Lincoln Alternative Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Corona

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $233,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,260.

Posted January 24, 2014

Lincoln is a fantastic school, and I have been very happy with my kids here. We have a strict dress code, other parents at other schools think that is "lame". However, I believe it teaches kids to have respect for authority, which unfortunately is a rarity these days. The teachers are great, and our new principle Mr. Leedy is amazing! He has brought new life to Lincoln. Just this year alone, he has brought back or added fun activities, and events for the kids, and the whole family. I couldn't be happier!

Posted September 4, 2013

Our school offers a strong emphasis on the basics of education. Constant push to make our kids better students and just better people in general. The staff is amazing. Our new principal, Mr. Leedy is a breath of fresh air.

Posted September 3, 2013

I love Lincoln! Not only great in academic, but the kids are thought to have discipline, respect towards other, and high patriotism. Great parents participation.

Posted February 5, 2013

I have been connected with Lincoln Alternative for quite some time and find it an excellent school. The expectations of parents and staff to maintain high expectations for students both academically and behaviorally is superb. The administration is professional and keeping LAS at the forefront for the betterment of our children is important to them. Teachers are open to new ideas while consistently keeping the original philosophy of the school which are high expectations, challenging academics, structured environment, parent involvement and patriotism. Lincoln Alternative is an excellent school.

Posted April 25, 2012

Lincoln Alternative School has been my school of choice for 21 years. All three of my children attended Lincoln and absolutely loved it ! They have excelled ever since. I believe their success largely came from an outstanding education achieved at Lincoln. I am also a teacher at Lincoln having taught several different grade levels over the years, as well as having been a volunteer parent for a period of time when I was a stay home mom. I have found teachers and parents at all grade levels to be child focused, ensuring that every student gets the best education possible. Change is inevitable in any institution. However the ideals of patriotism, respect, discipline, and receiving an excellent education have remained constant at Lincoln.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 25, 2012

I am new at this school and I was greeted with a cold welcome. My daughter does not like the school and complains that she does not trust the staff to protect her. I have not had much interaction with the school. Does not appear to be a very welcoming school. I'm not familiar with any of the staff ar admin, but when I presented the principal with an issue I believe he dealt with it the best he could (I hope). People are experiencing difficult times and we are all human. I believe you have to look at the whole picture. One mans trash is another mans treasure. What might work for one, may not for another. Gather the information needed to make the best decision for your child. For our family this is not the right fit. I believe emotional support is just as important as academic support and my daughter is not happy at school. I am researching new schools to transfer her. Good luck to you all and thank you for the helpful reviews.

Posted March 4, 2012

The budget cuts impact EVERY school in California not only Lincoln. It is sad. But I still believe Lincoln is a very good school. The parents involvement has been very high already in Lincoln, but now parents have to step in more to help. And in my opinion, we should give a little bit more time for the new principal + new asst. principal to prove their work. My youngest son is in one of the best public schools in Yorba Linda that got Blue Ribbon tittle, because we can't find similar program close by in Corona for him. The facility of the YL school is beautiful and high tech (with big touch screen board + teacher laptop in every class), the teachers are awesome, high scores, but I feel Lincoln teaches more than academic stuffs... patriotism, respect, hard work, and discipline. That's the reason why I will keep my kids in Lincoln, though YL school has a same distance (even less) as Lincoln from my house. I don't mind a lot of homework, though I wish the optional enrichment homework gives opportunity to learn advanced skills not only busyworks. Overall, I am pleased with and still believe in Lincoln.. especially if we, the parents, keep work together with the school.

Posted March 2, 2012

We have been at Lincoln for 9 years and must agree with previous posters that the school has changed for the worse. Partially this is due to budget cuts, which the school cannot help, but it is also due to a change in philosophy. The current principal is a good administrator, but shows no interest in the children. The discipline and Lincoln pride once palpable is gone. Lincoln is still a good school, but not the great school it once was.

Posted March 1, 2012

I agree with the last post. My child has changed since she started first grade and does not seam like the cheerful little person she used to be.

