Concord, CA
After care: No

Posted February 22, 2010
Carondelet was hard for me as an odd person. It was very cliquey. So many girls are fake. It's almost a standard for a normal Carondelet girl to be bubbly and talkative - though that is not true for everyone. Also students who are in sports are much more appraised than those who do not. The school lacks individuality as seen in the uniforms, and caucasian dominance. Though the upside of the school is its safety and education. Never have I seen physical violence. It's a good school for getting into a good college, and there are a couple of amazing teachers. Parents, if your daughter is an outcast, she will be much happier elsewhere. If there's a money issue, try to sign up for the Work Grant program which will cut the tuition in half.

Carondelet High School 4

Posted January 10, 2010
I just graduated from Carondelet last year and it is an amazing school for teenagers. Yes, the Deans will ocassionally give you problems but the education is worth it.

Posted November 18, 2009

Posted August 17, 2009
Sending my two daughters to Carondelet was a matter of choosing between the lesser of two evils, public vs. private. Although my daughters both excelled academically, it was mostly through their own efforts. 'All that woman is capable' is really all about sports, there is very little encouragement to those who are not involved in sports or extra curricular activities which are controlled by the 'in crowd' of students and teachers. I agree with other posts that the administration looks the other way for those who 'play the game'. Rules are not enforced fairly. The good teachers are marginalized for not playing the game. Dealing with administration was frustrating; they were not willing to listen, only dictate.

Posted January 16, 2009
I feel as though Carondelet has somewhat taken away from my normal high school experience. Its faculty is obsessed with rules and regulations (except with a few special students to which they willingly turn the other cheek) and stifle individualism. Many of the teachers are overprotective of their jobs and are unwilling to make class interesting and creative. The clubs, and sports are very political and often undesirable or impossible to join. Carondelet also makes no attempt to help its students socialize with the De La Salle students, which are separated from one another simply because of gender. In no way do I feel that I would have been 'distracted' by boys nor do I feel that segregating genders is a normal part of adolescence. Although it prepared me quite well for college I don't feel that I am any more prepared than many of my public school educated classmates

Posted December 30, 2008
Completely overrated. Carondelet has managed to convince parents that they should pay above average tuition for an very average education, accompanied by bullying from the staff and administration. Their motto-- 'all of which woman is capable'--falls flat, as they are much more interested in sports achievements and length of the uniform skirts than academics. They want the girls to conform; thoughtful questioning and critical thinking are unwelcome and quickly quashed. The college counselors are not only useless, they are harmful, discouraging the girls from reaching for colleges that might be a stretch for them. Many of the faculty and staff have been there for years and their primary interest is in protecting their own turf. The physical plant is very attractive and appealing, but there is nothing of substance inside.

Carondelet High School 3

Posted October 15, 2008
Carondelet provides a solid education and safe environment for young women. I was stimulated in my academic strengths and aided with my weaknesses. But the gender inequities between Carondelet and De La Salle make me more and more uncomfortable after graduating Carondelet and, recently, college. They'll feed you a standard line about 'separate administrations' to justify flagrantly inequitable rules while simultaneously co-mingling the students during break, lunch, and upper division classes. The gender integration is great, but the inequities, such as the uniform requirement for girls only and the off-campus lunch privileges for boys only, are the result of sexist policies. Also, my freshmen year at CHS, a fundamentalist guest speaker addressed our class on such issues as the sin of divorce and of abortion in the case of rape or incest. This has disturbed me for years.

Carondelet High School 5

Posted April 17, 2008

Posted April 14, 2008
I had two daughters attend Carondelet. Academically they did very well but I found the environment extremely cliquish within the students, parents, and some of the teachers. If you aren't willing to 'play the game' you will be on the outside. The rules are not enforced fairly, i.e. uniforms, and exceptions are made constantly if you know which buttons to push. There are a handful of wonderful teachers that are committed to these girls and they made it all worth while.

Posted January 12, 2008
Carondelet is an excellent school. The academic program is challenging and left me very well prepared to graduate early from college and attend professional school. The environment is very nurturing and the extra-curricular activities are great. I loved Carondelet and hold it dear to my heart today.

Carondelet High School
1133 Winton Drive, Concord, CA  94518
Last modified Carondelet High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Carondelet High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top