2006

I love this school as do my children.The teachers are very involved. There is a lot of parental involvement which seems to help push this school further. I do think the children could be pushed a little harder academically. I could not imagine my children going to a more wonderful school.

Posted April 13, 2006

Academically this school is pretty good. However, the lack of supervision and the attitudes of the staff regarding bullies is unacceptable.

Posted April 9, 2006

Overall we have been pretty happy with the teachers at the school, Although I do feel that their expectations from the students are quite low. Most times my kids have 1 page of homework that they can complete in 5-10 minutes. My kids are not challenged enough (my kids are very happy about their homework, or lack thereof). They still have music and band, and my son seems to enjoy this.

Posted July 14, 2005

This is a fairly good school academically - the majority of the teachers are truly dedicated to the students and work hard to make sure the students understand the material. The facility could use some upgrading - it lacks air conditioning - which can be a problem during the hotter months. There is an adaquate amount of parental involvement at the school - especially in the lower grades.

Posted June 15, 2005

Rigorous academics. Music programs are excellent.

Posted May 25, 2004

Ayers Elementary is in need of some strong leadership, which I am sad to say it currently lacks. I had heard some good things about the school before we enrolled, so I am sure at some point it was above average. Now between the lack of strong leadership and no programs to speak of, the children there just seem lost. I have been talking to other parents in the area whose children went to Ayers for a period of time before they decided on private school or home schooling. The answers over and over are the same: no programs & staff that allow children to harass other children on a constant basis. Someone needs to come in and clean up Ayers Elementary now for the sake of the children.

Posted April 29, 2004

This school needs to be shaken up, new staff, a more diverse staff. This school doesn t have one male teacher on staff fulltime. The Principal and her staff do not live up to their policies about bullying. Yard supervisors are not paying attention or not caring about wrong doings on the playground, so the kids do not report it. If it is reported and action is taken the student now becomes subject to more bullying on and off campus. This school needs major help, the superintendent needs to step in and take charge for the sake of the children.

Posted November 2, 2003

I went to Ayers Elementary and I had the time of my life! I loved all of my teachers, made great friends, and learned everything I needed to know to prepare me for middle school. The teachers were ALL very qualified and knew what they were doing! I felt extremely safe everday I went to school. I now attend a private school and I truely believe that Ayers was the closest thing to private school that you can get in a public school.

Posted June 1, 2003

Lack of programm, and constant lack of qualified teachers leave kids wondering what are they doing at shool in 1st grade. What a deal !

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students44%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5120 Myrtle Drive