Posted January 18, 2012

Posted April 27, 2004 My daughter has attended Lincoln since kindergarten. I also have two siblings that have attended. I am sorry to say that I am very disappointed with the direction the school has taken. Although Lincoln is known to teach to a higher level, I have not found this to be true. The teachers all teach to the california standards test, only. My daughter is not learning the skills that are necessary to acheive great scores in her later school years. My daughter is in 3rd grade, and consistently has a minimum of 2 hours of homework a night. Yet, the work is just busywork. She learns nothing from what is sent home. We are so disappointed with her current education, we are soon going to make the decision to either transfer her from Lincoln to a new school, or to home school her. Submitted by a parent Write your own review

Posted June 18, 2011

I appreciate the school's focus on high expectations and a structures environment. I do wish the teachers exhibited the dress standards expected of students under the dress code. Teachers, especially the male teachers, do not exhibit what is expected of students. The new principal has spent the year watching and experiencing his new school which is much appreciated, especially since he has been a principal for over 20 years. Because of his willingness to observe and his past experiences, I will support any changes he makes.

Posted June 6, 2011

I have had a child go thru Lincoln and is currently going to enter her Junior year in high school. She is a straight "A student and the disapline she learned early on from Lincoln has been very beneficial. Yes Lincoln is very strict with the academics but this will sever them well as there schooling continues. I also have a 1st grader and next year a kindergardener that will go there. Is it tough? Yes, but in this day and age, it needs to be. The teachers are very helpfull if the student struggles. Take advantage of what help the teacher can offer.

Posted June 3, 2011

Lincoln was the biggest let down to my child. Everyone is stereotyped and the priority is not the kids but only the test scores. I was amazed to see how many parents are brainwashed to put academic before the child's emotional needs and how a lot of the children put value on other kids strictly based on their academic achievement. My child has done so much better sense leaving this school.

Posted October 12, 2010

Excellent school! The teachers are all very helpful and they love volunteers. They seem to really, truly care as well.

Posted September 20, 2010

I have a first grader and a kinder both attending Lincoln. This is an excellent school if you want your kids to excel.Initially,my spouse was worried about our younger kid attending Lincoln as she is a strong will child.However, after attending Lincoln for several weeks, I see a tremendous improvement in her behavior as well as academic. I am a proud Lincoln parents. The teachers goes above and beyond their duties.Many parents volunteer and are very involved with school activities. The PTA are very active.My kids are getting excellent education and discipline.Best of all, they love their school and come home smiling. For parents who like to attend Lincoln,be prepared for tons of school work and sitting with your kids if you opt for this school. It take both parents and teachers, working together,to produce the best result for your children.

Posted October 9, 2009

We have the best parent involvement and fabulous teachers. We've won the California Distinguished school back to back, the only school in our district to do so. Most parents feel that we are getting a private school education for free. We have teachers that go above and beyond the state standards.

Posted October 4, 2009

The principal and staff are just so caring and patient. Never put down students. Work hard with them.

Posted November 17, 2008

I have a 6th grader who has attended since kindergarten and I also have a 1st grader. I love this school. It is a great, safe environment. I have never seen any problems amongst the students. The teachers and staff are very dedicated. This school has high academic standards.

Posted October 24, 2008

There is no other school I would choose to send my children to. The Principals and teachers are wonderful. The children come first. Whether a student needs to be challenged or needs extra help they have a system in place to help all children. The academics are very challenging and there is a lot of homework but it is worth all the time. I was recently told by my 9th graders Math and English teachers that they can alway tell a Lincoln kid in their class because they are the only kids that can use critical thinking skills. I don't want my children to come out of school having memorized a bunch of information, I want them to be able to take that information and apply it in everyday life as well as their future education. They also teach the kids to be proud they are Americans!

Posted August 24, 2008

I am so proud to have my children attend Lincoln Alternative. The staff and students work so hard and have been recognized as a California Distinguished School in 2004 and iin 2008. This is an incredible accomplishment. The academics are challenging but my students have been very prepared for intermediate school. the dress code is a little extreme but it is part of a program that I travel mnay miles to attend. The teachers, office staff and dministrators really like kids and go above and beyond to provide a fair and consistent academic program. I wouldn't think of going anywhere else.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

157 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students70%