Posted May 24, 2013
My kids have only seen CA schools, so I can't respond in reference to schools outside the state, but the quality of this school when compared to other CA schools is excellent. The big debate that my wife and I have is that we could live somewhere less expensive in San Diego but the schools are not as good. We would end up paying more to have our kids go to private schools than if we stayed in Coronado and sent them to the local public schools. Even then, some of the private schools would struggle to maintain the same standards that Coronado has. The teachers have all been excellent, and the parent support group is great. The PATT and Coronado Schools Foundation make up for much of the budget shortfalls seen in CA. The security has been really tightened up in the last 6 months due to the events in CT. We moved from a top school system in Clovis, CA and I feel more comfortable having my kids go to school here than anywhere we've lived.

Village Elementary School 2

Posted June 13, 2012
I must concur with the previous review. We too have lived all over the country and I found that this was the weakest school that my children have attended. The school does not give letter grades to the upper elementary students, which makes the grading quite subjective. Funding issues and large classes make it extremely difficult for teachers to provide individual attention to students. My children earned high grades but had to play "catch up" upon leaving the school. As the previous reviewer suggested, security is minimal. Military families moving to the area should consider other options. Friends of mine had very positive experiences at Sacred Heart and Silver Strand Elementary.

Village Elementary School 1

Posted June 12, 2012
We are a military family that moves our children every 2-3 years so our children have had the opportunity to experience different philosophies, teaching styles, and school environments. Although the ratings for this school on this site are very high, we have been unimpressed to say the least. First impressions say it all. The office staff is rude, disorganized and disinterested. Security is very poor. Most of the time the secretary does not even look at you when you walk in the door. Sometimes there are no badges, and people just walk right on through the door. The gates are not locked at times. The principal treats the children like they are in preschool. There is very little discipline and structure. The emphasis for the school is PE. Academics are not encouraged. My children say the work is boring. The teachers are not motivating and do not encourage students to reach their full potential. My children arrived here at least a year ahead coming from the east coast. Guessing we will need a tutor to help them catch up when we get back..the quality of education is so poor. I know the military likes to live close to work, but I would not choose this school if i had to do it all over.

Posted November 20, 2011
My children went through this school. It was fantastic for most of the time they attended. The teachers are great, very friendly. The events throughout the school year really brought the community together. The school lost a lot of it's lighthearted and fun nature when the (now not-so-new) principal took over. She gave it more of an institution feel, closed lunches to parents, canceled some of the yearly events. Her questionable leadership aside, it's a great place for an education due to the spirited and talented teachers who work there. She just squashed the mood of the place. My kids are in the middle and high school now. I've read in the paper that the current principal will be replaced after this year. I'm glad. I hope the mood over there improves once she's gone.

Village Elementary School 4

Posted August 20, 2010
The teachers at this school are terrific! The parents are very involved and committed to making sure the kids get the best education, even with all the budget cuts here in California. Wish I could give the school five stars, but the administration at the school (principal and lead teacher) is abyssmal. They are completely nonresponsive to parents. They have very little interaction with the kids, nor do they seem to want to. Thankfully, the school thrives despite them or I would have pulled mine out long ago.

Village Elementary School 4

Posted June 24, 2010
The preschool teacher is superior. She works closely with the kindergarten teachers to ensure her kids are ready to enter kindergarten. The kindergarten teachers are experienced and child-centered. The teachers in the other grades are also excellent (a couple should retire as they don't seem to enjoy teaching anymore). The PATT is essential to the school and is very active (if not overbearing at times). The school would not have what I consider to be essential programs without the hard work of these parents. There is a definite deficiency in leadership at the school. The lead teacher is the backbone of the school. She works hard and essentially runs the school. Why isn't she the principal? To describe the principal as a figure head overstates her influence at the school. She seems to go here and there with no real role and is a cheerleader at best.

Posted June 08, 2010
We had the good fortune of being part of village elementary for 3 years (kindergarten-2nd grade). My daughter had a wonderful experience and cherishes those memories. The teachers are amazing. I was an active PTA member and I gained an appreciation for all the efforts the staff and faculty make to ensure that they are providing a "private school education at a public school price". They use a holistic approach to educating the students (not solely in reading and math as some posters have implied). My daughter created some of her finest artwork while at village elementary and discovered her passion for science experiments! Anyway, I can compare village elementary to many schools across the country and there is nothing better. Teachers, administrators, parents, students - everyone working together. That doesn't happen everywhere, so take advantage if you are fortunate enough to live in Coronado!

Posted April 22, 2009

Posted March 29, 2009
The special education program is excellent. My son has been in the program for 2 years, now. They have 2 qualified teachers plus extra assistants, along with trained speech and occupational therapists. I have another child in the 'regular' school program. The teachers are superb and he loves going to school. Outstanding school!

Village Elementary School 1

Posted November 15, 2007
I will agree with other parents on here about the level of education. My daughter is not in a combination class, but just the same, the focus is totally on reading and math scores. I don't agree with emphasis being taken off of the science and arts and with the direction this school is taking. I also have a HUGE concern with the safety of my child in this school. I know this is a small town, but there is no excuse for not monitoring who is coming and going in the school. I guess it will take something to happen to wake these people up.

Village Elementary School
600 Sixth Street, Coronado, CA  92118
Last modified Village Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Village Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top