Posted November 07, 2014
My child is now a 3rd grader here at highlands. It's been a wonderful experience since kindergarten for us as well as our child! I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Highlands Elementary School 2

Posted May 17, 2014
While our child's teacher was well meaning and personable, we regretted not selecting a home in a better school district. Teachers have very few resources, which are exclusively directed towards meeting Common Core reading and math standards. No computers in the classroom or foreign language program. I have never seen such a pitiful library in an elementary school, despite the constant PTA fundraising. While several reviews boast lots of "parental involvement," this involvement mainly consists of large numbers of unemployed parents loitering without purpose and further congesting the chaotic pick up and drop off process. I think the school's rating of 8/10 reflects its test scores compared to other (poor performing) California schools, but otherwise, I would rate this school a 5. Glad to be moving to a better district next year!

Highlands Elementary School 1

Posted January 06, 2013
I would overall rate this school as being only worried about child attendance and money! The overall feeling at this school is that you must be there whether your child is sick or not so that the school gets the payment for your child being there. I have a teenager who has gone to many schools prior to us living her where we had much better experiences. Since we have moved to concord and our child has attended highlands its been a nightmare! I can't wait till we move, and if we don't move soon we are considering putting her in concord Christian just to get away from the politics that have a heavy sway in this school and also the Mt Diablo school district. It's all about Money and school ratings! I am a fed up parent with a weary child who is barely learning anything with the overfilled classes and impatient teachers.

Posted January 12, 2010

Posted April 28, 2009

Highlands Elementary School 4

Posted January 15, 2009
I have four children that have attended this school so far. The oldest has left and gone into middle school and so I have a kindergartner, a 3rd grader and a 4th grader. I have to say that this school is so great because of the parent involvement and the caring teachers that trully become part of your family for the school year. Each teacher has provided an email address for themselves and has made parent communication as easy as possible. There are so many fun things for the families like the end of the year school bbq and the family movie nights. I recommend this elementary school to anyone who asks. The middle school...now thats another story.

Highlands Elementary School 0

Posted May 25, 2008
I have a fourth grader at HIghlands now and my older son attended K-5th here. Highlands is special because of the amazing parent involvement; fabulous, caring teachers; friendly office staff; attentive, friendly Principal; and even the hard-working, kind custodial staff. Highlands is the only elementary school in the area that has a Science lab (thanks to the supportive parents who help PTA fund this program) The caring Highlands staff also serves the diverse population including special needs children. Few elementary schools in the area provide education for children of ALL needs. Remember this when reviewing state test scores as ALL student scores are lumped together. Overall, the Principal, teachers AND parent community make this school such a wonderful place! There are multiple family activities throughout the year! Many fundraisers but, many fun, FREE events like Family movie night too! We are proud to be a Highlands family!

Highlands Elementary School 4

Posted January 23, 2008

Posted January 17, 2008
We moved into this neighborhood for the schools. Little did I know that Highlands would be such a pleasure for our son. The teachers are superior. The parental involvement is amazing. We have met so many involved parents. Not just Moms, but many dads! I have never seen so many active fathers at a school. The teachers are caring and have a realistic interest in my child. The principle even know my kid's name. We are so happy!

Posted January 17, 2008
I had my daughter at a private school in Walnut Creek for Kindergarten and first grade. I put her in Highlands for second grade because I was frustrated with the education she was getting at the private school level. She is getting a far superior education at highlands because of the teachers. I am saving about $10,000 a year now sending her to public school and she is getting a much better education thanks to the teachers and parental involvment at Highlands! Thank You mdsd for your teachers!!!!!!!!

Highlands Elementary School
1326 Pennsylvania Boulevard, Concord, CA  94521
Last modified Highlands Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highlands Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top